Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Smarti5051

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Smarti5051 is on a distinguished road

Will Tiffany & Co. set a loose non-Tiffany diamond in a Tiffany setting?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-22-03 , 01:53 PM

I was wondering if anybody has ever attempted to have Tiffany place a non-Tiffany diamond in a Tiffany setting. Will Tiffany do this, assuming the quality of the diamond meets their standards? What is required? Is it generally cheaper to buy the diamond from a reputable online company like DBOF or SC than to buy the diamond directly from Tiffany?

If Tiffany won't do it, would a reputable company like DBOF or SC set their diamond in a Tiffany setting if you provide them with the setting (i.e. buy the setting off ebay), or is there some legal or ethical prohibition to this?

I am looking to spend about $20K on an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and I was hoping to have a nice diamond in a Tiffany setting. My girlfriend is not knowledgable about diamonds at all (at least she feigns ignorance ), but I would like to get her something she will love. I only know she likes the princess cut and wants a very simple setting (no extra diamonds on the sides). I don't think she is very savvy about the cut and clarity issues, but her close friend did just get a D color diamond and made a big fuss about it, so she is somewhat knowledgable that D is the best "non-museum" color to have. I am also confused because there is no "ideal cut" for a princess diamond, so how do you compare them?? Any thoughts on the best diamond given this limited criteria would be most appreciated. I know, there's not much to go on, but that's the problem I am stuck with.

Thank you for reading and for any thoughts you might have.

The above message was filled out via an online form located here

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old LittleMagpie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
LittleMagpie is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-22-03 , 02:56 PM

Tiffany's will NOT set diamonds into their settings. In fact, ostensibly, you can't buy just the Tiffany's settings unless they are used settings that have had the diamonds taken out. I guess it's *possible* that someone could get their hands on just the setting, but I'm pretty suspicious of the ones sold on ebay.

If you buy a setting, your best bet is to send it to wherever you got the diamond from and let them set it. I can't think of any reason why it would be unethical to set a stone in a Tiffany's mounting.

D is the best color for diamonds. There is no better color (lack of color, whatever), museum or otherwise.

Hope some of this helps.
Mag

Edited to add that I am not saying that D is the most attractive color for a diamond--I meant "best" as in rarest and most expensive. I like my G e-ring and my new M pet rock just fine, thankyouverymuch! M

Last edited by LittleMagpie : 04-22-03 at 02:58 PM.
Old RockSteady

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
RockSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-22-03 , 03:12 PM

Hi.

I have been frequenting Tiffany's almost every weekend for a long time now and have become quite friendly with one of the sale's girls there.

I asked her if my fiance and I could purchase a Tiffany quality stone and have it set by them in one of their settings. She told me it couldn't be done, that they must do all steps in order to stamp the ring with their signature, Tiffany & Co. and in some way justify the price tag

I would be wary if I were you purchasing "Tiffany & Co." jewelry from ebay, I've seen fakes that are stamped "T&C" or "Tiffany & Co.". But I know they are fake, because the quality and finishing is not right, it doesn't match what's in the store and as you know Quality is synonymous with Tiffany's.

If she must have a Tiffany's, did you know that they have a pretty good payment plan? It's tied to your credit so you can take the goods before they are paid off Your credit rating determines the percentage you must put down and the duration of the plan (equal payments minus the amount down for up to 2 years).

Good luck!

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16842, In=5945
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-22-03 , 03:31 PM

We have set our diamonds in other mountings that our clients have purchased elsewhere.

On purchasing a used ring, be careful. I could swear I read something today somewhere about tiffany counterfeit rings being sold on e-bay.

Also when purchasing a used setting, it may have some wear on it that might make it not as strong.

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-22-03 , 03:34 PM

Oh yes, here it is:
Feds charge 3 in Tiffany knockoff scheme

NEW YORK (AP) - Tiffany & Co., with the help of the FBI, has cracked down on alleged peddlers of knockoff jewelry.

Acting on complaints from Tiffany, federal agents last week arrested a Staten Island couple, Yaniv Shamir and Renee Vargas, on charges they sold counterfeit sterling silver necklaces, bracelets and rings over the Internet. A Web site claimed the items were ''acquired from liquidations and/or estate sales,'' a criminal complaint said.

In a raid at the couple's home, agents seized 600 pieces of jewelry, some in counterfeit versions of Tiffany's trademark light blue packaging, the complaint said. Some jewelry allegedly was supplied by a Chinatown merchant, Chee-Soon Tai, who also was arrested.

A lawyer for Shamir and Vargas said his clients believed the merchandise was real.

''They were legitimate business owners who had no idea they were doing something wrong,'' said the attorney, Mario Galluicci.

A call to Tai's attorney was not immediately returned.

The three defendants were arraigned on charges of conspiring to infringe on a copyright for personal gain. If convicted, they could each face up to five years in prison.

Jan signature

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-22-03 , 03:59 PM

Here is a couple of simple settings for a princess cut that we carry as well.

Jan

Jan signature

Attached Images
ritani x prong top view.jpg

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-22-03 , 04:01 PM

Here is a simple solitaire.

Jan

Jan signature

Attached Images
princess solitaire top view.jpg

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-22-03 , 04:06 PM

Jan

Jan signature

Attached Images
dt top view.jpg

Old princessmichele

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
princessmichele will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-22-03 , 04:43 PM

hi smarti,

for 20k, you can set your gf up with a fabulous little ring... that said, why would you spend it all on a name? unless she's really pushing for something in the little blue box, why not get the most bang for your buck at another reputable source, without blowing half your budget on marketing? be a smartie pants!! -and let us know what you get. good luckie!

Old debinsandiego

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
debinsandiego is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-22-03 , 04:59 PM

Jan,

Thanks for posting that story. Interesting ....

Old Smarti5051

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-22-03 , 07:25 PM

Thank you so much for the help so far. I am only thinking a Tiffany setting because that is a name that I am sure she will recognize that will also impress her friends. I figured that if I played it smart with the diamond, I could afford to be a little stupid with the setting since it will likely be a small purchase compared to the stone. I was generally thinking of something in the F-G range with a VVS1-VS1 range in clarity. As for cut, I am still confused what to look for when considering a princess cut diamond. I would be really interested if someone could provide a link to that article luluhb was referencing in her post. P.S. Thank you for the search, I had not checked that site before and the diamond you selected looks like it would be great. What is the deal with the medium blue florescence though? Why is this a big deal?

My girlfriend is not used to receiving really nice things growing up (I have tried to change that since I've known her ), so I wanted to give her a ring that will make her the envy of her friends (as if a "will you marry me" from me is not enough ). I thought the Tiffany setting with a really well thought out diamond would be the perfect combo for this goal.

One other question, when buying online, how do you effectively judge "eye appeal" of different diamonds from the same vendor? It seems like it would be cost and time prohibitive to have several diamonds sent to you and returned, but what are the alternatives? If my status of "rookie" were not evident before now, the secret has certainly been revealed by this post.

Thank you all again and any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old Smarti5051

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-22-03 , 07:31 PM

One other thing, thanks for confirming my suspicions LittleMagpie on the "museum quality" issue. I thought D was the best color too, but her friend said that A-C diamonds existed but they were not available for commercial sale. It does seem odd to start a scale with D, so I thought it could be true. Her fiancee' got the ring from a guy at the Los Angeles Jewelry District, so I guess it was just a marketing ploy to puff up the ring. I will not tell my girlfriend though, because it seems to make her friend feel special, so why dash her beliefs.

Old sopapia

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
sopapia is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-22-03 , 08:02 PM

hmm... if you're looking for a tiffany princess setting, they don't really make one. tiffany might have sold princess rings before, but now they only have lucida cut diamonds (which is sort of like princess but not really). the setting that the lucida sits in is called the X prongs and it's the rage right now. and DVatche makes the same setting (i think someone mentioned that he makes settings for Tiffany) if that's what you want. there is a slight difference between the two but not too much. it's the first setting that jan posted. if you want to go for name brand, i would go with dvatche.

Old LittleMagpie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
LittleMagpie is on a distinguished road

A-C Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-22-03 , 08:04 PM

As I recall reading, there USED to be A-C diamonds, but it's an antiquated system for grading, and that's WHY the scale starts with D--to prevent any confusion about old certificates. Maybe one of the experts will weigh in with the full story.

You might think about tactfully mentioning that the "museum quality" thing isn't quite accurate. The more people your girlfriend's friend tells this to, the more embarrassed she'll be when she finds out the truth. If color is important to her, she can still be VERY proud of her D diamond.

Also, if you want a "name brand" setting, Verragio or Tacori are quite recognizable, among others. To go another direction, there's a certain amount of cache that goes with having a custom made setting. You might talk to one of the jewelry designers on DT about that. (Believe me, it feels GREAT to have someone ask where you got something and be able to say, "Oh, it was made just for me. Not another one just like it in the world." I know you're looking for simple, but you could have a uniquely engraved shank, a surprise diamond, or an unusual combination of metals--pink and white gold would be my choice. That way, it could be totally unique but simple, all at the same time. Just a few thoughts.

Mag

Old kimberly

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
kimberly is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-22-03 , 08:25 PM

How very sweet of you to want to give this woman nice things. Do not get caught up in the game of giving her things so she can impress her friends. Friends don't count. Give her what makes you happy and what makes her happy.
If impressing friends is that important, why not just give her a Tiffany Lucida ring? I guarantee you, none of her friends has one. They are few and far between as are men who will actually spend twenty thousand dollars on an engagment ring!

Old princessmichele

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-22-03 , 09:55 PM

smarti, i think a lot of people get really caught up with what they think is the best to buy and don't leave themselves open to other options. the only way to make this purchase (and be smarti about it) is to look at stones and settings until your blue in the face. no one, and i mean NO ONE is going to tell a D from an F or G. i've been to tiff's too many times to even count. no big deal! where do you live? my jeweler (i don't work for him, i'm not related to him-he's just a real honest guy with GREAT stuff) is in northern nj... he got me my dream ring... 5.04 carat EC, VS2 H color... YES i said H! i don't think any of your GFs friends wouldn't envy THAT! again, good luck but i do want to see what you end up with!!!

Old princessmichele

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 04-22-03 , 10:04 PM

forgot to add...
20K at tiff's really isn't going to get you much. a carat, maybe a bit more. and unless you go around telling people (hoping to impress them) that it's from there, a carat doesn't really look 20k worth of impressive. before i get slammed: i'm not saying a carat isn't impressive. i'm saying it's not 20K worth of impressive, okay?

princessmichele signature
"i am what i am and that's all that i am" -popeye, the sailor man
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 04-22-03 , 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smarti5051

One other question, when buying online, how do you effectively judge "eye appeal" of different diamonds from the same vendor? It seems like it would be cost and time prohibitive to have several diamonds sent to you and returned, but what are the alternatives? If my status of "rookie" were not evident before now, the secret has certainly been revealed by this post.

Thank you all again and any further insight would be greatly appreciated. [/B]

On eye appeal, it would help if the vendor is well experienced and actually looks at the diamonds so they can tell you how it looks. This is also why we like to personally inspect each diamond before we would ship it to a client.

Jan signature

Old GrandVizier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
GrandVizier is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-23-03 , 11:26 PM

Just in case you'd consider a ruby, I'm selling the real McCoy here:

Authentic Tiffany Ruby, Diamond PT 3-stone Ring

I think the Duchess of York (a.k.a. Fergie) got a ruby engagement ring.

Congrats, and good luck with your ring.

Grand Vizier

Old sparkin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
sparkin is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 04-26-03 , 08:58 PM

I don't know if this will help, but if you were willing to spend 20K on a Tiffany Lucida cut setting (since they don't sell princess) with I color, VS2 clarity, the lowest that Tiffany sells (which still are stunning diamonds), you can probably get a pretty nice Lucida ring close to 1.4 carat. I know this since my fiance and I purchased the Lucida ring, and I tried on several different carat weight in different clarity. You can certainly get a 1ct stone that is D color VVS clarity if you pay $20K.
I did ask the seller if they set a diamond if we provided the stone...but they were VERY clear that they do not do that, and also since each stone ID number is stamped on the setting.
Princess cuts are very different from Lucida diamond. I personally just fell in love with the Lucida cut, so my fiance and I went and bought it. But I can definitly relate to the gearing to the "Tiffany" ring thingy.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 96
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 04-28-03 , 01:26 PM

Quote:
My girlfriend is not used to receiving really nice things growing up (I have tried to change that since I've known her ), so I wanted to give her a ring that will make her the envy of her friends (as if a "will you marry me" from me is not enough ). I thought the Tiffany setting with a really well thought out diamond would be the perfect combo for this goal.

Bless your heart, Smarti5051. Your girlfriend is so lucky to have you!

Unfortunately, Tiffany does not seem to carry princess-cuts. If they do, it's very rarely. Does she like the Lucida?

Does your girlfriend like radiant-cuts? I notice that Cartier has those, especially for fancy-colored diamonds.

I'm not used to receiving nice gifts either until I met my husband. He presented me with an engagement ring from Tiffany, my first piece of fine jewelry from them; I almost passed out from shock. You can't imagine how special he made me feel. We've been married for over three years, and I still cherish that ring, and appreciate him very much for it.

Also, I would like to add that I didn't brag about my ring. It was unnecessary, as the ring was beautiful. It bragged for itself! I didn't volunteer who the designer was either, unless someone asked specifically. That's just me.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Last edited by empresseva : 04-28-03 at 01:41 PM.
Old pseudon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
pseudon will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-01-03 , 10:51 AM

I think Princess cut diamonds are very popular right now. Where ever I look I see Princess diamonds. Tiffany used to carry them but after they introduced their Lucida, they stopped carrying them, I guess it competes with thier own cut.

Few years ago most popular shapes from Tiffany was the Emerald cut and the Round. Pretty much that's all they advertised.

I know that Tiffany is more expensive them most people because of their name brand. If I had whole bunch of money to burn I would get it from them but there are alot other diamond sellers like BlueNile, etc will get great deals online also really cool designers like Verragio and Tacori to get a nice setting to go with.

Also more you save and the price, the bigger the diamond you can get.

Good Luck!

pseudon signature
I am great believer in luck. The harder I work the luckier I get.
Old xristos

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
xristos is on a distinguished road

Why Tiffany?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-01-03 , 01:20 PM

What is the hype with having a ring with "Tiffany & Co." engraved on it?

Save your money, and go elsewhere. You will be able to buy more with your money.

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-01-03 , 02:52 PM

You know, it occurs to me that the branding issue, as well as colour, cut, clarity, and size all stem from people's uncontrollable need to feel special...by owning something "exclusive". Bragging rights are very important to these people.
The truth is, most of those things matter far less than KEEPING THE STONE CLEAN.
I have been to parties where the snooty-snoots were being all glamourous with their engagement rings, showing off their (quite knowledgable, they seemed) high colour and clarity diamonds.
When I looked, the bloody things were filthy. Hard water and soap, dishwashing scum, hand cream, perfume,and a variety of other corruptive deposits left the diamonds kinda lifeless.
Beauty speaks for itsself. An SI2-J will outperform a VVS1-E if it's owner keeps it clean, while the owner of the VVS1 is a little piggy.
I always stress to my customers that if thery don't clean their diamonds, to visit every couple of months and have me do the full clean service for them, no charge. New owners don't see the gradual change their diamond goes through as it gets worn. They get leyer upon layer of muck plated on, and an ultrasonic cleaning is the only solution.
After a few months of wear, the change to "clean" as jewelers know clean, is shocking to these new jewelry owners, but the grand effect....they fall in love with their diamond all over again.

David

auplatinumman signature
Have you hugged your goldsmith today?
Old xristos

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
xristos is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 05-01-03 , 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by auplatinumman
Bragging rights are very important to these people.

Too funny.. The lengths some will go to impress other people.

I pity the man who is willing to marry a woman who says of her ring: "if it is not at least X big, and not of X brand then I don't want it.."

Last edited by xristos : 05-01-03 at 05:30 PM.
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic What do you all think of DeBeers by synicgrrl
Up a Topic Who makes this set posted in JEWELRY by Penny
Older:
Down a Topic I just got my first diamond and it perfect by jkruer01
Down a Topic I just got my first diamond and it perfect posted in DIAMONDS by jkruer01