Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old kmgarber

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
kmgarber is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-31-03 , 04:47 PM

What is the black impurity in spider web turquoise?

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/product/QL46/

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Nothing at all

My Karma
Power: 68
phoenix will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-02-03 , 02:19 PM

This is from the GIA.

Turquoise is one of the world’s most ancient gemstones. Archaeological excavations have revealed that Egyptian royalty wore turquoise jewelry as early as 5500 B.C. Chinese artisans were carving it more than 3,000 years ago. Native American tribes have worn turquoise as a ceremonial gem and adorned their jewelry and amulets with it for thousands of years. Yet this appealing bluish gem maintains its charm, even today, as a favored accessory worldwide. Celebrities including Cher, Jennifer Lopez, Macy Gray, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Lenny Kravitz have all been spotted wearing this timeless jewel.
GIA’s world-renowned education teaches that turquoise most likely first arrived in Europe around the thirteenth century from Turkish sources. Deriving its name from the French expression Pierre tourques, or “Turkish stone,” turquoise is mined worldwide, including Egypt, China, and the U.S. Turquoise is the present-day December birthstone, and is designated as the 11th wedding anniversary gift.

The Egyptians believed that turquoise possessed magical properties in that it could thwart misfortune and heal a variety of ailments. The national gem of Tibet, turquoise has long been considered to bestow health and good luck. The Apaches thought that turquoise attached to a bow or firearm increased the accuracy of a hunter or warrior.

The gem’s color ranges from light to medium blue or greenish-blue, and is usually opaque. Spiderweb turquoise – a popular variation – displays veins of matrix (its host rock) in web-like patterns. Persian (Iranian) turquoise is considered the finest quality and also the most expensive, and it exhibits an intense light to medium blue, typically with no matrix. It has the ability to take on a glossy polish. Other turquoise varieties include American, Mexican, Egyptian, and Chinese are a significant source today.

Large turquoise stones are common; however the gem is also plentiful in a wide range of sizes, and is often used for beads, cabochons, carvings, and inlays. Trendy fashion designers have more recently sewn it into clothing and bejeweled purses with it. Turquoise’s popularity has varied throughout time. Currently it is a hot item not only for Hollywood divas, but is also universally liked because of its commercial abundance. Its most enduring appeal remains in the American Southwest and among those who are captivated by that region’s mystery and romance, as well as by its blue skies, reminiscent of turquoise’s color.

GIA’s gem experts say turquoise is typically enhanced before it reaches the market, and special care should be taken to maintain its vitality. For example, gem traders commonly impregnate the gem with plastic or wax to improve the color and durability, or dye it with liquid black shoe polish in a pattern imitating the matrix web. GIA recommends avoiding heat and acetone-like solvents. Perspiration, skin oils, cosmetics, and other chemicals may turn a blue turquoise to green. GIA also cautions that when purchasing the gem, one should have a qualified, GIA-trained jeweler verify that the stone is a natural, synthetic or a simulant

Old Captfun

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
Captfun is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-02-03 , 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kmgarber

Limonite.

http://mineral.galleries.com/minera...te/limonite.htm

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 168
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-04-03 , 02:58 AM

Thanks for the information. Turquoise is one of my favorite stones. I find the color beautiful and soothing.
This heavy cuff bracelet has untreated turquoise with spidering. It is a favorite that I wear alot.

Attached Images
turquoise 017asm.jpg

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

Ah, that is very nice bracelet you have there!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-04-03 , 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Itbit
Thanks for the information. Turquoise is one of my favorite stones. I find the color beautiful and soothing.
This heavy cuff bracelet has untreated turquoise with spidering. It is a favorite that I wear alot.

I had a similiar turquoise bracelet years ago and to my surprise I found that I can not wear it because I am allergic to sterling silver. I break out in a rash and the silver turns black, too. I have even tried sterling silver rings and chains, the same thing happens. A jeweler coated the bracelet and even a ring I had, and I still broke out in a rash.

That would be nice to see turquoise stones done in a platinum setting, because turquoise is my favorite colored stone.

Anyway, that is a nice turquoise bracelet you have there!

Old pelepup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
pelepup is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-04-03 , 10:32 AM

I have only realized in the last year or so that my birthstone is turquoise as well. I thought it was just blue zircon but now I have a choice. I've been browsing ebay for some vintage turquoise items. I bought these earrings. They are set in 14k. I have to get them converted to pierced earrings, though. I also bought a vintage pin. It's at the jewelers getting a bale put on it so I can wear it as a necklace. I'm also replacing two small stones (they didn't look original to the piece) with diamonds. I'll put in a pic when I get it back next week.

pelepup signature

Wherever you go, there you are.
Attached Images
dtpics 001.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-04-03 , 02:54 PM

pelepup, your earrings are beautiful!
I adore the pale blue and green hues of turquoise. Here is a turquoise bead I bought from an old rockhound who polished and drilled the nugget.
I had a jeweler make this pendant by adding sterling silver wire. This untreated stone with its color & spidering is one of my favorite kinds of turquoise.
PlatinumDiamond--I know what you mean about silver allergy as I cannot wear sterling silver earrings. The silver in the posts or wires cause my earlobes to itch immediately. I don't even bother to wear earrings unless they're gold or surgical steel. It's a shame, because many of my favorite styles are available in sterling silver ie: Native American silver and turquoise earrings--great designs which I can't wear. I would have a jeweler replace sterling posts with gold if I find the right earrings though. Luckily, I can wear sterling silver bracelets & necklaces with no adverse effects.

Attached Images
jewelry 683sm.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-04-03 , 03:02 PM

Aforementioned bead before its current incarnation

Attached Images
jewelry 631sm.jpg

Old metamictman

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
metamictman is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=506, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-04-03 , 04:39 PM

Quote:

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/product/QL46/

One of the classic turquoises with black webbing comes from the famous Number 8 Mine in Nevada. A geologist-mineralogist friend at one time owned an adjacent property that yielded black-webbed material. I asked his opinion and he thinks (as I do) that the black material is manganese oxide.

Lighter-colored webbing (beige to reddish) found in many turquoises is probably some form of hydrous iron oxide like limonite.

metamictman signature
METAMICTMAN
Old pelepup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-07-03 , 06:20 PM

Itbit, is that considered webbed turquoise? That's cool! I really like the necklace it is hanging from. It looks like folded metal. Is that sterling too?

I finally got my brooch/pendant back from the jewelers. And it is so much prettier with the diamonds. I had him put in .25 ct diamond in the middle and a 15pt diamond on the dangle. These were "oops" diamonds I got on ebay. "Oops" meaning that they were disappointments. The .25ct one was described as third plus carat (it has a small chip, which they disclosed)and the .15ct one has lots of carbon and came out of an earring. But in the necklace they look fabulous!

pelepup signature

Attached Images
dtpics-012.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-08-03 , 02:30 AM

pelepup, your brooch/pendant is gorgeous!!! It has a great delicate antique style. Enjoy wearing it :-)
The neckcuff is sterling; here is a picture of it without the turquoise pendant. I got it at a fair for under $20. I like it because it is solid & comfortable (I find that most neck cuffs aren't comfortable or they don't fit right, riding up or sticking out too far). On it I hang all my silver pendants which have large enough bales.

Attached Images
nov03 030sm.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-08-03 , 02:38 AM

I think my bead is 'webbed' turquoise; there is a pattern of spidering matrix.
I found this ring at an antique shop last weekend. It is stamped '925 Mexico' inside. It has the appearance of Southwestern Native American jewelery. I'm guessing that it's about 30 years old.

Attached Images
nov03 016sm.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-08-03 , 02:47 AM

I have a great fondness for turquoise set in gold. Here is my 14K inlaid cuff bracelet. The turqouise has spidering.

Attached Images
nov03 027sm.jpg

Old pelepup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-09-03 , 10:10 PM

Oooohh! I like the inlaid bracelet. Is that lapis and onyx with it? Yes, I too like the turquoise and gold look. I'm looking for a ring with a robin's egg turquoise. There was one on ebay I was watching, but someone bought it with the "buy it now" feature. Oh well. There will be plenty more.

pelepup signature

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-11-03 , 01:19 AM

Good luck on finding the right ring! I sure wouldn't mind owning a ring like that too.
The bracelet does have lapis, and the areas which look like onyx are actually sugalite, a purple stone. The photo made the sugalite look darker than it is.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-15-03 , 03:18 AM

Today, I went to Gem Faire Gem & Mineral show. There were a few vendors there who had very nice jewelry. I bought this well-made 14K gold ring with spider turquoise. The turquoise is untreated Chinese, and the jeweler cut and polished the stone himself from rough and also designed & made the setting. He didn't skimp on gold, and the ring has a Euro shank too.

Last edited by Itbit : 11-15-03 at 03:19 AM.
Attached Images
jewelry 718sm.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-15-03 , 03:22 AM

Another view of that ring.
The color is more accurate in the first photo.

Last edited by Itbit : 11-15-03 at 03:24 AM.
Attached Images
jewelry 721sm.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-15-03 , 03:31 AM

Uh...I couldn't help myself...the same artisan had a high quality 14K gold chrysoprase ring that I could not resist.
Chrysoprase is also known as 'Australian jade'. It's not jade, rather it is apple green quartz (chalcedony). It is composed almost entirely of silicon dioxide. Its green color is due to traces of nickel. It is 7 on the Mohs scale.

Attached Images
jewelry 727sm.jpg

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

I love the blue turquoise over the green turquoise, but ..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-15-03 , 01:21 PM

Australian Green Jade is really a nice color.

Old metamictman

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: I love the blue turquoise over the green turquoise, but ..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 11-15-03 , 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PlatinumDiamond
Australian Green Jade is really a nice color.

Here's a top-end translucent "jelly" chrysoprase just waiting to decorate a fine ring or pendant. It's calibrated (8 x 10 mm.) and the dime is shown for scale. I think this elegant stone would look best in 14 or 18 K. yellow gold but mileage may vary! I have lots of other sizes and shapes, too. This is one of my very favorite materials to cut and make jewelry with.

metamictman signature
METAMICTMAN
Attached Images
prase1c.jpg

Old metamictman

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 11-15-03 , 02:30 PM

Quote:

Just for fun while we're talking about turquoise matrix, here's a lovely stone from Arizona, USA that has a metallic iron pyrite "webbing." The pyrite is more yellow that the photo shows. This kind of turquoise looks great in yellow gold. The rough is hard to find but the finished stones make beautiful and unique jewelry.

metamictman signature
METAMICTMAN
Attached Images
morencipyrite.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 11-15-03 , 03:53 PM

metamictman, those are gorgeous specimens!
This pendant that I inherited from my mother has a center stone that looks similar to your turquoise--bright blue color with pyrite

Attached Images
turquoise 026asm.jpg

Old metamictman

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 11-15-03 , 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Itbit
metamictman, those are gorgeous specimens!
This pendant that I inherited from my mother has a center stone that looks similar to your turquoise--bright blue color with pyrite

That's beautiful turquoise, Itbit, and a very unusual pendant. Do you have any idea where the stone was mined? Turquoise with pyrite isn't on the "rare" list but I'm finding it increasingly hard to locate. Maybe more will be mined now there's a mini "boom" market in turquoise .

Here's another closely-related gem I'm very fond of working with: spiderweb variscite from Nevada. It also occurs in Utah and perhaps elsewhere. It's basically turquoise without copper. No, that circle of light reflections you see on it isn't from a UFO landing! It's from a new lighting device for my camera I'm experimenting with. I have to figure out how to get rid of those pesky reflections.

metamictman signature
METAMICTMAN
Attached Images
variscite nv.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 11-16-03 , 05:17 PM

That stone is beautiful too, metamictman.
I don't know where the turquoise in my pendant was mined. I think it's a Zuni or Navaho piece. Here is a picture of it in its entirety.

Attached Images
turquoise 001asm.jpg

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 87
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 11-16-03 , 05:42 PM

Itbit, you have some stunning jewellery. My daughter's first piece of gold jewellery, which she chose for herself when she was about 13 years old, was a Victorian gypsy style ring studded with tiny round cabochons of turquoise. I was rather suprised at her choice, considering her age, but she loved it.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Last edited by Bagpuss : 11-16-03 at 05:45 PM.
Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic How do I determine an est retail value by toomuchjewelry
Up a Topic Anyone get married in Hawaii posted in Planning a Wedding by Scintillate
Older:
Down a Topic Topaz question I am curious yellow by sapphirekitty
Down a Topic 5ct Asha Asscher posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by etincellex