Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old jean

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jean is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-25-00 , 02:57 PM

Has anyone bought good quality emerald gemstones and could therefore advice me on proportions, colour, clarity or cost. Is there a site with these guidelines e.g. a newsgroup like this diamond one?

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-25-00 , 06:12 PM

I'm afraid that's a big, "No" from me

I *did* buy some emeralds in Colombia. I did see them under a microscope and saw that they did not appear included. They are not, however, a very deep color and I know, now, that they were probably oiled...even though they seemed to be so "natural", just spilled out of a jeweler's bag onto the counter!

I am afraid to buy a colored gemstone of any substance; *I* do not know enough how to judge one. I'd like to know about rubies what you want to know about emeralds, though.

AGBF

Old jbacon

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 100
jbacon is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=3733, In=256

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-25-00 , 07:09 PM

jean-

Here is a page that gives you a little info about emeralds.
http://www.gemstone.org/emerald.html

You will want to learn much about the filling techniques for emeralds. Some are more permenate than others. Filling (oiling is one from of filling) is an old treatment and has become accepted in the trade because of its prevalance

Old Kanthi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Kanthi is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-25-00 , 09:41 PM

Love to help you out, but the best I could do is recommend Equatorian Imports out of Dallas.

Don't think proportions are the issue as the cutter should have already made the tradeoff between depth and objectional inclusions to best highlight the inherent color. I would approach it with the "long arm" method and stay away from feathers breaking the table or if unset around where you want to place the prongs and any serious distraction to the eye.

Afraid that my last experience with Emeralds in Jaipur also left me confused trying to buy the Columbian color in my mind from African goods in abundance. African running lighter in tone, less saturated but cleanish.

Iceman, continue if you please and count me in on corrundum and semi - precious (if this phrase is still acceptable)

Kanthi

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-25-00 , 10:47 PM

Kanthi-

Would you please elaborate on the difference between Colombian and African emeralds? I saw many, many emeralds in Colombia, but *most* were not the deep green I associate with very valuable emeralds.

AGBF

Old Kanthi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Kanthi is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-25-00 , 11:41 PM

Can't really do any justice beyond the link provided, but:

African Emeralds that I have cut personally were generally paler incolor and clean to darker and almost translucent. Did this on contract, but understand there is abundant better more / less saturated and brighter goods available.

I owned a large green beyrl (no chromium) that to me was attractive in its own way, so stick with what appeals unless your getting into the price range where a Gueblin Cert. of Origin is necessary.

The Swat region in Pakistan is also noted for better quality which to me resembles the vivid medium dark grass green??? of Columbian.

A further note, is that you will probably find the Columbian stone your after with a reputable dealer in America at a better price than possible at the source. This is often the case as they have the eye for what your expecting and the contacts to wade through the B.S. So often there are things going on in a currency that the best material is simply off the market which is probably what is happening in Burma. hey, isn't this what makes gems a good investment and judging by the stock market ....

Kanthi

Old jean

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
jean is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-28-00 , 06:11 AM

I wish to thank you all for your replies.

Jean.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Imperial Topaz by bear
Up a Topic enhanced clarity stones posted in DIAMONDS by gloucester
Older:
Down a Topic gemstones by naheem
Down a Topic HELP enhanced clarity stones posted in DIAMONDS by gloucester