Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old hello12

My Profile
User Awaiting Email Confirmation : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
hello12 is on a distinguished road

Diamond district in San Francisco (bay area)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-21-03 , 09:40 PM

Are there any diamond districts or wholesale dealers in bay area?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old orca99

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
orca99 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-25-04 , 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I heard about a place in SF called the Jewelry Mart. How does one get into the mart if they are not a retailer?

Mark

Old hbunny

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
hbunny is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-26-04 , 02:40 AM

Hi Mark,

I have been to the JewelryMart (aka the GiftCenter) twice. The first time, I went as a guest of someone who held a resale license. The second time, I requested a guest pass on the website of one stores in the JM (see below). Once you get in, you can visit any of the other stores.

Which store are you planning to visit? What kind of jewelry are you looking for?

I highly recommend Giraux (pronounced gee-row, suite 129). I was introduced to them by my FMIL, and the people there are absolutely fantastic. They are so kind, their selection is great, and their deals are jaw-dropping. I know two other people who only go to Giraux, and they bring their friends there and tell them "you don't need to go any further than this". I brought my mom back there last week to reset her engagement diamond - she loves her new ring, and I love the deal I got .

You can request a guest pass here:

Giraux
http://www.giraux.com/services/guestpass.php

Here's the website for the GiftCenter/JewelryMart
http://www.gcjm.com/

Good luck in whatever you're searching for!

Old orca99

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
orca99 is on a distinguished road

Thank you
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-26-04 , 10:45 AM

Thank you hbunny,

I'm looking to get my wife an "engagement" ring after 25 years. I heard about Derco's and thought I would stop in there.

Mark

Old hbunny

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
hbunny is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-26-04 , 01:44 PM

Here's Derco's website:

http://www.dercodiamonds.com

You can make an appointment with them online or over the phone.

I had a negative experience at Derco's, even though many friends had recommended them. I hope you have a better experience there! Good luck in your search.

Old AWMatrixGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
AWMatrixGirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-12-05 , 06:34 PM

I've been to this "warehouse" of jewelers before. My fiancee and I just walked in and named one of the jewelers. We didn't need any type of pass or anything. Once we were in, we visited whatever store we wanted. None of the stores turned us away or anything. It's a great place to browse for style options and possible deals. Many had good prices if you're looking for a premade setting. However, beware of having a custom setting done. Many of the jewelers displayed custom works that did not appeal to me or my fiancee. We saw multiple trellis style settings that were uneven or even crooked. Take a very close look before buying! Most will offer very competitive prices. We ended up having my ring custom made at a local jeweler. This store showed good workmanship and was competitively priced.

Old AWMatrixGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
AWMatrixGirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-12-05 , 06:41 PM

I only know of one that I visited. It's the San Francisco Jewelery Center.

http://www.sfjewelrycenter.com/index.html

Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
Merv is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=288, In=0
Referrals: 1

Re: diamond district in San Francisco (bay area)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-31-06 , 03:44 AM

There are and there used to be more when I was young and new to the trade, but now they are few and far between, if your not in the trade don't expect to be able to buy at the true wholesale. That's the price that the dealer selling to you must pay for it. That's rather simple isn't it?

Merv

Old meepcat

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
meepcat is on a distinguished road

Atlas Diamonds in San Francisco
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-19-06 , 09:09 PM

http://www.atlasdiamond.com/

(800) 75-ATLAS (415) 433-5123
760 Market St San Francisco, CA 94102-2401

Highly recommend them -- they're very AGS/GIA-centric. Also, they're hospitable and attentive to the customer.

Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Atlas Diamonds in San Francisco
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-20-06 , 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepcat

Highly recommend them -- they're very AGS/GIA-centric. Also, they're hospitable and attentive to the customer.

beside this they are close to the elevator and kind to pets

Old BusNative

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
BusNative is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 02-27-08 , 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepcat

This was a VERY good recommendation. Great people and a they had MUCH better price for the diamond I bought. Saved thousands over Tiffany.

Last edited by BusNative : 02-27-08 at 09:42 PM.
Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 02-27-08 , 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusNative
This was a VERY good recommendation. Great people and a they had MUCH better price for the diamond I bought. Saved thousands over Tiffany.

I've been aquainted with Atlas for many years and can recommend them as I describe the trade at their level. I'm certain that Svikie has trade customers, but I know of no retailer who buys from him. And when you sell to the retail trade, your a retailer. <-PERIOD

Old InnerKitten

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Necklace

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 2

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 96
InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Diamond district in San Francisco (bay area)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-01-08 , 10:09 AM

I've been to the jewelry mart, I live in SF. It's a lot of fun actually. Derco is there and a few more that I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello12
Are there any diamond districts or wholesale dealers in bay area?

Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-01-08 , 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerKitten
I've been to the jewelry mart, I live in SF. It's a lot of fun actually. Derco is there and a few more that I can't remember.

I don't, and may never, know why members of the consumer public believe that they are entitled to purchase diamonds or other jewelry at wholesale. When I operated a retail store, I would refuse to buy merchandise from anyone whom I found selling to the retail public. Because I knew then that I wasn't getting the real true wholesale price from them but rather another level of discount. Think of this and buy wisely.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8887, In=2
Referrals: 2

News Flash
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-01-08 , 09:45 PM

Derco has gone bankrupt.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old InnerKitten

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma
InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute InnerKitten has a reputation beyond repute

Re: News Flash
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-01-08 , 10:29 PM

Wow, how and when did that happen. I was in their store at the San Francisco center just the other day. Does that mean they will be gone for good soon?
How did you find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Derco has gone bankrupt.

Last edited by InnerKitten : 04-01-08 at 10:31 PM.
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8887, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 04-01-08 , 10:36 PM

A month or so ago I heard about it through news to the trade.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 04-01-08 , 11:15 PM

Quote:

Suggestion: know both identification and evaluation of the product and then compare, compare and compare

Old InnerKitten

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-01-08 , 11:35 PM

Thats too bad. I really like the people there and the new store downtown is in a great location, I love dropping in there when I'm downtown. I hope they get the good luck they need.
I hate to think of all those employees out of work.

Quote:

Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Derco or Herco
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 04-01-08 , 11:39 PM

Herco is in the Phelan bldg at 760 Market St. Great mergandise, fair prices open to the public. As far as I know.

Old InnerKitten

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Re: Derco or Herco
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 04-02-08 , 12:33 AM

I know the phelan building. There are quite a few gem cutters and jewelers there but they aren't all willing to work with the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv
Herco is in the Phelan bldg at 760 Market St. Great mergandise, fair prices open to the public. As far as I know.

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 364
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=277, In=0

Re: diamond district in San Francisco (bay area)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 04-03-08 , 07:14 AM

Quote:
There are and there used to be more when I was young and new to the trade, but now they are few and far between, if your not in the trade don't expect to be able to buy at the true wholesale. That's the price that the dealer selling to you must pay for it. That's rather simple isn't it?

Merv

Merv,
Are you saying that Wholesalers sell for what hey pay fo r it ...not a penny more??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmm what is in it for them??
When I was in high school I worked in a yarn and needlepoint company that had a wholesale division and a retail shop attached in another nuilding.
I assure you Wholesale back then in that business was not COST.
It was higher with a profit margin attached. I have bought needlepoint wholesale ( years ago) so I stil have afew canvases to work on 20 years later) and I paid 50% off teh retial price but the wholesaler still made a profit.
So now that I explained where I am coming from what exactly are you trying to say that wholesalers make no $$ selling wholesale and that wholesalers hnever sell to retail customers at wholesale price>..or that customers get a discount but just not a trrue wholesale price??
In college my best friends dad owned a watch company on 47th street in NYC, he told us anything we wanted he'd get it for us wholesale I was somewhat curious and asked what is the big difference and he said about 300% off a retail shop!
So in my estimation manufacturers or sources have a mark up , wholesalers have one as do retailers.

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Wholesalers vs Retailers = Conumers ?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 04-03-08 , 06:09 PM

manufacturers or sources have a mark up , wholesalers have one as do retailers.

Quick Reply I chose to use your words so as to not cofuse the issure with mine. What you say is exactly right. My objection is how and why the conumer believes that they can find a wholesaler who will sell to them at the TRUE trade price. As you explain it is all but impossible.

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 364
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=277, In=0

Re: Wholesalers vs Retailers = Conumers ?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 04-04-08 , 06:54 AM

Quote:
manufacturers or sources have a mark up , wholesalers have one as do retailers.

Quick Reply I chose to use your words so as to not cofuse the issure with mine. What you say is exactly right. My objection is how and why the conumer believes that they can find a wholesaler who will sell to them at the TRUE trade price. As you explain it is all but impossible.

Thanks for the clarification! In this day of high diamond, gold and jewelry prices I think consumers are delighted to find a jeweler who is honest , trustworthy and discounts somewhat honestly .Not overly inflating prices to offer a 50% off sale. A fair price for the best quality goods is acceptable. In my opinion trust is the upmost quality needed to be a successful jeweler, to inspire return customers and spread by word of mouth.

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Read Messages in: CA All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Good micropave setter in los angeles area by myheyzeus
Up a Topic Jewelersalert com Jewelers Protecting Jewelers posted in DIAMONDS by DIAMONDPAIRS
Older:
Down a Topic Looking for customer engraver in Los Angeles Area by jcmiro
Down a Topic 1 01 VS2 H GIA Asscher Diamond posted in FEEDBACK by Jan