Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old xymox

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
xymox is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-26-03 , 02:28 PM

Hi,

My first post here. I hope someone can give me some advice on my situation. I saw Steve Kretchmer's tension setting at Belenky Brothers gallery (BB) here in NYC and immediately feel in love with it. I decided Kretchmer's tension setting will be on the engagement ring for my fiance-to-be. Before I proceed with the purchase, I checked with the diamond price on www.diamond.com. I found BB's diamond costed about $1,500 more. Am I paying too much because I want Kretchmer's tension setting? Can I get tension setting anywhere else besides Stuart Moore and BB? What can I do to make sure I'm paying the right price for the diamond?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

-JH

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-26-03 , 06:18 PM

If you purchase the Kretchmer ring, you are probably purchasing a service contract at the same time. Tension settings can be a wee bit of a service nightmare over time, if your fiance' gais or loses weight. It is likely that the cost of the additional service is built into the purchase price.
Want my recommendation? (Here it is anyway!)
Choose the diamond you want, and have a reputable jeweler build you a MOCK tension setting...one that has a heavy loop under the diamond to hold the shoulders together, but is invisible from the top.
Doing so will provide you with a similar look, and a far superior stone security for many, many years, in spite of wear and tear and possible sizings.
If you really want the Kretchmer ring, buy it, but don't expect to get a good tension ring from anyone else. His company does it best, and I believe that they guarantee them.

David

Old yahalom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
yahalom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-26-03 , 06:24 PM

Trademark issues aside, tension set rings are certainly widely available. If I were you, I would try not to overpay, especially considering you'd just be paying for some name. Additionally, you should be aware of the fact that tension set rings in yellow gold or platinum are not, I repeat, NOT secure. Go for white gold only. You must also be sure of her finger size, sizing a tension set is a no-no.

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-26-03 , 06:35 PM

You see, already you have a difference of opinion here.
Kretchmer's rings ARE platinum, but a heat-treatable alloy, his own formula.
If you aren't buying from a big name, I would suggest avoiding the true tension setting altogether. The diamond, aside from price, carries too large an emotional package for you to risk its loss from a setting which looks "cool" until it's gone.
GET A WRITTEN GUARANTEE.
Better to buy a ring which will last longer than your lifetimes.

David

Old xymox

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
xymox is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-26-03 , 07:24 PM

Can anyone tell me if this is overpriced:

Diamond:
round, 1.20, VS1, G, ideal cut = $9500

Setting:
Kretchmer's platinum round omega = $2900

Thanks.

Old debinsandiego

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
debinsandiego is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-26-03 , 09:58 PM

xymox,

For more info on Kretchmer's tension settings, do a search, use KRETCHMER TENSION SETTING.

This is one I thought was good.

KRETCHMER POST

I also was looking into a tension setting, and was told that the KRETCHMER was the only tension setting to trust. Since I really wanted an asscher, I was told they would not tension set an asscher. Thus, I have gone with a modified tension-like setting that a local jeweler did and I'm VERY VERY happy with it. If I were not so into having the asscher, but rather a round, then the KRETCHMER rings would be the way to go.

Good luck on your searches.

I'm hopeful SOME ONE ... ANY ONE ... would PIPE UP and say how their KRETCHMER or other tension setting has held up over time... any one... any takers... Buler... Buler...

debinsandiego signature
Asscher Addict
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16886, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-28-03 , 04:13 PM

Gelin-Abaci also makes some very nice tension settings and is a reputable company as well. You might check out some of their styles at:
http://www.moissanite.com/gallery/c...alog_IE/fsm.htm

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Last edited by Jan : 05-28-03 at 04:14 PM.
Read Messages in: NY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Kretchmer tension setting by xymox
Up a Topic Ideas posted in Your Proposal & Wedding Stories by cdblack
Older:
Down a Topic Test by xymox
Down a Topic Platinum Tension Settings posted in JEWELRY by ontherox