Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old headlight

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 55
headlight is on a distinguished road

Arthritic ring shanks?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-10-03 , 07:54 PM

Any suggestions on ring shanks/retrofits for arthritic fingers? I am in need of retrofitting my rings because of this
Would love any input regarding experience with the various options available from either vendors who work with them or consumers who have them.
Thanks, Everyone

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=16902, In=5749
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-10-03 , 08:21 PM

Hi Headlight,

You can send your rings to have a size spring, this is a piece of thin hard white gold alloy (spring) the will clear your knuckles and then it will open to have a nice fit in your finger.
See the attached pictures.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Attached Images
dscn2030.jpg

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 459
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=120, In=1

Headlight
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-10-03 , 08:21 PM

Greg Gates at ringdesigners.com has done something for this problem.

I'll have to look for the designer who specializes in this ring shank. Maybe someone else knows who I'm trying to remember??? You know, the rings are semi-square and they have little hinges on each side ??? anyone ??? I'll see if I can find it....

Irish

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=16902, In=5749
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-10-03 , 08:23 PM

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Attached Images
dscn2031.jpg

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 459
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=120, In=1

Hello Juan
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-10-03 , 08:30 PM

The profile work on that ring is beautiful....

Someone on the forum was looking for an eternity band with 4 prong settings in Plat. or white metal. I told her you've made them before... Do you happen to have a picture handy to post?

Irish

Irish

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-10-03 , 08:41 PM

Irish and Juan, thanks for your input. Anyone else with rings that are made for arthritic fingers?

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

This size spring is an excellent idea!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-10-03 , 08:52 PM

I've never seen or heard of that before....that is neat! That might also work well for the fingers of peoples hands that swell/contract constantly either leaving the ring too tight or too loose. Great item!

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 261
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2028, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-10-03 , 09:12 PM

headlight,
The inner spring ring works really well for those that have moderate sized knuckles. But if you need the ring to open up, nothing beats a Superfit shank. Here's a link:

http://www.superfit.net/industry.shtml

Michael_E signature
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-10-03 , 10:57 PM

Michael E -- I saw Superfit's website and am very interested. I saw that they can retrofit existing rings, so I emailed them to see if the narrow, knife edge shank of the traditional Stuller 6 prong solitaire and its matching band can be retrofitted.
Have you "installed" the Superfit device on any rings?
Thanks so much for your input; I've always hated this progessing issue with my ring fingers, and now was told today by the orthopedic surgeon that I have the beginning stages of osteoarthritis in my hands and I'm pretty bummed about it (yes, I know there are worse things to happen in life!).

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-11-03 , 03:42 AM

headlight,
I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis, hopefully you can hold it off as long as possible.
Yes I have installed a Superfit shank. They come as a complete ring in several different thicknesses. The Superfit shank and your ring are cut to match each other and soldered together. It's straight forward and as long as the bench jeweler understands how the clasping mechanism works there should be no problems. They are a bit spendy, but they are also the smoothest, heaviest and longest lasting solution to your problem.
Juan's solution works very well, (and that ring you posted is really fine Juan !), for bands that are wide enough to accept the sring ring. For narrow bands the sring ring becomes too flimsy to hold up to the stresses of taking the ring on and off. There are a couple other hinged shanks that aren't quite so expensive, Stuller's got several of them in their parts catalog. If you'd like to see them, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a scan of the other available shank types.

Michael_E signature
Old snowflake

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
snowflake is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-11-03 , 09:24 AM

Headlight, I have a simiar problem with large knuckles and small fingers. I asked my jeweler about the shanks that open up and he quoted me a price of $285! The problem with the spring shown here is that the metal on the inside will scrape your knuckle when you are putting it on and taking it off. Sizing "cleats" (small balls soldered into the inside of the ring) are a good idea too but are also really uncomfortable going over the knuckle. These are okay if you put your ring on and leave it on for long periods of time, but I like to remove my rings daily for cleaning, and I found that the metal on the inside (I had the cleats) was really irritating. The shank that opens up is probably your best bet if you can afford it, and I'll probably add them to my rings someday. But for now I use plastic ring adjusters that slip inside the shank after the ring is on. They are inexpensive and invisible (not the tube kind, but the kind that slips totally inside).

snowflake signature
snowflake
Old Grace G

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
Grace G is on a distinguished road

snowflake
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-11-03 , 09:40 AM

Could you please post where you can purchase these inserts?

I am having a lot of spinning trouble with a new ring. It is set up a bit higher than I anticipated and due to the fact that I broke my finger, my knuckle is a bit larger.

I do find if your knuckle isn't too much larger, a thick shank and low set rings help.

Old snowflake

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-11-03 , 10:07 AM

Grace, I got mine from a company called Walter Drake. If you go to wdrake.com and do a product search for "ring size adjuster" it should come up. They have both the tube type and the straight type that I use.

snowflake signature
snowflake
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-11-03 , 12:45 PM

Snowflake, yes, I have been there with the little sizing "balls" and it was horrible. I agree with you regarding the other style causing irritation as well. I've used the various temporary sizing devices out there and it was a constant annoyance to me. I need something permanent. Thanks so much for all your suggestions.

Michael, I sent you an email with my email address for those pictures of various options you spoke of. Thank you!

Grace, I agree with your advice of a wider mm shank and a lower setting. I probably should just get a wide shank with a bezel set stone in a ring size large enough to go over my knuckle and no need to concern myself about "spinning", but I really don't want that look -- Contemporary looks just aren't "me" which is why I prefer prong set, and not only do wider shanks look horrible on me because of my "thick" hands (mind you, everyone, that I'm still only 5'2-1/2" tall, 102 lbs, 38 years old) but they are uncomfortable because of this problem as well. As for low settings other than bezel, my stone is pretty large (RB 3.29) so it can only go so low given its measurements (I did have my jeweler set my stone as low as possible, such that the culet is all the way at the bottom) -- this is my "punishment" for "having" to have the big rock I nagged my DH about for 15 years!!! Why couldn't I just be happy with the 1.01 marquise (D color, yet!) he gave me 15 years ago when we got engaged??? Maybe now I'll learn to just be happy with what I have.

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-11-03 , 01:10 PM

Michael -- do you have a phone number for Superfit? I have searched their website over and over again and there is no number!
Thanks!

Old snowflake

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-11-03 , 01:18 PM

headlight, I agree, permanent is best! Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

snowflake signature
snowflake
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-11-03 , 01:30 PM

headlight,
Here's Superfit's numbers:
Phone: 1-610-449-4383
Fax: 1-610-449-5304

These are something that you really need to have a good local bench jeweler fit to you, so you might ask around and see who's done these in your area.

Michael_E signature
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-11-03 , 06:17 PM

Michael, I found out that my local jeweler that does stuff for me and whom I purchased my mountings from (who did tell me briefly about these options but we didn't go with it at the time of purchase as we thought we would "try" a non-arthritic shank first)does, in fact, work with the Superfit shanks, as well as some others, so they are putting together all the options for us.
Thanks so much, everyone! Any continuing feedback from anyone reading this thread that has additional input is greatly appreciated

Old Grace G

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
Grace G is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-12-03 , 09:45 AM

snowflake!

Thanks for the tip!! I ordered a few different types yesterday and will let you know how they work out. This is for my only "sim" ring (I used up my original platinum setting after I reset the stone in a three stone). Since I don't wear it that often-the temporary solution is okay.

headlight- My low low ring is a three stone of approx 3 carats tw. It is very traditional-but the center stone is only about 4mm to the top. However that stone is only 1.25 carats.

I wish I could give advise on a 3 carat plus solitaire-but what about a euroshank with a traditional low basket?

I know buttercup had M.Morrell design a low ring for a 2 carat stone.

Last edited by Grace G : 11-12-03 at 09:46 AM.
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 11-12-03 , 04:21 PM

Grace, thanks for all of your suggestions. I, too, used to have a traditional, low set three stone ring in plat with a 1.51 center and .70 and .72 as side stones, all in RB shape. I traded those stones in toward my rock, so I don't have it anymore. I did love it, just always "yearned" for the rock and could not keep it if I wanted to purchase my 3.29 RB. As for the euroshank, I have thought about that however, in the event I have trouble with that, I don't believe the euroshank can be retrofitted with the arthritic shank devices so I figure I better stick with the traditional round shape shanks since I am already freaked that my DH has to spend yet more $$$ on these rings (e-ring mount and matching band). As to the low basket, I have considered that, as well. However, I would want a basket with 6 prongs which I don't believe is a "standard" item thus requiring something custom be made while I believe because of the size of the stone it will still have some "play" and turn, thus requiring me to get the arthritic shank put on the ring anyhow, so why spend money on a new setting when I already have one that can be retrofitted. As for the Mark Morrell settings -- absolutely gorgeous, but I know I'll need it retrofitted with the arthritic shank anyhow so, again, why spend more money on mountings when I have one to use that I liked.
Thanks for all your suggestions -- I can tell you really put thought into this and I appreciate that

Old Greg Gates

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
Greg Gates is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=866, In=0

Sorry I did not respond sooner
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 11-18-03 , 10:49 PM

Headlight,

Sorry I did not post sooner. I rarely have the time now with the RingDesigner.com business to get up here like we used to. I miss it because their are some great folks here as you have seen.

If you get a chance, we started a SuperFit thread a while ago.

Here it is:
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31598&highlight=superfit

While I am here HI everyone!

Warmest Regards

Greg Gates

Greg Gates signature
Greg Gates
Co-Founder www.ringdesigner.com

Save Hundreds......Even Thousands
Make an Educated Purchase Decision

503-670-7218
greg@ringdesigner.com
Attached Images
superfit-homepage-ring.gif

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 11-19-03 , 04:13 AM

Thanks so much, Greg, for that thread! I'm waiting for my jeweler to come back with costs to retrofit my e-ring and band.

Old MissGotRocks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 47
MissGotRocks is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 11-19-03 , 08:47 AM

Headlight -
My aunt has arthritic fingers and has had various things done with her rings over the years to compensate for it. She said she wished she had just gone for the shank that 'opens' instead of re-doing her rings several times to accomodate the changing size and condition of her knuckles. I am sorry that you find yourself in a position to have to do such a thing but isn't it wonderful to be able to do it so that you can still wear and enjoy your rings! It is NOT punishment for getting what you wanted - why do we always feel like we pushed our luck in just having something we wanted and then had to pay for it? Too much conscience is probably as bad as none at all. Wear and enjoy your rings - you deserve to have them!

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 11-19-03 , 11:23 AM

MissGotRocks -- thanks for being a "kindred spirit"!

Old ausmith01

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ausmith01 is on a distinguished road

expanded knuckles
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 02-18-04 , 11:53 AM

Another good solution for expanded knuckles is something called the Lockshank. It can be seen at www.lockshank.com. It is an efficient system for retrofitting an existing ring. It is durable, secure, and simple to operate.

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Jewellery with unusual diamond cuts pics attached by indiraxyz
Up a Topic Help me Please posted in DIAMONDS by jtcbtyler
Older:
Down a Topic Need pictures of funky trillion solitaire settings by tashchesh
Down a Topic Help What place can I trust in Minneapolis posted in DIAMONDS by versk86