Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

View Poll Results: Pale yellow tint in diamonds (opinions - not wishes)
pale yellow tint seems not as good to me regardless *if* it is a modern ring a vintage (it is just engrained - darn De Beers) 54 27.98%
Pale yellow tint seems not as good to me but ONLY *if* it is a modern ring (I expect color in vintage) 56 29.02%
Not myself, but I am SURE others might see it as not as good as a white stone. (I love a hint of color in ALL diamonds) 46 23.83%
who cares what people think (I know this is not helpful, and yes some probably think less of tint but big deal - I want to believe no one should care) 37 19.17%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply New Thread

Old Raech

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-16-03 , 06:13 PM

Do people see a hint of yellow as inferior?

This seems like a neat poll idea to me.

Please read the answers VERY carefully, and be brutally honest. Not everyone is Pollyanna. Which is why I chose a poll for honesty instead, since it is anonymous.

No great debates here. Just a fun blind poll. ENJOY!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Grace G

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Grace G is on a distinguished road

Pale Yellow
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-16-03 , 07:15 PM

I was quite intriqued by a recent post from Wink talking about a 5000 2 carat stone he had in a low color. He compared it to the "pale yellow" interlaps that Mercier posted.

I think a pale yellow ring, done in a vintage type setting would be quite lovely. I don't know if the "best" cutters use rough in that low range (there aren't so many of them on ).

I do have a low color (M) diamond, but it is a brownish yellow-nice head on-but kind of yucky from the side. I like that lemony yellow.

I was checking out wedding bands to go w/ my new three stone and saw a pale yellow marquise diamond that was HUGE- (5 carats) and rather liked it. It was still pretty $$, but the store was the same one that tried to charge me 5500 for two uncertified G-VS2 .75 side stones.

I wonder when yellow cheap turns into $$$$$ yellow??? I am not as crazy about the "vivid" stones.

Perhaps a large stone is my future???

Edited to add I want to buy one of those stones from Wink to check out!!!

Last edited by Grace G : 05-16-03 at 07:16 PM.
Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-16-03 , 08:07 PM

dunno. I like the light pale ones, don't really like anything in the fancy range I think. Not into brown, but I am sure that is cos my mom got brown everything. A wall in the livingroom all my life. Her car was brown, clothes... you get the point.

To me champagne seems like it should be pale yellow. Ya know? Like the drink. Odd.

Hope everyone is enjoying this poll as much as I am.

OOps edited to add....
Maybe a DT jeweler here could find you a big pale rock.

Last edited by Raech : 05-16-03 at 08:08 PM.
Old Amethyste

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
Amethyste is on a distinguished road

Funny how...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-16-03 , 08:27 PM

people can "see" differently. Though I have money to buy a white diamond, I just don't like them as much as the ones in the I-J-K range. I know I'm crazy, but white diamonds, TO ME, lacks personnality. I like them with a hint of warmth and color. I will NEVER buy a white diamond. But I'll pay for a VVS and higher clarity over color ANY day! An ideal cut stone with the added tint, just makes my eyes dream and my heart sing...

Amethyste signature
-=Amethyste -
Apres la Pluie, le Soleil!
Old elliefold

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 72
elliefold is a jewel in the rough elliefold is a jewel in the rough elliefold is a jewel in the rough
Hits: Out=164, In=5

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-16-03 , 09:01 PM

I'm interested to hear the opinion on this one... I'm about to purchase an OMC that is L-M in color. I love the faint light yellow color, and as much as I tell myself that I don't care what other people think - - I'm still wondering what other people think of the yellow color!

Old Amethyste

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
Amethyste is on a distinguished road

Ellie,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-16-03 , 09:07 PM

What really matter is what you think of the stone. I personally couldn't give a rat's a$$ about what other people think. I wear my jewelry with pride regardless if it's a J or an D color. Remember, you are paying for something that pleases you, not others.

Amethyste signature
-=Amethyste -
Apres la Pluie, le Soleil!
Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-16-03 , 09:16 PM

No I TOTALLY here you. I would love to say I don't give a rats @$$ but after a year of thinking about it I think I do.

Plus this poll seemed like it would be fascinating. I think I am gonna ask my friend who knows jack about diamonds too next time we are at a store.

Old elliefold

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
elliefold is a jewel in the rough elliefold is a jewel in the rough elliefold is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-16-03 , 09:18 PM

I definitely wish I could say that I don't give a rat's a$$, but I just keep coming back to it.

Old Mexi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
Mexi is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-16-03 , 09:27 PM

I don't know who invented the rules about diamonds. To me, ANY color diamond is beautiful. How come out of the whole spectrum of colors, only the non whites are considered bad? Is it because there is such a great supply of them so let's discourage anyone from buying them?

That's my honest answer.

Give me any color diamond with eye-clean clarity and excellent cut and I'm happy.

Mexi signature
~ Mexi ~
Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma
Power: 100
ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-16-03 , 09:27 PM

I'll take an icy-white one hands down any day

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 166
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-16-03 , 10:06 PM

I own some OEC diamonds, I color, high clarity. They are 'near colorless,' you can see a very faint yellow color, though to the untrained eye they appear 'white.' They are in antique and antique reproduction settings, and I like the look a lot. If you like the appearance of lower color, then go for it and enjoy your beautiful diamond.
I also like the look of 'icy white,' though I don't own any rocks of high color. A nice dream is one of an icy white emerald cut, 3 or 4 carats set in platinum.

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 74
synicgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-16-03 , 10:09 PM

Oh how I hate my computer.

I posted a good response to this and it's gone.

I'll try to reiterate what I said but it isn't going to sound as good.

I think my feelings on this subject are probably very similar to many other peoples. I think this was an interesting idea and I love polls, but I'm not sure how well my beliefs on the matter would translate to one clear choice on the poll.

It's easy to say "I don't care what people think" or "This is what I think but I think it for me and am not sure why I think it" or of course, the lovely, but not entirely realistic "I don't think anyone should care what people think."

I think, for the most part, DeBeers and social conditioning as a whole play a big part in our diamond preferances whether we are aware of it or not. There is something to be said for individual preferance but there is much more to it than people think (or rather not think about).

However, I also think we have common standards that we use to judge the looks of things much like we agree on what is attractive. Call it animal instinct.

Case in point: tinted diamonds. Diamonds that have that no-where-near-fancy look but instead resemble pee-yellow most people think are ugly. I certainly do. I don't know about the more saturated yellows - ones that are not considered fancies but more saturated with a clearly yellow look. Those don't seem like they would be as bad to me. They could probably even be quite charming.

I am not talking about the near colorless stones some DTers here will incorrectly call "warm" (to me these stones are what they are called - near colorless). I do think some warmer stones can be beautiful, especially ones with a pinkish or even grayish tint to them.

But pee-yellow and poo-brownish tints will never look favorable to the eye. That's what I think anyway.

I do think DeBeers has set the standard for colorless diamonds to be used in E-rings. And like Mexi pointed out, this was probably pushed a good deal in part because these stones are more rare, and they can expect to ask people to pay more for them.

I wouldn't want anything other than a colorless diamond in my future ring. But beyond conditioning I think this is because I like the overall look and message of such a stone. I think a crisp, (and at least not noticeably tinted) white diamond looks beautiful set in the right metal. White is pure and neutral and best of all, it will go with everything. I want a ring like this for my E-ring. J-Lo drove everyone wild with her pink diamond (and don't get me wrong, the color is beautiful and the idea of a pink diamond E-ring is exciting) but ultimately I think it is better to stick with something more classic.

Some people choose a beautiful ruby or other precious gemstone for their E-ring because they do not have the money for a diamond of comparable quality, or perhaps simply because they do not want one, but for me, I like the idea of having something that will go with everything.

If I wanted to buy a yellow gemstone I would opt for a yellow sapphire or something similar rather than buy a diamond because 1) there is no way I could afford such a diamond! and 2) because I would never want to spend so much money on any stone other than a diamond, or one for a non-engagement purchase. I know this was ingrained, but an E-ring is a very big purchase depending on the size and quality (both of which I want a good amount of). Many people will never spend near that amount on any other jewelry purchase in their lives. I will most likely be one of them. I would never wear a colored E-ring so why shell out big dough for a colored diamond?

I think it will be interesting to see where this poll goes and hopefully I can try to narrow down a choice I identify most with.

Thanks for the poll, Raech.

edited for typos

synicgrrl signature
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Last edited by synicgrrl : 05-16-03 at 10:15 PM.
Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
synicgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-16-03 , 10:31 PM

Itbit,

I know about that dream, too.

Just wanted to add that it is very interesting how many people are okay with lower-color diamonds in antique rings but not in modern settings. I think this category is in the lead right now. (?)

Curious as to why this is. Do you guys just like the look more (or maybe, can just tolerate it more) in the older settings because you think it is hidden better or is complimentary in vintage rings? Or do you think bystanders will be less likely to pass that "oh, you can totally see that thing is yellow" judgment on a "family ring" or piece-of-history type item?

Honestly, if you say you like - or do not like - lower color diamonds it should be about the rock itself and not depend on the material the stone is set in. To me that makes it seem like it really is based on conditioning more than anything else. As in you don't really like the tint but you think you can "get away with it" in this ring where you can't in the other. But maybe it really is about thinking the color goes better with a certain styling of a certain era. I am willing to believe that if someone says that's why.

I voted...

I went with #3. I don't really prefer lower-color over whiter, but I don't see them as inferior or judge against them. Maybe if I saw someone with a huge rock of crappy quality and pee-yellow color I would, but only because it would be obvious that size was the only thing they were going for. If it was attention they were seeking, their choice would work against them with me.

And like many others, I would be rather nervous or potentially embarassed to wear a lower-color diamond myself - one that I think most people *would* find inferior, even if it was what I really liked, for fear that I would be judged. I know it shouldn't matter, but I am young and fragile. I will be the first to admit I really do care what people think. My mom says you care less when you're older, and I certainly hope that's the case.

synicgrrl signature
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Last edited by synicgrrl : 05-16-03 at 10:38 PM.
Old Lizzy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Lizzy is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=292, In=0

I vote #5 . . .
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 05-16-03 , 11:14 PM

There is one choice that is missing

For a modern setting I would notice a lower color, but unless compared directly to another stone I think 95% of the population will not notice. I have a 1 1/2 carat solitaire that is an L color set in a thick yellow gold band. My friends look at me like I have two heads when I tell them it is a low color, until I put it up right next to a white or near-white diamond. Unless your friends and acquaintances are part of the DT family, I don't think they will really even notice. I have a friend with a J color diamond (1 ct. princess) in a white gold setting, and while I can see the warmth (and would not have put it in white gold) she gets raves on her set. Another friend recently bought a 3 ct. J, ideal cut. She is someone who swore she would never go lower than a G, but with the cut the diamond practically glows in the dark.

And for fun and games, here is a light yellow 5 ct. princess I have on the way to me :-) The cut looks a little weird in the picture, I'll have to see what it looks like in person.

Lizzy

Lizzy signature
I LOVE EBAY BRIDES!!!
Attached Images
yellow princess.jpg

Old LadyHawk

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
LadyHawk is on a distinguished road

Re: Funny how...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-16-03 , 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amethyste
people can "see" differently. Though I have money to buy a white diamond, I just don't like them as much as the ones in the I-J-K range. I know I'm crazy, but white diamonds, TO ME, lacks personnality. I like them with a hint of warmth and color. I will NEVER buy a white diamond. But I'll pay for a VVS and higher clarity over color ANY day! An ideal cut stone with the added tint, just makes my eyes dream and my heart sing...

I couldn't have said it better, Amethyst! There is something about that little bit of, as you put it, warmth and color.
LH

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-16-03 , 11:22 PM

Yes for me it is the pee thing too. It is not a rational thing but there it is.

I just didn't want to come right out and say it.

Anyone care to say what the pee benchmark is? I know to *me* I would guess L on. But I have not seen that many diamonds with certs to know.

And forget this jazz of facing up whiter. Pee is pee. I know it is my problem, one persons pee thought is another person's thought of gorgeous bubbly champagne in a glass. It is my problem, and I see I am not alone.

My I does have a hint of tint but does not look like pee. Does a J or K? I don't know.

As for vintage stones or ones set to look like them. I think some people (probably me included depending on the color) make allowances for older diamond mined stones. Yes it is the heirloom factor. And knowledge that stones used to be more yellow.

I have often said that brownish yellow is not acceptable to me. It looks like tobacco stain to me. This all has to be association. Do ya think?

Anyway I did not mean for yet another color debate. I did mean for a blind test. I think we will still get one if everyone votes with their nagging feeling and not their Pollyanna side

edited to add one more thing:
This is shaping up to be an interesting poll and discussion. Thanks guys.

BTW, I may actually go for a J asscher cut. Still trying to be sure. Have no idea were to see certed Js anywhere.

Wish they had to cert is it was brown, yellow, or grey color in the body. Wonder why they don't??

Last edited by Raech : 05-16-03 at 11:28 PM.
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 05-16-03 , 11:25 PM

I don't know why, maybe it's just that I am conditioned to the look, but there is something very charming about a warm diamond low-set in an antique filigree setting. One of my I color diamonds definitely has a light tint of grey rather than yellow. I am with you on your dislike of 'pee color.' I don't like to look at a diamond and the thought of 'pee' being the first thing that enters my mind. There is a large princess diamond in a plain solitaire platinum setting sitting in the case of a local jewelry store. It is being sold as J or K, I can't remember, but that thing makes me think of 'pee' every time I see it.

Last edited by Itbit : 05-16-03 at 11:33 PM.
Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 05-16-03 , 11:30 PM

LOL! now you have to go in and tell me if it is certed (GIA or AGS - as we know others don't count )

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 05-16-03 , 11:30 PM

I also think it depends on the individual diamond. I've seen stones with low color which have an almost metallic quality to them; the color has a beauty that glows. Other stones with the same color grade just look brown and icky. I once saw a brown (champagne) diamond at a jewelry store and the color looked like watered-down Pepsi, but it glowed in a bronzy metallic way, and I wished that it was mine. My friend later showed me her champagne diamond and it was just brown and awful.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-16-03 , 11:31 PM

LOL! Those pesky labs have a way of confusing things, especially EGL

Old elliefold

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 05-16-03 , 11:33 PM

I hear the "pee" issue loud and clear. Just for giggles ... what does everyone think of this ring? Pee?

Attached Images
omc.jpg

Old elliefold

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-16-03 , 11:34 PM

Another one...

Attached Images
omc4.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-16-03 , 11:41 PM

Again, I'm probably just an antique-loving weirdo, but those rings look good to me because the diamond has an old cut and the setting is antique-style.
Though the color is...ahem...kind of like 'pee.' :-)

Old elliefold

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-16-03 , 11:44 PM

Oh hum... I loved the OMC cut and the antique setting, but I was afraid of the pee factor...

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 05-16-03 , 11:48 PM

I know what you mean. Though my antique diamonds are lower color, they are white enough that 'pee' doesn't come to mind.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic I color diamond in platinum by red6speed
Up a Topic I color diamond in platinum posted in DIAMONDS by red6speed
Older:
Down a Topic Asscher questions please help by aeris506
Down a Topic Asscher questions please help posted in DIAMONDS by aeris506