Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice
Hits: Out=133, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-04-03 , 08:19 AM

Photos of my clean untreated cut and uncut Colombian emeralds! I have lived in Colombia since 1975.

Attached Images
gems1jun2.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 202
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-04-03 , 08:32 AM

Smooth! How are things on the senile NewTurfers forum?

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old winyan

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
winyan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Wow Portal
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-04-03 , 08:35 AM

Those are just gorgeous!

win

Old Musthave

My Profile
Sapphire : offline
Years:

My Karma
Musthave is on a distinguished road

WOW!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-04-03 , 08:56 AM

Thank you so much for sharing!

Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-04-03 , 10:31 AM

Oh MY!!

I just LOVE emeralds, what a gorgeous collection!

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-04-03 , 02:03 PM

"What you see is what you get", or, "Make me an offer I can't refuse."
I have in stock 96 cut and uncut emeralds, total weight 104 carats, ready for custom mounting in 18kt gold; if you send a picture of the ring, pendant or bracelet you want, you can choose your stones and I'll have it made to order.
Now that I have a Sony Mavica MVC-FD7, I can send you unretouched photos of these stones and jewellry for your pre-approval. I will be in the USA in July and would agree to meet anyone who is seriously interested in seeing my collection in person before making any financial committment. I'm not a jeweller or gem seller by profession, so I don't make my living this way, but I do this business as a enjoyable and profitable sideline. If you're interested in clean untreated cut or uncut Colombian emerald crystals, I'm the man you want to contact: PORTAL2012@hotmail.com

Rodentman: I have been banned 5 times from newturfers.com (as Portal, Dave-the-man, POB213, Bruno, and BigBear).
It used to be a great forum and I've learned a lot about Rolex there. What rich arrogant ignorant losers are "moderators" Stryke and Ayjay, they think I'm envious of them!. If you express another point of view there, you get deleted! Only a$$-kissers allowed, double standards apply. Dennykee was recently banned also.
I wish you would stop by there and protest! LOL

Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CnSpotts is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-04-03 , 02:11 PM

Oh those are lovely emeralds!!!

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-04-03 , 10:22 PM

I'll take some pictures in the morning sunlight tomorrow, these clean untreated good color well-cut Colombian emeralds are absolutely dazzling. I've been busy lately because my oldest daughter is getting married on Saturday. All my children are down here in Colombia for the wedding party, and my older son brought down his Sony Mavica, it's 5 years old but still a sweet camera, I took my first digital pictures yesterday. Tell me people, what CUTs and SIZEs do you like best and whether you're inclined to a ring, pendant or bracelet. I'd be willing to trade emeralds for diamonds: equal weight, cut, color quality, and clarity. Prices are in the hundreds NOT thousands of dollars. Anybody have any emerald questions?

Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 06-04-03 , 10:41 PM

I'd like a 3-4ct, rectangular to squarish, deep color, nearly crystal clear emerald....got one of those lying around?

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 06-06-03 , 01:39 AM

I will post pictures tomorrow of some stones that might fit the bill. May I ask what exactly your plans would be for such a stone? pendant? ring?
18kt yellow or white gold? alone or with other stones?

Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Bogus natural emeralds?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 06-06-03 , 12:15 PM

Portal I appreciate the beautiful photos of your emeralds and down the road I do desire a fantasic one myself for either a ring or pendent, not really sure just yet, it would depend on the stone and it's cost, it might just have to lie around until I could afford a setting.

I'm not implying that you'd do such a thing but after a conversaiton with a local jeweler I'm hesitant to purchase online. What do you know about seeding emeralds or something along the lines of creating a naturally mined looking emerald through a process that starts wtih a tiny natural emerald crystal? A jeweler here told me to watch out for emeralds that appeared to be natural but infact were grown through some seed process making them more like created emeralds and not mined. He said they are being marketed as naturally mined emeralds and look to be so, but under close scrutiny to the trained emerald eye they were able to detect a pyramid or cone shape that leads down to the "seed crystal."

I doubt if I've described this accurately but as a consumer I'd like to know what it is exactly that I'm consuming.

Does anyone have any information about counterfiet emeralds?

Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 06-06-03 , 12:20 PM

Portal, I appoligize that the above post sounds like I'm pointing at you, I am not and don't intend that.

I'd like to see some of your lovely emeralds and will certainly entertain the idea of aquiring one.

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 06-06-03 , 08:27 PM

Dear CnSpotts,

The pictures are only bits and bytes, the idea is to give you an idea of what the stone looks like; of course you would want to see the stone before committing yourself and I accept that. I tried to take some photos of "your" stone but the day was overcast and only way that a decent photo can be taken is in sunlight. Resolution is not very good with this camera I'm afraid. As I mentioned, my oldest daughter is getting married Saturday evening and I'll get those photos posted as soon as possible. The stone for you is in the pic I posted; square cut with deep color, smaller than your request, inclusions are visible but no carbon spots, set (for the moment) in a 18kt white gold pendant.

Real emeralds have a "jardin" or "garden" and anyone using a loupe can easily detect a real emerald; even determine the mine of origen based on these characteristics. Synthetic and cultured stones do not have this charactistic. Treatments (Gemtrat, Opticon, cedar oil, etc.) show up under UV filtered light; I deal only in 100% untreated emeralds.

Would you be interested in meeting me somewhere in July for a look? I will be in Houston and NYC next month and perhaps there is some way for you to see the stones, no one would be silly enough to buy an enmerald from a private seller based on a few posts and jpgs! I would be happy to accompany you to your jeweller of confidence to get his (her) approval of the authenticity of and appraisal of these stones. Thanks for your interest!

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
YourGemologist is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=6004, In=1753
Referrals: 13

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 06-07-03 , 02:02 AM

Portal,

I used to work for Jules R. Sauer and Amsterdam Sauer, and counted Hans Stern as my friend, back when I worked in the Caribbean and South America. And I have friends at the La Pita mine in Colombia who supply me with information and teaching specimens from Colombia.

I only offer the above as my background to be able to say......Your collection is excellent! A very fine collection of classic Colombian emeralds.

Thank you for sharing this excellent collection with us. Iam sure there is much history shown in this photograph that would be of interest to everyone here.

Muchas gracias, mi Amigo. Mucho gusto para el collection!

With my apologies for my rather poor Spanish.

......................... ............

Below is the star emeralds found at the Muzo mine that I photographed at Tucson thanks to my amigos from La Pita, Colombia

Attached Images
emeraldstar.jpeg

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 06-07-03 , 12:28 PM

Robert, I greatly appreciate your evaluation. I know of your work from this forum and the old Gemkey forum: "the good old days".

I'm posting jpgs of the stone closest to CnSpotts request:
untreated, deep color, excellent square cut, beautiful "jardin", no black spots. It's ONLY approximately two carats though; a comparable four-carat stone would cost quite a few thousands of dollars.

I think that if buyers can select from the stones in my collection, it's a better deal than having to go out looking for a stone. That said, it's less expensive to custom cut a stone from available rough emerald than to look for a cut stone.

As you all know, it's important to maintain control of the stone, from the rough stone from the mine, which can't really be faked, to the final product, at which time it is much more difficult to identify origen as such.

I will be posting more (many more digital photos soon, these stones in full sunlight in their full glory.

Here are some pics with better light; I have tried to capture the stone's "fire". In the first jpg, the color looks opaque, which it is not; in the second you can see the same stone in a better light. The hand belongs to my wife!

I beleive that marketing loose stones brings problems to the seller, because the little guys are so easy to drop, blow away or lose. I use custom 18 kt yellow gold settings; white gold is significantly more expensive to use (25% palladium with a final rhodium electroplate protection). Once mounted on a pendant or ring, the stone is secure, can be handled easily, and will not blow away or readily go missing.
Obviously, the setting can be changed; I will accept the return of the setting if the client wishes.

These jewels are 100% Colombian: emerald mined in Muzo, Cosquez or Chivor; cut in Bogotá and set in Santa Marta with Colombian gold, (palladium and rhodium must be imported), and I offer custom work for buyers so they receive a ready-to-wear jewel rather than a loose stone. Send me a photo of the jewelery item you would like and our craftsmen will make you one just like it with the stone you have chosen.

Well, my oldest daughter's wedding is tonight, and it's not the best time to be taking photos of stones. I'll post a few pics I took this morning. While they don't nearly do justice to the stones, they give you an idea of their characteristics in differnt lights and from differnt angles.

As I said before it would be silly for anyone to buy an emerald without seeing it in person first, preferably in the presence of a knowledgeable and independent gem expert.

I've been thinking of auctioning off my emerald collection somewhere in the USA this summer, I would appreciate any advice you all could give me on that idea. It's approximately 100 stones, approximate total weight 100 carats. I repeat, I'm looking for an offer I can't refuse!

Please feel free to email me with questions, comments or propositions, all welcome!

Attached Images
mvc-026s.jpg

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

More photos of untreated emeralds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 06-07-03 , 12:32 PM

The photo simply doesn't do justice to the emerald

Attached Images
mvc-025s.jpg

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

I hope I'm not boring anyone with these photos!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 06-07-03 , 12:40 PM

More photos. I hope to post better quality pics soon. The Sony Mavica is not high resolution, nor do I have a macro or closeup lens, too bad

Attached Images
mvc-024s.jpg

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Wedding cake
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 06-07-03 , 05:50 PM

Here's an off-topic wedding cake for my daughter's marriage tonight.

Attached Images
mvc-029f.jpg

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
YourGemologist is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=6004, In=1753
Referrals: 13

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 06-08-03 , 11:53 PM

Portal,

Thank you for the continued posting of these very fine emeralds.

And as we say here: Mazel Tov to your daughter on the occasion of her wedding. May she have long life and happiness!

Thank you for sharing these excellent emerald photographs. I am sure someone would be very interested if you decide to sell them.

All the best to everyone there...

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

New thread
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 06-09-03 , 01:13 PM

Thank you Robert!! It certainly was an amazing weekend.
I finally took some better pictures of some emeralds in sunlight, and I'll post them on a new thread. I hope other readers will post somne comments.

Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Congratulations to your daughter!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 06-09-03 , 01:38 PM

I hope the wedding went well and best wishes to your daughter and new son in law for a happy life together.

I'm just drooling for those emeralds, they are beautiful. Thank you for posting. I can see the color and clearness of the stone you hold up, no doubt a winner. Timing isn't good for us, we're saving every dime for a 2nd business that's in the works currently to open later this year. Plus my husband and I agreed that we'll make an adventure of finding the perfect emerald down the road together. It surely will cost us many thousands because it will include the vacation to find it!

I will look forward to more photos of your emeralds. You will have no trouble finding them homes here in the US.

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Come on down!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 06-09-03 , 04:59 PM

Planning a trip to Colombia?
Here's a good link to follow, site run by a foreign resident of Colombia's capital, Bogotá:
http://www.poorbuthappy.com

Read Messages in: Gemstones Photo Gallery All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Emeralds in the sun by Portal2012
Up a Topic Rodentman Diamond you gave me posted in DIAMONDS by Horizon
Older:
Down a Topic i Candy by Bella
Down a Topic Wedding Themes posted in Planning a Wedding by sweet7696