Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Cal

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My Mark Morrell ring!

My Karma
Power: 58
Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-13-03 , 12:32 AM

Has anyone ever seen rings or other jewelry made from stones formed out of volcanic ash following the Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980?

The stones are a nice deep green color. I'm curious to hear opinions if you've seen/own these stones.

Thanks, CAL

Cal signature
* Hoomanaoio ~ Manaolana ~ Paulele*
* Believe ~ Hope ~ Trust *
Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old puttin510

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 45
puttin510 is on a distinguished road

Mt st. helen stones.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-13-03 , 03:10 AM

I am a new person here and not as knowledgable in so many things that the others know. I had bought some earrings that were supposed to be made of that substance. They have like a teal color and (by accident) I usually am not looking in a mirror outside but I put them in sunlight and saw that it was more green than teal. I will have to take a look again. I have not worn them in a while. I will let you know tommorrow.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 147
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-13-03 , 03:12 AM

I've seen loads of it--especially in the shops of Seattle Center (the park complex where the Space Needle is situated.)
I think the green gem is beautiful, although I don't know much about it or its properties.
I have noticed that the settings of this jewelry tend to be inexpensive and not of the fine variety: sterling and gold-plated sterling seem to be the norm.

Old Cal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough

I found some more information...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-13-03 , 09:04 AM

...although it conflicts a bit.

EMERALD OBSIDIANITE
Mount Saint Helens Obsidianite was born from a disaster. The eruption of Mount Saint Helens in 1980 caused a mud flow that trapped and destroyed the expensive equipment of a local logging company. Using acetylene torches to salvage this equipment, workers quickly noticed that the gray ash of the volcano was melting and turning green. Using that information, it was only a matter of time before the first Emerald Obsidianite stones were created. This disaster and chance discovery has left the world with this remarkable legacy of beauty.

The hardness of Emerald Obsidianite is between 5 1/2 and 6 on the MOHS scale of 10 and wears much like an amethyst or citrine. It is perfectly safe to clean these lovely stones in an ultrasonic cleaner or other jewelry cleaning solutions.

HELENITE (Mt. St. Helens Stone)
A vivid green glass popularly mistaken to have been produced by the eruption of Mount St. Helens in Washington state (USA). According to the May 1999 issue of Jeweler's Circular-Keystone (page 36), this is actually a manmade glass that contains "rock dust" (not ash) from Mount St. Helens. It is distributed by Emerald Fox in Seattle and Leavenworth, Washington. It is also sometimes misleadingly called "emerald obsidianite." The material enjoyed some popularity for a few years following the explosive eruption in 1980 but now seems relegated to gift shops in the area.

Hmmm....

Cal signature
Old winyan

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
winyan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Well, it could be both...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-13-03 , 09:50 AM

naturally occurring, and then some enterprising knowledgeable person decided to go ahead and recreate it in a lab.

I like it, I've seen it set in rings.

win

Old Cyberkat

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
Cyberkat is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-13-03 , 10:56 AM

I have one. It is very pretty. I think it looks like an expensive man made emerald like a Chatham or something like that. I haven't had it set yet but I'm very pleased with it. It was quite inexpensive too, by the way. Something like $12.00 I got it from a vendor on Ebay a few months ago.

Cyberkat signature
Cyberkat
Old Cal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-13-03 , 11:51 AM

I was thinking of buying a loose piece and having it set in a nice gold ring. Someone mentioned that the settings they've seen for pre-made jewelry are pretty cheap, and that's what I noticed while browsing online.

Thanks for the feedback.

~CAL

Cal signature
Old puttin510

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

I'm back
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-13-03 , 12:44 PM

Well I took a gander at my earrings and to me they look more like london blue topaz but a tad more teal, but if you put them in sunlight at certain angels they turn sort of evergreen. When I bought them I really did not know alot about gems. I thought they would look great with my london blue rings and pendants. I had thought about putting them in a ring and pendant. I really am not crazy about the setting. They are 8mm trillion shape. But I liked the stone. I would like to see others pictures to see if the color is the same. Dare I say that the place I first started seeing different gemstones was on the home shopping club. It really opened the door to some beautiful things.

Edited to say: This is a site I found and this is pretty much the color of my earrings. http://gemcutter.com/gems/mm/mm/206.jpg
lets see if this link works

Last edited by puttin510 : 07-13-03 at 01:02 PM.
Old puttin510

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

nope
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-13-03 , 01:03 PM

I guess if you go to their site you can look it up under man made gems.

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-13-03 , 07:30 PM

Yes, I have some ear rings set with this stone. Mine are very close to an emerald colour and very pretty. I got mine from QVC UK.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-14-03 , 07:12 AM

You have to check the colour though, as I've also got a silver ring set with this stone and it's a completely different shade - more of a teal colour.

Here's a pic of the ear rings - sorry it's blurry, but you can make out the colour. In reality, the stones are bright and totally eyeclean. Most poeple I know think that they're top class emeralds

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Attached Images
emeralderings small.jpg

Old puttin510

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-14-03 , 09:00 PM

My earrings are tealish too. At the time I had never heard of them and thought they were pretty. But yours sure do look like they came from top emerald rough.

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-15-03 , 06:48 AM

I guess the stone must come in various shades. I was lucky with the ear rings, as I wanted them to go with some natural emerald jewellery that I had. The only trouble is, that they are so clear that they put my real emeralds to shame

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old puttin510

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-15-03 , 02:01 PM

Have you seen the chrome diopside or chrome tourmalime. That is very nice to. I have some earrings is the chrome tourmaline and a shades of chrome diopside ring that goes light to darker. My sister absolutley loves emeralds. Its her birthstone, actually I have three sisters that have that birthmonth.

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice
Hits: Out=133, In=0

You ladies need some emeralds!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 07-15-03 , 05:08 PM

Nothing like a real Colombian emerald!

photos.yahoo.com/portal2012

Click "My Photos"

Old puttin510

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Nothing wrong with variety
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 07-15-03 , 09:42 PM

Portal: don't you like a variety. I really can't even say what my favorite stone is. There are just so many beautiful stones out there.

Old hellokitties

My Profile
User Awaiting Email Confirmation : offline
Years:

My Classifieds
Gemstones: 1

My Karma
Power: 0
hellokitties is on a distinguished road

Bagpuss I have admired your gems from afar....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 07-21-03 , 03:43 PM

Love the helenite you have..it was the inspiration for me to look on ebay and purchase something for myself:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...gory=15187&rd=1

The color is o pretty...your enthusiasm about it made me want to look and explore about this unknown gem (to me!) and see what it is all about. Your earrings look lovely! Such a gorgeous green shade, am sure they twinkle in your ears nicely.

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 07-21-03 , 04:17 PM

Just saw your ring - what a whopper! It's so pretty and exactly the same shade of green as my earrings. Enjoy and welcome to DT!

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Natural Or Synthetic Ruby by Valentin
Up a Topic need advice posted in DIAMONDS by snowflake
Older:
Down a Topic Gem Education by Ilzho
Down a Topic Nervous about Ebay earring purchase posted in Auctions by marriahlyn