Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
eyecandygirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-10-03 , 12:25 PM

I read on a website that the use of a drop of olive oil is good for the maintenance of pearl luster. Has anyone tried this before?

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

How do most of you that own pearls clean them?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-11-03 , 10:02 AM

My wife has a real nice pair of pearl earrings and she hasn't cleaned them before ... course she only wore them a few times being I just got these for her not too long ago.

Any particular method regarding the cleaning of pearls?

Edited: eyecandygirl, What is the web site url you saw that info about the olive oil? Sounds interesting!

Last edited by PlatinumDiamond : 11-11-03 at 10:05 AM.
Old pelepup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
pelepup is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-11-03 , 12:24 PM

Hmmm...
I was told to keep oils, perfumes and detergents off of them. After wearing them, I was told to wipe them off with a soft cotton cloth before putting them away.

pelepup signature

Wherever you go, there you are.
Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma
Power: 103
ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute

OH NO
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-12-03 , 01:37 PM

Pearls are relatively soft compared to other gemstones and precious metals.

Cosmetics, perfumes and hair sprays all contain chemicals that can dull the luster of pearls if exposed over extended periods of time. Acids in body oils and perspiration can damage pearls' lustre in the same way. So, put on pearls after applying makeup, perfume and hair spray, and then wipe their pearls afterward with a soft damp cloth to remove any harmful build-ups. Occasional washing with a mild soap is also recommended.

Also, pearls should always be separated from hard jewelry items, whether metals or other gemstones, to prevent them from being scratched. It's best to keep pearls in a soft cloth pouch or a separately lined jewelry box. If you plan to wear your pearls several times a week, it's recommended that you restring them once a year to avoid breakage. The strand must be knotted between each pearl, both to prevent the pearls from rubbing against each other, and to save them from all falling should a break occur.

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

So, just soap and water to clean them,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-12-03 , 03:23 PM

correct?

I'll have to let my Better Half know this info .... thanks!

Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-13-03 , 10:06 AM

Plat Diamond, if you do a google search on 'pearl care' you'll see at least two sites talking about using extra virgin olive oil, just a drop, on pearls.
I think I won't since no one has tried it and you just can't verify the info on the net. It's not cleaning the pearls I was wondering about, it was restoring the pearl's luster. Guess you just have to replace the pearl, no avoiding the expense.

Old Musthave

My Profile
Sapphire : offline
Years:

My Karma
Musthave is on a distinguished road

Re: OH NO
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-13-03 , 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyluck

Pearls are relatively soft compared to other gemstones and precious metals.

Cosmetics, perfumes and hair sprays all contain chemicals that can dull the luster of pearls if exposed over extended periods of time. Acids in body oils and perspiration can damage pearls' lustre in the same way. So, put on pearls after applying makeup, perfume and hair spray, and then wipe their pearls afterward with a soft damp cloth to remove any harmful build-ups. Occasional washing with a mild soap is also recommended.

Also, pearls should always be separated from hard jewelry items, whether metals or other gemstones, to prevent them from being scratched. It's best to keep pearls in a soft cloth pouch or a separately lined jewelry box. If you plan to wear your pearls several times a week, it's recommended that you restring them once a year to avoid breakage. The strand must be knotted between each pearl, both to prevent the pearls from rubbing against each other, and to save them from all falling should a break occur.

This coming from someone who has a massive pearl collection from inexpensive to VERY expensive (check out the pearl thread) I would go with what LL said. She is the PEARL QUEEN and has great knowledge on the subject.

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

I'll go with what LL said!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-13-03 , 11:57 AM

Jeri says THANK YOU!

Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma
ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-14-03 , 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eyecandygirl
It's not cleaning the pearls I was wondering about, it was restoring the pearl's luster.

A pearl's luster doesn't need to be restored if properly taken care of. However, if you rub it with oil it will lose it's luster.

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 92
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3988, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-15-03 , 04:34 PM

They get 'oiled' just being against skin.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-16-03 , 04:26 AM

Just got the pearl replaced. Paid $25 at Amita (Japanese pearl store) for an 'AA' Akoya (white with pink overtone). The jeweller is setting the pearl at no charge.

Edited to say that the pearl is 8mm (same size as the old one)

Last edited by eyecandygirl : 11-16-03 at 04:26 AM.
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 170
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-16-03 , 05:06 PM

Sounds good, eyecandygirl.
I think you got an excellent price too.

Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-17-03 , 12:06 AM

Thanks to everyone that posted. Here the ring with its new pearl. I retired the old one to a silk pouch.
Had a scare at the shop when I picked up the ring. There was a huge scratch over one of the smaller mine cuts! But it turned out to be the thin line of glue stuck to it - thank God!

Attached Images
new pearl.jpg

Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-17-03 , 03:45 PM

Beautiful pearl.

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

I like em' so much now, I bought more AA Quality pearls to tuck away for the future!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-17-03 , 04:12 PM

I heard through the grapevine that pearls are going to go up even higher in costs over the next few years, just as Platinum is on the rise once again!

Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-18-03 , 03:10 AM

This is really frustrating. After 24 hours I realise that the new pearl is way too shiny and new to suit the ring. I'll have to put the old one back on. GGRRRRRR!

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Pouffykitty is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-18-03 , 03:41 AM

just wear it for a while.. you should get used to it soon. I heard that you should dust baby powder... anyone else heard of that?

Pouffykitty signature
Please remain seated, and keep your hands, arms, and legs inside at all time until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-18-03 , 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eyecandygirl
After 24 hours I realise that the new pearl is way too shiny and new to suit the ring.

There is no such thing as too shiny with a pearl. Just like there is no such thing as too sparkly with a diamond . You WILL get used to it.

And pullease ladies no baby powder either. Enjoy your new pearl and wear it in the best of health.

Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-18-03 , 11:38 AM

So well put, ladyluck. Ok, I'm leaving my ring alone for two weeks at least. No more fiddling.

Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 11-18-03 , 09:24 PM

Good idea . It will grow on you I promise. :jum p4:

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 11-18-03 , 11:03 PM

ladyluck is right. A high shine (luster) is a good thing on a pearl.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 11-18-03 , 11:04 PM

Your ring is very pretty!!!
The pearl looks great too :-)

Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 11-19-03 , 03:56 AM

Itbit, I wish you'd do a thread on your antique rings. BTW, have you seen the new collection from Fay Cullen (priority viewing today 18th Nov)? There's the sweetest little saphhire and rose cut eternity there for $195. I'm looking under every drawer and handbag to start a collection for that piece!

Ladyluck, I enjoyed your pearl collection on the 'pearls' thread. I have this pearl necklace that my grandpa bought from Japan in the 1960s for my mother's birthday. Still in its original box. My mother was the 8th child in the family so every present sent to her by her father was always taken by her older siblings. This pearl necklace ended up hers during one rare visit by my grandpa. Its the only thing she has to remember him by so she really treasures it. And since I'm the only one who appreciates vintage jewellery, she's promised it to me - lucky me!

Edited because I can't spell

Last edited by eyecandygirl : 11-19-03 at 04:03 AM.
Attached Images
dscn3527 (small).jpg

Old eyecandygirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 11-19-03 , 03:57 AM

Here's a closer look at the clasp

Attached Images
dscn3528 (small).jpg

Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 11-19-03 , 08:55 AM

It is certainly beautiful and thanks so much for sharing it with us.

I love the way the pearls are graduated. Vintage pieces always seem to have a story behind them which makes them even more alluring. I don't blame you one bit for having an affinity for them. I too love older pieces because of that.

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic PLATINUM NUGGET RING Just in time for Halloween by PlatinumDiamond
Up a Topic Thinking of trade looking for opinions posted in DIAMONDS by marriahlyn
Older:
Down a Topic Can 24K gold tarnish what karat gold is stamped 900 by whiffles
Down a Topic Hello and self introduction posted in Greet New Members by kenfrost