Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ElCid

Clarity enhanced diamonds?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-23-99 , 01:54 PM

I was offered a clarity enhanced diamond. The seller said it was a natural diamond only that it was treated differently. What is a "clarity enhanced" diamond? Is is a real diamond or a fake? If it is a fake,can I detect the difference between a clarity enhanced diamond and a real one? Can an appraiser detect the difference?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7723, In=1682
Referrals: 18

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-23-99 , 09:37 PM

A Clarity Enhanced Diamond is indeed natural, however it has been altered to improve the clarity. For example, if there was a break in the Diamond which broke the surface of the diamond, it is possible to "fill" that "break" with a glassy substance which improves the look of the diamond.

Old soso545

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-24-99 , 02:09 AM

Isn't it also true that a "clarity enhanced" diamond may not be as structurely sound in the event of a sharp blow, or sonic cleaning due to it being drilled and filled in?

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-24-99 , 03:32 PM

There is a difference between what is usually called "clarity enhancement" and Laser-Drilling. Clarity Enhancement generally refers to "filling" the diamond with a foreign substance to improve the clarity. On the other hand, having a Diamond laser-drilled may improve the look of the stone to the naked eye without necessarily improving the Clarity grade.

Old wes

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
wes is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-13-99 , 04:06 AM

Clarity enhancement is a fairly new process, developed first by an Israeli named Zevi Yehuda, whose company now does it professionally. The process essentially dips a diamond in liquid glass, often increasing its clarity grading by a full level. The process is stable--the durability of the diamond is not significantly affected, and many companies will warranty the filling for life. Find out what company is backing up the process. The big drawback is that GIA and AGS won't certify a filled diamond, though EGS will. Buying a filled diamond with a good guarantee is ok, but buying an uncertified diamond is very dangerous.

Old StevL

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 100
StevL is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1102, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-18-99 , 09:09 AM

A couple of draw backs. Laser drilling also leaves very small holes at the entry points of the laser drilling and leaves a tubular cavity. These holes could be filled using the clarity enhancement method. But then a clarity enhanced diamond shows a rainbow effect in the filled portion, and Must Be Handled Carfully when repair work is being done on the mounting and heat is being used.

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-11-99 , 04:08 PM

The url for the Yehuda company is http://www.yehuda.com/

Old Jonathan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Jonathan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-30-99 , 09:20 PM

Hello,

If a clarity enhanced diamond can't be heated, how can a it be put into a mounting or setting? Is this a higher cost when having a diamond mounted onto a ring?

Old StevL

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 100
StevL is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1102, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-30-99 , 09:42 PM

When your setting a diamond heat is not applied. First you change the head (prong work) to the size needed for the diamond, then you size the ring. At this point all work involving heat is done. You then bur the head, and set the diamond. But, later down the road, you may have the prongs rebuilt or the ring sized again, and if the jeweler doesn't know the diamond is clarity enhanced, you could have a problem. I still do bench work about 15 hours a week, and I can tell you that at busy times (like now) I hardly look at the diamond in it's mounting. My staff notes any chips, breaks, enhancements on the work order, but it could slip through. To date I have never had one go with out notice, but it can happen. Just like I broke one diamond while setting it, not very common, but I dropped it onto the work bench, and after bouncing off something metal I had two halves of a 1.20 carat diamond. So any thing can happen.

Old Jonathan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 12-07-99 , 02:13 PM

I'm about to purchase an EGL certified, clarity enhanced diamond that is guaranted for life. They told me that it has not been laser drilled but clarity enhanced. I asked if there were any visible inperfections and they said no. Any thing to worry about? It is a 1.56 Princess, D in color, SI1 clarity. Price is $4430.00. Any questions that I should ask before purchasing and is clarity enhanced diamond take longer to set?

Old Jonathan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 12-10-99 , 12:42 PM

I chose not to buy one and have purchased 1.30 Princess cut VS1 H-color diamond that is beautiful for $4990.00. the table is 77%, depth 73.8% no culet,no Flo. Good sym. Good Polish.
I have just one question, I have found a jeweler who I have put money down to hold a ring set which is in white gold. I am upgrading it to platinum but I think they are know trying to nickle and dime me. She asked me if I wanted platinum prongs? should this not be extra and be included when the ring is casted? I'm paying $1000.00 more to have the upgrade to platinum already. Please advise!! Thanks for the advise on the clarity enhancement.

Old little-dreamer

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
little-dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-03-00 , 12:47 AM

I just looked at a diamond on eBay. The seller states that it will come with a GIA appraisal. I thought that GIA would nto appraise clarity enhanced diamonds.

How hard is it for someone to see a clarity enhancement? Could I tell it if I saw one? What would I be looking for? How hard is it for a jeweler to notice?

------------------

Old concerned

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
concerned is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-09-00 , 10:27 PM

OK, I just bought a Clarity Enhanced diamond at a new york broker. They told me it was no big deal, and that the diamond was just as good. After more research, I've decided that I got rooked. The diamond is 2.5 carats but I traded a real diamond in on it. I'm wondering how I will be able to get out of this mess since you say no jeweler will buy it from me.

------------------

Old Ron

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Ron is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=263, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-16-00 , 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned
OK, I just bought a Clarity Enhanced diamond at a new york broker. They told me it was no big deal, and that the diamond was just as good. After more research, I've decided that I got rooked. The diamond is 2.5 carats but I traded a real diamond in on it. I'm wondering how I will be able to get out of this mess since you say no jeweler will buy it from me.

------------------

I have been in the business for 22 years. I was skeptical about clartiy enhanced diamonds. When approached on selling them I refused at first. The fear of the unkown. After a couple of years of investigating and a little experimenting I have become comfortable with clarity enhanced diamonds recognizing that they are enhanced and fill a need for those who want a larger stone for less money. Just like not all diamonds are alike, neither are treated stones. Some are not very good. Some are really good! However I haven't personally seen one change dramatically from a I1 or I2 to a VS stone after treatment. My experience has been an improvement of two grades. If the treatment is disclosed and the price equal to a stone two grades lower then the purchase might be a good one. Again, each stone has to be considered on it's own merits. I recently gave my wife a treated diamond. I think the stone is great! Of course I hand picked it, the treatment was very minimal. Enjoy your diamond and don't let experts on one side of the arguement panic you. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Old EOS3

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
EOS3 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 12-28-00 , 11:57 PM

I thank everyone who has contributed information here thus far. But I still have a question that hasn't been answered. Are clarity enhanced/Yehuda stones fractured stones only? From what I've learned, I get the impression that these clarity enhanced stones are treated on the external surfaces of the stone rather being "drilled 'n' filled" in the traditional manner. In other words, a stone that has a black carbon-like inclusion under the table would not be eligible for this clarity enhancement or Yehuda style process because it isn't a fractured stone. Is this correct?

Old dimonbob

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dimonbob is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=396, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 12-30-00 , 11:16 PM

RON
Clarity enhanced diamonds fall into the same catagory as the fried monkey spit that many mall stores advertise as diamonds a very good prices. Try to resell one and you will find out exactly how much they are worth. As far as that enhanced diamond you gave your wife... I wouldn't bet that I could tell if it was enhanced. It is a no brainer for someone with a little education. I have been in the business far longer than you and I wouldn't buy or sell an enhanced diamond. Someone else can have that business. Drilled and filled diamonds may be money makers but I am not that hard up for business!
dimonbob

Old joongpark

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
joongpark is on a distinguished road

Please please let me know if I am doing the right thing
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 02-25-03 , 02:29 AM

Hello.

Thanks for the wonderful board.

I recently bid on a diamond without knowing what "clarity enhanced" means

I thought I was buying certified diamond.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2612119581&rd=1

Anyway...can some one look at this and let me know if I am paying too much for clarity enhanced diamond?

My seller is willing to let me buy not treated diamond if I want. My budget is very low so I want to know if this is good deal and if I should buy this one.

My dealer also offered me to pay $300 to have this diamond certified at EGL Israel.

Also they say they guarantee everything we sell within 1 color and 1 clarity grade.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Old ThomasH.

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
ThomasH. is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=3592, In=308
Referrals: 4

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 02-25-03 , 05:56 AM

Laser drilled diamonds usually get the same clarity grade as before treatment.. you get rid of the black looking inclusion which upgrades clarity but create the laser drill holes which downgrades clarity again... so in by far most cases no better clarity grade will be given when such a diamond is graded...
At this point the main threat comes from HPHT diamonds and synthetic diamonds, whereas the synthetics are still too expensive to be a real problem...

Thomas H.

Old 210diamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
210diamond is an unknown quantity at this point
Hits: Out=797, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 02-25-03 , 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I'm paying $1000.00 more to have the upgrade to platinum already. Please advise!! Thanks.

Nickle and dime....sounds like $10.00's and $20.00's!
If you have a 14K ring with a weight of 8 grams and use the same mold ( assume it is a stock mold) and cast it in platinum the weight may be closer to 12 grams. The platinum could cost no more than $200.00 more than the metal used in the gold ring. $1000.00 more unless hand made seems a bit much.

Old jal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
jal is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 02-27-03 , 03:53 PM

i would like to put my 2 cents in and say that i would not invest in a treated diamond for my self and tell my clients to wait and save for the clarity and color they want rather then get an enhanced stone...put the money toward a solid investment that has value weather it be in beauty,re-sale or trade up value..enhaced stones are not solid in these areas and non enhanced diamonds are...im glad some one put up a thread about this area...jal

Old ellapooch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ellapooch is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 06-19-03 , 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElCid
I was offered a clarity enhanced diamond. The seller said it was a natural diamond only that it was treated differently. What is a "clarity enhamced" diamond? Is is a real diamond or a fake? If it is a fake,can I detect the difference between a clarity enhanced diamond and a real one? Can an appraiser detect the difference?

It is VERY real...they said they can even enhance my diamond if it is a candidate. They guarantee it as well..the return policy and all..I think a well trained jeweler or gemologist will detect it.

Old mrose106

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
mrose106 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 07-11-03 , 11:56 AM

thank you for the info that is on this page. It has made us rethink and have decided to not to but a clarity enhanced diamond.

Old samshanna1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
samshanna1 is on a distinguished road

Re: Clarity enhanced diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-06-06 , 11:22 PM

Folks, I have been in the industry for many years and what I would tell you is this. If you try to sell ANY diamond (enhanced or non-enhanced) on the secondary market you are going to have a difficult time.

I sell a TON of CE diamonds to many people including a MAJOR professional football team, Celebrities (I wish I could say who), Executives and people that have just realised that CE diamonds are a great deal.

I will also tell you that most jewellers HATE CE diamonds because they give the public an alternative to paying retail.

Don't get me wrong, if you really want to pay more I certainly sell those as well but let's face it. It is a rock that looks like a piece of glass that sparkles a little bit and we all seem to be fascinated by them. (Why, I will never know).

Old Havana

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Havana is on a distinguished road

Re: Clarity enhanced diamonds?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 11-11-06 , 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samshanna1
I will also tell you that most jewellers HATE CE diamonds because they give the public an alternative to paying retail.

I believe that statement is misleading and inaccurate. Natural vs. CE has nothing to do with whether or not someone pays retail or wholesale or anything in between, the difference is that you are simply paying less money for a less valuable diamond because it has been altered and doctored up.

Old cdgdiamonds

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
cdgdiamonds is on a distinguished road

Re: Clarity enhanced diamonds?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 11-13-06 , 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little-dreamer
I just looked at a diamond on eBay. The seller states that it will come with a GIA appraisal. I thought that GIA would nto appraise clarity enhanced diamonds.

How hard is it for someone to see a clarity enhancement? Could I tell it if I saw one? What would I be looking for? How hard is it for a jeweler to notice?

------------------

GIA grades clarity enhanced diamonds if it is a premanent treatment such as laser drilling or HTPT. In the case of laser drilling with a loupe or microscope you should be able to see a tubular hole in the stone, if HTPT that you can not see unless you have special equipment (most locations do not have this except for Labs such as GIA). HTPT treatment is rare though as the diamonds that can go through this process are few and far between and it is also an expensive treatment.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Diamond Ring Setting White Gold Versus Platinum by luciddreamer
Up a Topic What gem would look good with this e ring mount posted in GEMSTONES by theexxception
Older:
Down a Topic White Gold Band with Platinum Prongs by luciddreamer
Down a Topic White Gold Band with Platinum Prongs posted in DIAMONDS by luciddreamer