Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old thephoenix

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
thephoenix is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-19-03 , 10:37 PM

Currently in our wedding plans we have 1 maid of honor, 4 bridemaids.

Then we have 1 best man, 3 groomsmen.

Now, my fiancee and I were talking to a very good frined of mine who I have known since day one of high school.

My fiancee loves my friend as do I. SO we may want her in the wedding on my side as a grooms "person" I suppose.

COmments??? Hs this been done before?

Im jsut a guy, what dio I know??

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old memphisluvr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
memphisluvr is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-19-03 , 11:48 PM

If she's important to you, absolutely do it. Why not? Not only does it sound appropriate for your relationship with her, but it'll make your ceremony hard to forget.

Old Musthave

My Profile
Sapphire : offline
Years:

My Karma
Musthave is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-20-03 , 12:34 AM

I agree with Memphisluvr. And yes it has been done before

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 479
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=244, In=1

thephoenix
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-20-03 , 02:04 AM

Excuse my ignorance here but by being a groomsman does this mean this woman will have to dress as the other groomsman or as a bridesmaid?

Irish

Old dberg

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dberg is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-20-03 , 08:56 AM

I had a "bridesmaid" who was actually my best male friend from college. He wore a tux like the groomsmen, but stood on my side. He was very honored to have been asked, and I was honored that he accepted. I say go for it. I'll try to take a picture later and post it.

Old thephoenix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

hey, its me the fiancee again
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-20-03 , 09:40 AM

Hey Irish,

you're not ignorant! I AM! So We'd like her to be on my side (groomsmen side) but I no idea what she;ll wear yet. The two options are:

A-black/white dress with colors/corsage matching/complementing bridesmaids;

B-same dress as brides maids. persoanlly i think i like option A better as its less confusing.

dberg, looking forward to your posts

Old liviawillow

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
liviawillow is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Go for it!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-20-03 , 11:06 AM

I am scheduled to appear on the grooms' side of a June '04 wedding. I am female. I am to wear whatever I want so long as it doesn't clash with anyone else.

I like your idea of wearing a black/white dress though and maybe I'll suggest that instead!! Good idea!

liviawillow signature
~l

One day I hope to become the person that my dog thinks I already am.
Old biochemgoddess

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
biochemgoddess is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-21-03 , 04:47 PM

Hi both of you...

I wonder if this person would mind. Maybe she wants to hang out with the girls? Maybe that's more her personality and lots of women love being bridesmaids. It might be a good opportunity for the girls to get to know each other. Obviously, it doesn't matter which side she stands on.

Are you asking her to be a groomsman just to balance the wedding party?

Are you asking her because you want her to have the duties and responsibilities as a groomsman to be by your side?

I say, if you want her to stand with both of you, give her the choice! We had five groomsmen and two bridesmaids and it worked out perfectly.

If you (fiancee) are already picking out what she will wear to coordinate, it sounds like she is more of a BM anyway. Won't this make her stick out? Why not let her wear what the BMs wear (mine chose their own had different dresses in the same color) and stand wherever?

Last edited by biochemgoddess : 08-21-03 at 04:51 PM.
Old dberg

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dberg is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-21-03 , 10:01 PM

When I read the post by pheonix, I understood that the woman he wants to be in the wedding party was a dear friend of his, whom is fiancee happened to also care for. I didn't read the post as a need to balance out the number of people on either side, but I could be wrong. I would like to think your "groomsmaid" would be honored to stand by your side as your friend when you make this committment to your SO. I would suggest that she wear the same dress as the bridemaids as I like consistancy within the wedding party. I think very few people would be confused by this or think that the wedding coordinator didn't know where she was supposed to go. I believe most people would understand she is standing on the grooms side for the groom.

Old thephoenix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-22-03 , 09:59 PM

hello

-Just to clarify, she IS a very close friend of mine and a good friend of my fiance now.

-Having her on my side WOULD balance out the bride's and grooms sides but thats not the MAIN reason why we want her as a groomsmaid.

-We will probably end up giving her the option of chossing what she wants to wear. Personally, I think having her in a B/W dress with matching corsages to the bridesmaids is cool, but I'll let the ladies decide that.

-BTW, the subject first came up one night when the few of us were chattin, kind of like an "what if" and the truth is, she loved the idea.

sorry to be so confusing.

BTW, I had first heard of this site last September. If I recall correctly, I did NOT need to put in my credit card info just to ask questions about stones. Why the change? And there's no webmaster to ask.

Old doxiemom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
doxiemom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-23-03 , 08:36 AM

Here's my story....My sister was a "groomsperson" for our cousin. She stood on his side during the ceremony and for pictures, and wore a black dress. (They are very close as they are only two months apart)Everything turned out beautifully and I think an important part of any wedding is sharing that special day with those you love. I say go for it!

doxiemom signature
Weiner dogs are wonderful!

"Wants may be easily satisfied either by producing much or desiring little." -Cronin
Old Blackbird

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Blackbird is on a distinguished road

Just What I was looking for!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-31-03 , 10:08 AM

How ironic that I have the same issue. One of my best friends happens to be a female and although she and my SO just met, I wasn't sure of how to ask her to be one of her bridemaid's without her loosing one of the ones she'd already picked. But having her on my side would really be neat and different and like someone else posted, something that would not be easily forgotten! I' sure she'd be honored to be a part of the "Groom-dawgs!" if only for one night! Now, the color she'll wear is a totally different can of worms and I think the SO can handle that one! Thanks for everyone's advise!

"It's my wedding and I'll cry if I want too!!"

Old Annelise

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Annelise is on a distinguished road

Hey! I did that
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 10-28-03 , 06:01 PM

In our party, I had three maids and one "man", my friend of many years Dennis. On his side he had a best man, two groomsmen and his sister.

all the men, wore formal suits, my honey wore a black tie, his groomsmen wore white ties, my bestfriend wore a tie that matched my bridesmaids (silver) but wore the same suit as the rest. His sister wore the same dress as my maids, but hers was black while my maids wore pale silver dresses. this way everyone looked balanced, but it was clear who was on whos side.

it looked great. perhaps your female friend could wear the same dress as the bridesmaids but in black?

Last edited by Annelise : 10-28-03 at 06:02 PM.
Old TL04

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
TL04 is on a distinguished road

Love the idea
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 01-19-04 , 05:59 AM

I think including your friend is a wonderful idea. I think you should be able to do whatever you want. If it makes all of you happy GO for it.

Old kentville

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 91
kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-19-04 , 07:50 AM

Many years ago, my sister was on the grooms side. She wore a ladies tux, It worked out well. I have a good friend at work who when he gets married wants me to be on his side for the wedding. I have no problems with that. I plan on doing the stuff with the girls and just stand on his side for the wedding. I feel honored to have been asked.

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Bella is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-19-04 , 10:58 AM

I think having any gender on either side is fine. Heck, a women on the groom's side who is a great friend is a lot better than a 'stand-in' guy just to match numbers. I thought the black & white dress idea was nice.

I doubt she would feel uncomfortable, and rather hang out with the girls. It's a wedding party, not a weekend retreat in the woods - ha ha.

Old chelseabun2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
chelseabun2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 01-27-04 , 04:34 PM

I love the idea!! Good luck!

Read Messages in: Wedding Issues All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic auspicious wedding dates in 2004 by hbunny
Up a Topic What is the Time Peroid Apprsidsls posted in Appraisal & Insurance by jonathantoo
Older:
Down a Topic Guilty Please Help by chelseabun2
Down a Topic Doubts partly because of Religion posted in Religion & Marriage by Epiphany