Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
luluhb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-09-03 , 05:05 PM

a very deep 1.77 princess (79 depth) H to a clarity enhanced 2.25 princess F with say, a 69, depth....all other factors equal? Just curious.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-09-03 , 05:40 PM

No. I haven't liked the sound of what can go wrong with clarity enhanced stones from what I've read here.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old bigredwig

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
bigredwig is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-11-03 , 08:52 AM

Are you concerned that the face-up size is small for the weight?
I do not think that I would trade for a larger clarity enhanced because of that. If I were extremely displeased with the current stone, I would just take my time looking until I found a replacement that I liked...but if you really love the look of the clarity enhanced stone and think that it will bring you happiness, go for it.

I would just have concerns about the stability of the treatment and it's resale value (unless that one is a keeper).

Funny sidebar -
There is a jeweler nearby that sells clarity enhanced diamonds (usually 1.5 carats or more), and one of their advertisements says something like "She's perfect - shouldn't her diamond be?" and mentions the brand of their enhanced stones.

All I can think of when they say enhanced - is breast implants, botox, and collagen injections. Like the slogan should read - "She's enhanced - shouldn't her diamond be, too?"

It just makes me chuckle.

Old msmithmomx2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
msmithmomx2 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=59, In=4

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-11-03 , 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigredwig

"She's enhanced - shouldn't her diamond be, too?"

It just makes me chuckle.

msmithmomx2 signature
Melissa

"There are two ways of spreading light -- to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton

"Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
and
sit softly on your shoulder."

-- Henry David Thoreau

"Itís hard to beat a person that never gives up."

-- Babe Ruth
Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Which radiant do u like better???
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-11-03 , 03:58 PM

Hi all...going on the #s alone...(I don't have crown info yet...)...pick one!....all GIA radiants...my eyes are going to be the judge...but in any event...

1.53 G VS1, 66.9 depth, 64 table, Medium girdle, $8873.00, 6.37X6.72X4.26 (square radiant) ...

1.51 G SI1, 64.9 depth, 62 table, thin to slightly thick girdle, 7.63X6.19X4.02
$7,381.00...

Also, I am obsessed with mms....is such a small difference visible?

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Saying HI to dirth cheap!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-11-03 , 05:02 PM

"big ups" to Dirt Cheap!!!! LOL...Thanks for all your help and your amazing service guys!!! Thanks so much for putting up with me...IMAGINE how my poor husband feels!!!

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

What's more imp? Color or scintillation...Shallow Crowns...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-14-03 , 09:34 PM

Hi all. Can you help me here. I am looking at a radiant that in all other respects looks good but has a poor crown angle (8.9)...(I haven't seen it yet)...does that explain why on the Sarin..it has through the roof white light and scintillation but really poor colored light??? What is more important? (don't say we should strike a balance!!!! I'll hurt you... ) If you HAD to choose...which would be more important? Could you have a real dud with high color light return? Could you have a real keeper with low colored light return???? Grooowwwwiiinggggtttiirre edd!

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-14-03 , 11:43 PM

?

Old Captfun

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
Captfun is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-15-03 , 09:05 PM

Sorry it's taken this long for you to get a response. Usually this is the kind of question that gets several answers almost immediately.

Having no idea of your level of diamond expertise, I'll answer with some basics, first with some terms and what they mean. If you know this stuff, just skip ahead a bit.

Dispersion is what causes the flashes of spectral color, or the little rainbows, that come from a stone. As light travels through a diamond, one end of the spectrum moves faster than the other, causing white light to seperate. This is the diamond as a prism.

Brilliance is the brightness of a stone caused by the reflection of white light from inside and outside surfaces. This is the diamond as a mirror.

Scintillation is defined as the flashes of light and dark seen in the stone when you, the stone, or the light source are moved. This is really what makes a diamond look lively when you rock it back and forth.

Obviously, variations in cut and proportion are responsible for higher and lower numbers in a given catagory. In the case of your radiant, with the really low crown angle and extremely high brilliance, my guess is the stone has a huge table, probably over 80%, but a fairly well cut pavilion. The pavilion is the part of the stone below the girdle and is most largely responsible for overall light return. The amount of dispersion, or fire, is most related to the crown, the part of the stone above the girdle. As a very general rule, the smaller the table, the higher the colored light return. A smaller table causes light to bounce around more inside the stone. The further the light travels, and the more facet junctions it hits, the greater the amount of seperated color leaves the stone. Too small a table will have a negative effect on brilliance, however, as this increases the chances light will leak from the pavilion, girdle, etc.

Here's the dreaded "balance" you don't want to hear about. What you appear to have is a stone with a very large table that's going to give you wonderful brilliance, but show little dispersion. If that's what you want, then great. You should be able to pick up such a stone at a fair discount. As far as which is more important, brilliance or fire, that's up to you. Get out and look at some stones and find the "balance" you like best.

My recommendation would be to pass on this one and find something with a better crown angle and a table more in the 60-65% range. This will give a very bright stone, but still provide plenty of color.

Best of luck and please let me know if I can be of further help.

stephen mickam, G.G.

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-15-03 , 10:15 PM

Hey captain thanks for the response!!! But the funny thing is...it had a depth of 64.9 and a table of 64!!!! Ideal!!! But I paid a visit to GOG today and Jonathan explained that with the more 'shallow' stones, that may happen!!! ( I think that's what he said! I was just standing there drooling....That stone was from DBOF but unfortunately, I passed on it. I say unfortunately b/c Jan was so wonderful to me. So patient!!!! I actually went with another from GOG. Jonathan was amazing too!!! My hubby wanted to use a local store..(we are in NY) The depth is a 61.9 and the table was 64.2 (if I remember correctly) The stone IS AMAZING on the eyes!!! I am so exited. I believe my radiant will be the radiant poster child for radiant shapes on GOG!!! Want my autograph? LOL . The crown heigght was over 30 so I am a happy numbers camper. But I think the best bit of advice came rom myhubby who asked...."F" the numbers...do you think it's pretty???" LOL... And OMG, I can't say enough about Johnathan- besides being SOOOOO personable, he was very patient and honest...Just love him!!! I almost jumped over the counter to hug him when leaving the store!!!

Old Captfun

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
Captfun is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-15-03 , 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luluhb
...."F" the numbers...do you think it's pretty???"

This, is above all else, the best advice anyone could ever give. And as I've said here before, despite a lot of people's jumping up and down about 'ideal cuts,' numbers can never tell the whole story. Go out . . . look at some stones . . . find what YOU like. Which is just what you did.

Cheers.

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Give me some GOOD gold setting manu names!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-20-03 , 10:17 AM

Thanks!

Old DiamondDazed

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
DiamondDazed is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-20-03 , 02:00 PM

Here's a site that I've looked at many times, they have a great line-up of ring designers under the "Check out a Hot Designer" link.

http://www.r8w.com/

Not sure what exactly you're looking for, if you gave more details about what you're interested in -- solitaire, pave, side diamonds, modern, antique, etc., maybe more people would respond.

Kris

DiamondDazed signature
'I ask not for a larger garden, but for
finer seeds.'
- Russell Herman Conwell
Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 106
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-20-03 , 07:04 PM

luluhb

I didn't realize you got the radiant at last.

Specs, please.
I need details.

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-20-03 , 09:57 PM

LOL!!!! I got it at GOG (love that lifetime upgrade...already thinking! lol)...Haven't picked it up yet and I don't have the cert with me, but it is a GIA 1.5 G eye clean si1...Its got faint flourescence (which I love, b/c I think it helps make it look whiter!)... I believe the depth is 61.9 and table maybe 64.9...so the sucker looks nice and big. Its 7.64? X 6.6?... Crown 32...girdle is very thin (I can live with that) to medium...I am USELESS...I will have to check the cert! The sucker could NOT have scored better on the brilliance scope...the J man said he's gonna use a pic of it on the site!!! Yippee!!! I'm excited. I just can't decide on the setting and band. I have my big juicy princess wedding band but will probably wear it on the other hand ....and do a pave band!!!!

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
andreayung23 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-21-03 , 12:35 AM

aah..good choice! Though you cant go wrong with any of his stuff.

andreayung23 signature
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart -Confucious
Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Scott Kay Double Heart Toggle?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-22-03 , 12:16 AM

Anyone out there know the price of the Scott Kay silver collection double heart (puff) diamond toggle necklace. Whew. Say that one 10 time.

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 94
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-22-03 , 01:09 AM

Not I.

ancienthills signature
Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

What size trapezoids for radiant center stone?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-24-03 , 03:40 PM

What size trapezoids would you do for a 7.64 mm (length) center radiant stone. I saw 5.8 mm trapezoids at americanfancies.com. What do you guys think of that size? Too big/small?

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 11-25-03 , 01:40 PM

A little birdie told me that that radiant is 7.63!!!!! X 6.19!!!!! Maybe exactly what the dr ordered???

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Help me with side stones!!! ppuuulleeezzz!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 12-04-03 , 11:14 AM

OK. If I have a radiant that measures 7.64 in length...what should the length mm of my side stones be. I want to use trapezoids and have them as big as possible to make a three stone but do have a budget. Thanks!

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
susi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 12-04-03 , 11:40 AM

luluhb, do you have stones you can play with to get an idea of the look you want?? Can your jeweler get in some in different weights/sizes so you can get an idea?? I was trying to do the same thing about a year ago with my oval diamond. But the trillions my jeweler offered were much too small. There was my oval in the middle and then the small trillions on the sides and the ring looked lopsided. I feel you need BIG ones....to make an icey look across the finger...if I'm reading you correctly? Look at trapezoids as long as or slightly less length as your radiant and work from there. Pay attention to color match...It's more important that BOTH trapezoids match each other than it is for them to match your center stone. Of course they should all be close...but this could give you some "play" as to cost...

Sounds like a fun project

susi signature
Susi
Last edited by susi : 12-04-03 at 11:43 AM.
Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Bella is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 12-04-03 , 01:50 PM

Just a thought: Try playing with cz traps first. Of all the cuts of cz's they happen to be the most realistic in my opinion. However, they are hardly ever desired as a center stone, but if you're thinking side stones, maybe that's one way to save heavily on budget??

Wink has some wonderful colors too - from E to fancy color diamonds to match or compliment your center diamond.

Trillion cuts on hand for white cz's

(mm) Price
3.00 $4.26
4.00 $5.10
5.00 $5.70
5.50 $6.54
6.00 $7.38
7.00 $9.60

Attached Images
1.jpg

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Bella is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 12-04-03 , 01:53 PM

But to answer your question here is a fine example of what you are doing. Proportion looks good to me & again, use of cz sides.

Attached Images
2.jpg

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 12-04-03 , 03:18 PM

Those look great. I'm not real crazy about the trillions, though. I love the traps. Does Wink have cz traps too? Also, my stone is a G (faint flourescence...maybe a little white face up...but no "E")....That one is a good ex....a 9 mm length mm with 5.5 trillions. So if a center stone is 7.64...should I go no bigger than 6 mm with a side stone to save room for prongs...or should it go smaller?

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic radiant cut blue diamond by Judiblueyes
Up a Topic Howdy posted in Greet New Members by redraider
Older:
Down a Topic BEST diamond grading tools today by andreayung23
Down a Topic Need to have very small inlay done posted in JEWELRY by mredmond