Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Buglet

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
Buglet is on a distinguished road

Advice needed re: repair
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-16-16 , 06:19 PM

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum for a reeeealy long time, but I'm back with a question!

Back in July 2004, I started a thread about my e-ring, which I had just picked up:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ghlight=wilners

The setting is an A. Jaffe. About three years ago, one side of the lower support shank (I'm not sure if that's the right nomenclature, but I think you'll be able to see what I mean by looking at the old thread) fractured completely, from top to bottom. We weren't living in South Florida any longer, so I took it to a local jeweler in Boston and had it repaired; I was happy with the work they did.

All went well until recently, when the OTHER side of the support shank fractured. I haven't done anything with it yet. And we have moved yet again, to the gulf coast of Mississppi.

I also just recently discovered that A. Jaffe offers a lifetime warranty (which I wish I had realized 3 years ago)...regardless, I'm now very concerned about the integrity of the ring, since that lower shank is the only piece that supports the head (the shoulders are not attached).

I'm looking for opinions about the overall integrity of the ring going forward (as, regardless who fixes it, it will now have a repair on each side), and also whether this seems like a design flaw (i.e. there is just too much stress on that shank). I am somewhat hard on jewelry--which is why I got a 14k setting with platinum head--but certainly nothing that would have caused these fractures.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
This is the first topic
Up a Topic Remembering Mercier posted in General Discussion by rodentman
Older:
Down a Topic New Star Sapphire ring by rodentman
Down a Topic What would you do with this ring posted in General Discussion by kbecks