Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old aquila

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
aquila is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-01-03 , 02:59 AM

I wish I had found this place before I bought this stone. Like others I am unsure if I have been taken for a ride.

The Specs:
HRD graded, laser inscribed
1.15ct Princess cut
vs2, E colour
medium fluorescence
Measurements: 5.80 x 5.74 x 4.19mm
Girdle: thin, 2.5% polished
Culet: pointed
Table width: 73%
cr. height: 8%
pav. depth 62.5%
Finish grade: very good

The price, A$19,000.

I am nervous as I purchased this stone on behalf of someone else. They particularly wanted Argyle so I felt a little limited. The stone looks beautiful to my untrained eye but I can't help but think that this is a lot of moolah.

Should Argyle white stones be more expensive? If so, why is this the case? If I understand correctly, Argyle trade in US dollars so the exchange rate at time of purchase will influence the price.

If I have been ripped off, please let me down gently. After all, its only money isn't it? Has anyone here bought argyle white diamonds before (or has sold them).

Thank you all, any information is much appreciated.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 93
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-01-03 , 06:52 AM

That runs about 13117.839 USD more or less

The Argyle mine is in Australia and I believe that only 1% give or take of diamonds from that mine are considered white so it is rare.

I am not an expert on cut and those matters so I can't comment on that. Over here I think the HRD is pretty well respected, but again I am no expert. I can tell you that I personally have not seen a GIA graded stone here though so don't let that panic you. I have looked around pretty hard too. That doesn't mean they dont exist, but just that I haven't seen one.

ancienthills signature
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-01-03 , 06:59 AM

Just wanted to add that in my opinion grading here is on par with or stricter than GIA and I feel that based on the stones I have looked at which have mainly been cut in Belgium that the cutting standards are generally higher than what I have seen at home in the States.

If you were restricted by sourcing then it is probablly lucky you found one at all but I don't know. Generally that is a high price though, but considering your constraints it is maybe a different story. The expert would be Garry Holloway. I suggest you find his website and email him. He is a good bloke but doesn't post here although he used to.

ancienthills signature
Old shahardahari

My Profile
User Awaiting Email Confirmation : offline
Years:

My Karma
shahardahari is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=911, In=6

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-01-03 , 10:18 AM

I am in the wholsale business, I don't know what is Argyle diamond. All I can tell you that the diamond you bought has very nice proportions and quality.
About the price it is hard for me to tell you. I don't know what the normal profit retail stores make, but GIA diamond sells wholsale for a bout $5000p.c or less.

Shahar

Old sapphirekitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
sapphirekitty is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised Shahar,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-01-03 , 01:43 PM

You've never heard of the Argyle mine before?

sapphirekitty signature
Sapphirekitty

"heaven for me will never heaven be without my cats to welcome me"
Last edited by sapphirekitty : 11-01-03 at 01:45 PM.
Old shahardahari

My Profile
User Awaiting Email Confirmation : offline
Years:

My Karma
shahardahari is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=911, In=6

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-02-03 , 10:47 AM

Not really, we're not discussing diamond mines in the wholesale business. Most diamond dealers have no idea about diamond mines, they just know how to buy a diamond and how to sell it. Unless we're talking about rough diamond dealers, they should know more about diamond mines.

Shahar

Old yahalom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
yahalom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-04-03 , 04:27 PM

I would trust your instinct that "this is a lot of moolah". In a local retail store I found a 1.01 G VS2 priced at $6995.00/ct. (NOTE: this is in canadian dollars which is about on par with the aus. dollar), and a 1.05 F SI1 priced at $7250.00/ct. Both stones were very, very fine cut and both were purchased in September this year (at a high canadian/ low US dollar).

Granted these are not E VS2, but you paid more than double per carat for the stone in question. HRD is very respectable and your diamond seems to be VERY nicely cut, I don't like the fluorescence in an E color though....

With the implementation of the Kimberly Process Certification Scheme the premium on some non-african diamonds (i.e. canadian, russian or australian etc.) just doesn't make any sense IMO.

Last edited by yahalom : 11-04-03 at 05:02 PM.
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-04-03 , 04:49 PM

Okay , but he did not want an African diamond and he did not want a Canadian diamond. He wanted a diamond from the Argyle mine in Australia. Not just any diamond would do, it had to come from a specific source.

ancienthills signature
Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection

My Karma
Power: 201
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-04-03 , 05:05 PM

I had a few pairs of argyle socks when I was in high school.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old aquila

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
aquila is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-05-03 , 01:44 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I looked at a few canadian diamonds, Aurias being the easiest to come buy but few were in the colour I was after.

The stone was purchased mid year when Aus dollar was not strong. I guess I got caught up in that. I am also the recipient of pink argyle diamonds that were much better priced with the dollar picking up.

I agree that fluroesence is undesirable in an E coloured stone but difficult to avoid taking all other things into account.

I am not too upset with the premium on Aus/Canadian stones. Some are prepared to pay for the peace of mind when you are assured of the diamonds origins.

Thanks again!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic found my perfect diamond by alhana
Up a Topic Eduardo of Fay Cullen posted in Greet New Members by Eduardo
Older:
Down a Topic Melissa by MrCulvert
Down a Topic Seperated Divorced parents names on invitation posted in Planning a Wedding by manhattan01