Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old orzo

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#51 @ 11-01-03 , 10:20 AM

Yu guys are killing me!! Every one of these is a dream ring!! And the pin is beutiful!! I just got my solitaire OEC-1/2 carat- but boy I want one of those big ones!! Better go buy a lottery ticket!!!

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 93
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#52 @ 11-01-03 , 03:22 PM

I have been outbid now.

ancienthills signature
Old Amethyste

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Amethyste is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#53 @ 11-01-03 , 03:41 PM

Ancient,
It's ok, that means you can spend more money on the Fay Cullen ring.
I would get that one if I could ( the emerald cut ine with the saphirres... ) it's so yummy. Are you still wanting the asscher ring?

Amethyste signature
-=Amethyste -
Apres la Pluie, le Soleil!
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light

Quote this post and reply to it Post#54 @ 11-01-03 , 04:02 PM

Mary I knew you would find us!

Amethyste Yes but not with a royal asscher but a square emerald cut. It is taking too long and I want something NOW too though. I really need to just sit on my hands until Christmas visit home to states. That pin is just an AMAZING deal though and that is attractive in itself to me. That deal aspect tempts me the most. I love all diamonds but a deal on one whew.

ancienthills signature
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#55 @ 11-01-03 , 04:07 PM

And yes, I would probably tell people , Can you believe this was only...

I would be as proud of the deal I made as the item!

The other ring is absolutely stunning, but it is surely no deal. (the second post I think) The Fay Cullen one is in the same genre but I won't do it. Good thing I cant try it on.

ancienthills signature
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#56 @ 11-01-03 , 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by orzo
Yu guys are killing me!! Every one of these is a dream ring!! And the pin is beutiful!! I just got my solitaire OEC-1/2 carat- but boy I want one of those big ones!! Better go buy a lottery ticket!!!

I went to a medium sized market town not too far from my home today and made a beeline for this particular jeweller who always has interesting second hand sparklies.

You could have knocked me over with a feather. There was THE most beautiful 3.25 carat solitaire estate diamond ring. It was so BIG! I had no idea a 3+ carat diamond would look that BIG! It was like a dinner plate - no kidding. There weren't any details, other than the carat weight and the price, on the little card beside it so I can't say what the specs were. I didn't dare go in and try it on becuase they'd never have gotten it off my finger. I never thought that I'd fancy a diamond that big, but I DO! I DO! I DO!

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#57 @ 11-01-03 , 11:36 PM

They have a 3 carat dimoand at my shop- not a OEC though. It is like an I2 and they want 5400.00 on the tag. They probably come down to about 4000.00. It is very white though- at least a G. But it isn't too pretty. Lots of feathers and such. But I tried it on- It is huge!! I never thought I'd want ont that big either but nice OEC- Oh yeah!!!

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

SSSHHHHHhhhhhhhhh
Quote this post and reply to it Post#58 @ 11-02-03 , 04:50 AM

For those of you who like a little body and color this looks like an amazing deal....ssshhhhh

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=45399

ancienthills signature
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#59 @ 11-02-03 , 04:54 AM

Oh yeah, feel free to bid, I like mine snow white, but this deal- yowza.

ancienthills signature
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#60 @ 11-02-03 , 08:55 AM

I rather fancied the tanzanite ring from the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=2667500472

What cut is this, would you say? Pineapple? Checkerboard?
Looks a bit like a Richard Homer cut.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Last edited by Bagpuss : 11-02-03 at 08:56 AM.
Attached Images
tanz ring.jpg

Old Amethyste

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Amethyste is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#61 @ 11-02-03 , 10:29 AM

I love both of the rings posted. Anything in an antique setting or an antique cut, I am there!

Amethyste signature
-=Amethyste -
Apres la Pluie, le Soleil!
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
susi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Queen Elizabeth's e-ring....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#62 @ 11-02-03 , 11:43 AM

Does anyone like Queen Elizabeth's E-ring?? She received it in 1947 ( Bagpuss, you would know about it ) and it appears from it's pics to be an OEC and the info says it's 3carats. It looks close to flawless and came from a tiara belonging to Prince Phillip's mother.

Before I knew anything about OECs I had studied the pics of this ring and just could not see "3 carats" weight in this stone. It was before I learned more about the cut. I'm guessing it's slightly deep for it's weight. Just looking at it on her hand and from the top I would have guessed closer to 2.5ct. I wish I had a scanner....does anyone have a pic of this ring they could post??

susi signature
Susi
Last edited by susi : 11-02-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#63 @ 11-02-03 , 03:02 PM

I 'know' about the Queen's e-ring but can't find a pic on the Internet - only a reference to it in a book about her personal jewellery. The stones came from Princess Alice's tiara, so I expect that they are OEC's.

Does anyone else have a pic they can post? Please.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#64 @ 11-04-03 , 05:46 AM

feast your eyes on an original asscher with provenance assured...

ancienthills signature
Attached Images
originalasscher.jpg

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#65 @ 11-04-03 , 05:59 AM

Another

http://www.estatediamondjewelry. c...log_details.htm

I have found tons on this site. They emailed me 10 percent off promotion - love it. Could do some serious damage here.

For some reason it wont let me save image as...must be copyright photos...

ancienthills signature
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#66 @ 11-04-03 , 07:56 AM

I particularly liked this one.

I couldn't get the pic to save as either - something to do with the type of file and compression? (so dh says) so I'm posting the link.

http://www.estatediamondjewelry. c...log_details.htm

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#67 @ 11-04-03 , 08:11 AM

Do you get the same fire from an old coushin cut as the fire from an oec? what about omc? Does anybody into the older cuts know?

A Doctor and a computer whiz and a finianceer of diamonds - what more could a gal ask for except a Sean Connery look alike

Sorry to be off topic but I just wanted to ask why is it that men get better as they get older? Grant looks better every day and for me, well I really need a tune up - make that an overhaul. Why is that ???? (other than the burger king diet)

ancienthills signature
Last edited by ancienthills : 11-04-03 at 08:17 AM.
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#68 @ 11-04-03 , 09:26 AM

ah, I know I hit the jackpot with my dh. Plus he's kind to animals and good with young children.

Re your old cuts question - this is my take on what I've gleaned from the various experts and sites I've found.

As far as I can tell you get fire with all the old cuts, mine, cushion and old european. How much brilliance you get depends on how well they were cut originally. The older stones - mine cuts - were cut more for weight retention, hence the shape, so they would be less sparkly. The relatively newer cuts, OEC's, were the forerunners of the modern rb and so are more like a modern rb , rounder and cut more for performance, so should be sparklier. Art Anderson, told me that some old cut stones, like my old English cut diamond, were cut more for performance than other old European cut diamonds and so perform even more like a modern rb. Cutting for performance rather than weight retention made the better cut old diamonds less competitive, financially, so most cutters went with the weight retention route.

Eventually modern cut stones came into being. They were cut primarily for brilliance rather than fire. This continues today with the pursuit of the ideal cut. As in the past, cutting for performance means you end up with a smaller finished diamond from the original rough than you might have otherwise done, which puts up the cost of the better cut stones.

Here's what Art Anderson posted:
Old English Cuts
Dear Bagpuss,

The terms Old English Cut and Old European Cut are often used interchangably which is unfortunate and confusing.

It has been suggested (Tillander, 1995) that the term Old English Cut be reserved for the beautiful round brilliants cut in England during the late 1700s and mid 1800s. At the time, London was a center for extremely fine diamond cutting.

The term Old European Cut should be used for the less fine, more haphazardly cut round brilliants from the other major cutting centers of the 19th century. Cutting these stones was less labor intensive and preserved more of the original weight of the rough crystal.

The English cutters were not able to compete with the less costly, readily available Old European stones. Faced with public indifference to cut quality, production of Old English Cuts dwindled toward the middle part of the 19th century.

As an aside, later in the century the tradition of the Old English Cuts inspired the work of Henry Morse and later Marcel Tolkowsky which led to the American Ideal Cut and today's modern ideal cuts.

Your ring must be very beautiful! I can not wait to see the pictures.

Best regards,

Art Anderson
Bijoux Extraordinaire, Ltd
http://www.JewelryExpert.com

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Last edited by Bagpuss : 11-04-03 at 09:31 AM.
Old KITTYKITTY

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
KITTYKITTY is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1, In=5

Quote this post and reply to it Post#69 @ 11-05-03 , 09:06 PM

You ladies got me hooked on the antique look in rings .I been hunting for a ring with oec cut stones but I ended up having to settle for an antique looking 3 stone set in plt.The center stone is an ideal cut round brilliant 1.07ct H VVS2 ,the 2 side stones are ideal cut round brilliants .50ct each H VVS1 the setting has 36 rbs totaling .60cts g-h in color.The ring has a total ct wt of 2.67cts,with a GIA Cert.The picture below doesn't do this ring justice,believe me this is a beautiful piece.It may not be the oec cut stones but,I've still got plenty of years to track down a nice oec.Thanks ladies for turning me on to the antique look in rings.KK

Last edited by KITTYKITTY : 11-05-03 at 09:18 PM.
Attached Images
ring-plt.jpg

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2535, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#70 @ 11-05-03 , 10:04 PM

I'm in a bit of a quandry over a couple of unmounted OEC diamonds which I have and am unsure what I should do with them. Almost everyone, of course, prefers these diamonds in their original settings. I acquired these diamonds just because I like them, but now I'm not sure whether to spend my time trying to find old, blank settings or to put them in new, old style settings. Any feelings from this group on how they would prefer to remount loose old diamonds ? What is your material of preference, white or yellow gold or platinum ? Thanks in advance for any advice you'd care to share.

Michael_E signature
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#71 @ 11-06-03 , 12:54 AM

OH KK! That is beautiful. Wow. So glad we inspired you! I just love that design too. Where did you find it? Gosh it is really pretty. Congratulations on your latest pet rock! I had butterflies in my tummy waiting for the pic to load I was so excited for you!

Michael I like platnium or white gold personally. Post some stats! hhee hheeee somebody might end up taking them off your hands before you have to worry about setting them! Just a thought.

ancienthills signature
Old KITTYKITTY

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
KITTYKITTY is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1, In=5

Quote this post and reply to it Post#72 @ 11-06-03 , 05:03 AM

Thanks ancienthills,I came across the ring at a fancy jewelry store called Swartzchilds.They only had the one in the picture in stock,as the rings have to be custom made for the customers ring size.The picture of the ring was taken on my pinky finger because it was a size 6 1/2 ,I needed it in an 8 1/2 so I won't receive my new ring until December 20th as this ring can't be sized up size due to the diamonds going down the shank.It will be my Christmas present from hubby this year. I actually got to pick the individual stones to use in the ring being made for me.Once mine arrives I'll try to take some better pictures of the profile etc.When I was there yesterday I got a look at a 4ct Lazare Diamond a gentleman was designing an engagement ring with as the center stone,OMG that stone was drop dead gorgeous.Now all I can do is set back and count the days,while mine is being customized for me.KK

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#73 @ 11-06-03 , 05:18 AM

Lucky Ducky It would be very hard to wait but it will be a very sparklie Christmas indeed!

I haven't been in a fancy jewelry store in years. HO HUM

You will have to tell me where the best fishin holes are for when I come home in Dec!

ancienthills signature
Old Vauxhall

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
Vauxhall is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#74 @ 11-06-03 , 06:45 AM

now all you Deco fans are in one place, what is your view on restoration?

I bought a white gold Deco ring on eBay recently. Centre stone is maybe 1/3ct round brilliant, with two smaller rbs (one on top of the other)and another single smaller rb on each side. They're all set into square steps that descend from the central diamond. (Very hard to describe. I would post a picture, but I have just given my digital camera to my mum because she liked it so much). Anyway, the diamonds are very white and have much more fire than you would expect for the age, and I am starting to wonder if I should get the setting redipped. It has that sort of greenish cast you expect for white gold of that vintage. Usually I am a purist and wouldn't get something restored unless the stone were about to fall out, but I am starting to think that such sparkly diamonds deserve a brilliant white setting.

opinions, please?

Old Vauxhall

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
Vauxhall is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#75 @ 11-06-03 , 06:49 AM

found the picture still on eBay. This is the first time I have tried to post a picture so please bear with me if I get it wrong.

Attached Images
deco stepped diamond ring.jpg

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Are these measurements too small by Grease1739
Up a Topic Making REAL Sapphire Doublets posted in GEMSTONES by swobodainc
Older:
Down a Topic Took the plunge by four
Down a Topic Chamayne diamonds posted in Greet New Members by sedwards