Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old pikapika988

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
 0  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 2

My Karma
Power: 45
pikapika988 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-13-03 , 01:24 PM

I found this platinum setting at Ebay, it says 900 platinum. I am not quite understanding what it means. I looked inside my platinum wedding band it has 950 plat.

Attached Images
ring setting.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

Welocme to DT!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-13-03 , 01:32 PM

Check out this link:

http://www.diamondsunlimited.com /...lloy_mixes.html

900 Platinum is 90% Platinum with a 10% mix and 950 Platinum is 95% Platinum with a 5% mix.

The link provide will give you better understanding!

Edited: Link

Last edited by PlatinumDiamond : 11-13-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

BTW,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-13-03 , 01:43 PM

Both 900 % 950 Platinum are good depending on what is used as the 10% or 5% mix. That link also explains this.

I prefer the 950 Platinum with the S1 mix mostly followed by 950 Platinum with the Ru mix.

Old pikapika988

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
 0  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 2

My Karma
Power: 45
pikapika988 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Thanks Mark
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-13-03 , 02:10 PM

I don't think the seller would know what the 10% mix is. I want to wear it as a everyday ring w/ a oval stone, I always think that platinum is more durable than 18K. Am I rignt?

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-13-03 , 02:19 PM

yep.

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-13-03 , 02:20 PM

Mark My preference is for 950 with ru mixed too.

I think it stays white white. To me. Hard to get it though other than bands.

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 54
headlight is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-13-03 , 03:55 PM

How do you know if you have it with S1 mix or Ru mix??? What is the visual difference? On that note, what is the visual difference between 950 and 900? Does anyone know which plat Stuller uses?

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 84
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-13-03 , 04:16 PM

I have a headache.....

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-13-03 , 04:41 PM

Here's another question: I thought I read somewhere that if something just had a stamp that said PLAT, it wasn't legitimate??? My Stuller mounting has a PLAT stamp inside, and next to it is the Stuller "S" stamp in their logo font. Obviously, Stuller is a 25 year old upstanding company, so how could it be that a stamp of just PLAT isn't legitimate??? The matching band that "fits" with the mounting does say 950 PLAT, some other numbers (50 00) and then the Stuller logo "S". Should I be concerned?

Last edited by headlight : 11-13-03 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jolie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Jolie is on a distinguished road

Stuller Plat
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-13-03 , 07:26 PM

I have a Stuller Solstice set and it is stamped "950 Plat 50 Co" which means it is 95% platinum and 5% cobalt. I am told by a jeweler whom I trust that this is an acceptable alloy, as pure platinum is too soft for a ring, and the 5% cobalt is used for hardening.

The only "concern" is that your jeweler be made aware of the 5% cobalt because if you need to have the ring re-sized, for example, the jeweler needs to know the alloy for welding purposes.

I don't believe there is anything "wrong" in Stuller using a platinum-cobalt mix. The ring is strong; I haven't had any problem with the platinum retaining its white appearance; and there is no need for plating (as I believe some alloys such as palladium require).

Last edited by Jolie : 11-13-03 at 07:29 PM.
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

K - here we go ..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-13-03 , 07:27 PM

This link is very helpful for the markings of Platinum:

http://www.professionaljeweler.c o...98/0498fp1.html

Now, if it is with an S1 mix, it should be marked as such. Example:

My two wedding bands marked: 950 PLAT / S1
My nugget ring marked: PLAT - S1

Marked PLAT alone means it is either 999 or 950 Platinum, usually 950 Platinum. The other 5% mix you won't really know unless the maker tells you what it is.

Again, the two links I provided in this thread should tell all, hopefully!

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Steven Kretchmer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-13-03 , 07:42 PM

http://www.lithosjewelry.com/KretchmerBio.htm

The man that came up with the S1 mix in 950 Platinum. His bio is written by Lornie!

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

12 Reasons to Buy PLAT /S+
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-13-03 , 07:50 PM

Taken from this site:
http://www.hooverandstrong.com/mill/plat-s+.htm

1. It is even harder than 90% platinum-iridium, platinum-ruthenium or platinum-cobalt. The hardness of 95% purity is advantageous.
2. It is easier to polish than previous alloys, saving on labor cost.
3. The finish, polished or matte, will last longer.
4. Jewelry made with will wear better.
5. Easier to cast than other high-purity platinum alloys, due to lower melting and flask temperatures, saving on energy costs.
6. Hardness allows the use of thinner material. This significantly saves on the cost of material. Hardness is also better for jewelry clasps and mechanisms.
7. Pieces will not dent or distort easily, saving on repair cost.
8. Designed for an appropriate work-hardenability rate for stamping or forming to give increased strength and springiness to the jewelry article.
9. It blanks and cuts cleanly with much less tool wear.
10. It machines and files crisply without grabbing.
11. Heat treatable to increase its hardness and strength after brazing-intensive work.
12. Can be rolled to one-third its thickness without annealing.

Hope I have answer all your S1 questions

Old 210diamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
210diamond is an unknown quantity at this point
Hits: Out=662, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-13-03 , 08:16 PM

To be legal any mix with 5% or less alloy may be stamped PLAT, PT, PLATINUM without a percentage. A trademark is required.Any mix under 950 needs a percentage next to the platinum stamp plus the trademark. It is nice to list the cobalt or S/1 alloy because if you try to weld them like you would ruthenium or iridium, you would not have a ring left to deliver back to the client
Stuller uses cobalt(not my favorite from a working point of view but fine to wear) and at last check ruthenium for basic bands.
Color: Iridium and Ruthenium match. In fact you can mix the two in one ring without a color problem, you can even mix the alloy and they still work.
900 platinum is most likely iridium and that is a good mix. I do NOT care for the 950 Iridium mix.

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-13-03 , 08:55 PM

so my setting that is stamped PLAT followed y what I am guessing is a C on the top left corner of a K is what?

I was told 10% ru mix. As this is what they were told from the fabricator (manufacturer)

edited to be more descriptive

Last edited by Raech : 11-13-03 at 08:56 PM.
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-13-03 , 10:50 PM

Jolie -- Thanks for that Stuller info. My band must then read "50 CO", and not "50 00"! (It was hard to read while holding the loop in one hand and trying to view the markings on the ring in the other.) And for my e-ring mounting, where it just reads PLAT, that must mean it is 950. As for my bench jeweler knowing how to work with cobalt, apparently he does because both the rings came in standard size 6 from Stuller and they had to be sized down to 4 3/4, and everything is fine on them so I guess he knew what he was doing!

Mark -- I can tell I'm frustrating you! I'm sorry about that, don't mean to! I did read that link when you first posted it here on DT a number of weeks ago. But it still doesn't answer the question as to what the VISUAL difference is between 900 and 950, as well as the diff between 950 SI and 950 Ru. Basically, where is the difference that will be seen by the consumer? And do I need to care? For instance, if I am in a store and see the ring of my dreams and it is in 900 plat, do I need to say, "Ooh -- love that ring but can't buy it because its not 950 plat"??!!!

Thanks, 210diamond!

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Headlight, I'm not frustrated ...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-14-03 , 05:44 AM

I like good discussions

You really can not tell the difference by looking at 900 PLAT or 950 PLAT.
With 950 PLAT / S1, you may see a slight difference with it's luster. The S1 mix seems to be a tad shinier and the shine lasts much longer. Also, it may have a tad more whiteish color to it.

Where the difference MAY come in, is when the ring is exposed to objects that may scratch or dent the platinum. the S1 mix is MUCH harder to scratch than the 900 and a tad harder to scratch or dent then 950.

That's about the jist of it when comparing the 900 to the 950, visually!

Hope this helped answer your question

Edited to add: But remember, the other percentage of the mix makes a BIG difference too, in it's hardness and maybe even in it's luster. You won't know the mix unless the maker tells you or if by chance it is marked in the ring. 900 should be marked as such!

Last edited by PlatinumDiamond : 11-14-03 at 05:48 AM.
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

on another note ...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-14-03 , 10:30 AM

for the value of the platinum itself, 950 is 95% platinum and 900 is 90% platinum ... 950 would be worth more, precious metal wise, because of the little bit more platinum percentage, just as 18k gold is worth more than 14k gold and 14k gold is worth more than 10k gold.

As far as should you or should you not purchase it if it is 900 Platinum and not 950, that would be all up to the you, the consumer. How much does the ring cost, how well do you like it, is it worth the money, that only you can decide. I myself would not ever get 900, though, because I like all the properties of 950 Platinum S1 (I like hardness and longer lasting luster). 950 Platinum with the Ru mix would be my next choice in platinum jewelry because it is almost as hard as the S1 mix and has more of a platinum percentage than 900 does.

Actually, it is hard to find 950 Platinum S1 out there in the market. Mostly 950 Platinum Ru. is out there now a days.

Go with the ring itself if it is what you like and the price fits your needs, would be my suggestion. My needs may be different than yours, just like some prefer gold over platinum for whatever reasons.

900 with the proper mix, isn't bad, just I am partial to 950 S1!

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-14-03 , 11:25 AM

Mark, your last two posts really helped. It reminded me of my former three-stone ring, which was my first ring in plat. I remember how I like the "hardness" and "weight" of it, being my first plat ring, but it scratched horribly and lost its luster almost immediately, which really upset me. I don't have it anymore so I can't look for any stamp.

However, my plat rings from Stuller which are 950 (don't know if they are S1 or Ru) have a gorgeous luster, almost like the day I got them, and I actually only saw scratches when I looked through the loupe yesterday to see what the stamping was inside the shanks. That's actually why I haven't been able to understand/relate to other DTers talk of the "patina" on their plat because I don't have that on these bands (yet???).

I have another ring in plat, with a gorgous South Sea pearl flanked by a trilliant diamond on each side, set in plat that was made in Hong Kong. It has a PT900 stamp, with the jeweler's logo stamp preceding it. This ring is a "special occasion" ring, so it doesn't get the wear and tear of my Stuller e-ring and band. And even with the perhaps dozen of times I've worn it over the past year and a half of owning it, I can see where it is getting "beat up" on the bottom of the shank (where your finger hits the table), and doesn't feel as "smooth" there, either. I bet my former three-stone was of 900 as well, because that is what started with that shank immediately and I did wear it daily.

So, based on this, I, too, prefer 950 (I don't know if I prefer S1 or Ru as I don't know what I have). As for finding that "dream" ring scenario, I suppose if it wasn't a "daily" ring I would get it in 900 if I loved it so and it was only available that way (too much hassle/money to get it made by someone that works with 950). But for a ring to be worn daily, there is no way I would get anything other than 950 in the future! I am so pleased with how the Stuller bands are "holding up" with their lack of scratching and their gorgeous luster and shine. I DEFINITELY learned something valuable from this thread -- thanks, Everyone and, as always, thanks PlatinumDiamond!!!

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

pikapika988 & headlight ...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 11-14-03 , 12:17 PM

you are welcome!

I enjoyed this thread!!

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 11-14-03 , 02:35 PM

yes but how saturated is S1 in the industry yet?

Do any of the major companies use it in fabrication yet?

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Originally posted by Raech :
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 11-14-03 , 02:48 PM

Quote:
yes but how saturated is S1 in the industry yet?

Do any of the major companies use it in fabrication yet?

I do not believe that the market has a whole heck of alot of jewelry manufactures or custom makers that use S1 as of yet.

Our own DT'r 210diamond of Diamonds Unlimited is the Platinumsmith that I am familiar with that uses it in his platinum rings. He will be more knowledgable in that area regarding your last two questions here.

Edited:
Please, let us know what you find out!

Last edited by PlatinumDiamond : 11-14-03 at 03:27 PM.
Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection

My Karma
Power: 181
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 11-14-03 , 05:04 PM

And platinum is trading today at about $769 an ounce, continuing its recent rise, so expect higher prices "at the pump" or "at the pimp"
depending upon your pernt of view.

That's about twice the price of gold.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 11-14-03 , 06:21 PM

Mark, since there isn't much S1 out there, is it a good assumption that my 950's are Ru?

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Originally posted by headlight :
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 11-14-03 , 11:11 PM

Quote:
Mark, since there isn't much S1 out there, is it a good assumption that my 950's are Ru?

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know. I have heard or read though that the more recent 950 Platinum rings are being made with the Ru mix much more so than other mixes. But again, unless you ask the maker, I couldn't be absolutely sure what mix it would have in with the 950 Plat.

Sorry I couldn't give you a for sure answer on that.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Scott Kay vendors help me find this by informer
Up a Topic Russian Royal Collection posted in JEWELRY by diamondlily
Older:
Down a Topic I need some advice stat by laelelkind
Down a Topic opal bracelet posted in JEWELRY by asschers4vr