Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 74
synicgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-22-03 , 03:23 AM

Hello guys,

Back when I first started looking at emerald cut diamonds on E-bay I saw one seller that offered some nice white sapphires. Since I wanted a "real" diamond for my someday engagement ring I passed on that, but I'd like to have a just for fun ring until that time comes and I was wondering. The fact that a white sapphire is a "real" stone is appealing; for example, if someone enough is rude enough to ask "is it real??" I would just say "yes, it's a real white sapphire."
I think it's a nice alternative.

I imagine in any of the brilliant cuts the difference between a diamond/sim and the white sapphire would be noticeable as the fire/sparkle factor wouldn't really be there. (I do imagine most non-experts might mistake one for a diamond, but we DTers would probably notice the difference).

But it got me to thinking. Since it would be for an emerald cut, where the sparkle factor is most diminished in anyway cut-wise, my guess is it wouldn't be as easy to tell it apart from the same cut diamond counterpart. I also imagine the same would be true for this cut in a sim.

What do you all think? Do any of you have any sims in the emerald cut and find it looks more like a natural diamond compared to any other cut sims and diamonds that you have?

Thank ya!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16776, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-22-03 , 06:50 AM

I haven't seen any simulants in emerald cut that shine like a real diamond yet.

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
luluhb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-22-03 , 10:01 AM

Hi synic....I remember the day when it hit my like a flash of brilliance...why not use a white sapphire??? BUT, I quickly learned that the w.s. is not a diamond replacement. It is cloudy and milky...it DOES not look like a diamond.... Sorry to burst your bubble!!! BUT, I actually just got a three stone cs emerald cut ring that I like very much. 2 friends who knew I was looking for an upgrade thought it was real and examined it until I told them it was fake...they said they would never have guessed!!!! I think with emerald cuts especially, sims are a good alternative...

Old mercier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
mercier will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-22-03 , 10:04 AM

hey synicgrrl,

The Asha does come close (not fully) to replicating an E/C.

The white sapphires that I have seen have all been brilliant cut (pear, oval, round etc) and it was already easy to spot that they were not a diamond from far off. I think this would be even more noticeable in a step cutting.

They are still pretty stones, so do buy one if you are not hoping that it will make people think it is a genuine diamond.

mercier signature

"Lord I give you my Heart, I give you my soul, I live for you alone. Every breath that I take, every moment that I'm awake, Lord have your way in me.

This is my desire, to honour you. Lord with all my heart, I worship you. All I have within me, I give you praise. All that I adore, is in you..."
Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 87
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-22-03 , 11:01 AM

synicgrrl,

I think you're right about the white sapphires...They're just missing that "something special sparkle" that diamonds and even CZs have...

If you want one, I would opt for a cubic zirconia...I've seen some REALLY gorgeous CZ emerald cuts

Good luck!

Old Butterfly71

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
Butterfly71 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=5, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-22-03 , 01:35 PM

I just got a sim emerald cut ring and I love it! It is gorgeous! I say go with a sim!!

Butterfly71 signature
Butterfly71

"Pure love is a willingness to give without a thought of receiving anything in return."
Old debinsandiego

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
debinsandiego is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-22-03 , 01:57 PM

Ditto on the white sapphire ... NO sparkle at all.

I'd suggest either a SIM, or a BLUE sapphire.

If you want a real stone, with a diamond look, I'd acutally check out a BLUE ZIRCON. They come in white, althought I've never seen one in person. I like the blue, the have a blue diamond look, lighter than the sapphire.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=2629773191

Old princessmichele

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
princessmichele will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-22-03 , 04:52 PM

i agree with jan. as the proud owner of a spectacular EC, i've never seen a sim that could replicate the look of a diamond (but maybe i haven't looked that hard?!). a white sapphire will never pass as even a simulant diamond, as it lacks the depth of a diamond; any diamond no matter what the cut. my EC could never be replaced by anything else! good luck.

princessmichele signature
"i am what i am and that's all that i am" -popeye, the sailor man
Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-22-03 , 09:01 PM

Thanks guys.

I will probably end up going with a cz - probably an Interlap at this point in time. I'd be curious to see a larger white sapphire in the flesh sometime though. (have seen small accent stones that looked nice, but never the w.s as the star of the ring)

Deb - very pretty zircon!

synicgrrl signature
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 103
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-23-03 , 03:05 AM

synicgrrl,
If you haven't seen it yet look for princessmichele's ring on a search.
It is as big as a coffee table!
Greeneyedly,
me

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-23-03 , 10:54 PM

Pook,

Yes, I saw her ring. It's nice! It stinks that you have to go so big for the emerald cuts to look like anything. They look so much smaller compared to the same weight other cuts. I remember when I first starting browsing the few they offer in the jewelry stores. I thought the magic one carat would do it for me. Boy, was I wrong. Maybe in another cut, but not this one! And then on top of that we have to go higher in the color and clarity too because it shows more!

Just ain't fair, I tell ya !

synicgrrl signature
Old DiamondLil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
DiamondLil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-26-03 , 07:55 PM

Synic,
How funny that you mention that! I have an emerald cut e-ring.. Last weekend, I was going through my grandmother's jewelry box with her, when I came across an emerald cut white sapphire surrounded by small rubies. I picked it up and commented on it, and she told me that it was her mother's engagement ring.. Guess a fondness for emerald cuts runs in the family. That being said, though, it looks NOTHING like a diamond. As someone else mentioned, it's sort of cloudy and fuzzy looking. Still pretty, but not a diamond substitute.

Old SeattleMom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
SeattleMom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-26-03 , 10:29 PM

Hi,

Haven't you posted a picture of a 1.7 or so sized emerald cut H VS1 diamond solitaire that you said was your future eng. ring? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else! I am just curious as it is a really pretty ring you posted. . . but then you said you had a half a carat in another post, so I am probably getting you and another poster mixed up.

Michelle

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-27-03 , 02:38 AM

SeatleMom,

No, that's me, you're not confused! Thing is, I'm just now going to move in with my boyfriend (and, as you can probably guess, I am pretty sure, my future husband) this summer. We won't get married until at least a couple years (I of course want sooner, and he wants to have everything all lined up after he finishes grad school) and I don't want to wear an engagement ring until I'm truly engaged and that may be another year or two depending on how long we want the engagement to last (I don't really like long engagements, always thought they were silly as in the "Oh, we just got engaged but we're not getting married until 3 or 4 years" category I have heard from college sophmores) I like the idea of getting engaged with a wedding date in mind or at least following relatively shortly thereafter.

Anyway, going off again. Yeah, I basically just want some nice sparkly sims to hold me down til the time comes to wear the real thing. Plus, it's a cheaper way to have jewelry fun.

synicgrrl signature
Old SeattleMom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-27-03 , 10:16 PM

Thanks for filling in the blanks! Wow, I have to admit I'm a bit in awe of you in having the patience to wait on wearing your ring. It is an AMAZING diamond.

Michelle

Old kimberly

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
kimberly is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-27-03 , 10:27 PM

Do you think that if diamonds were free anyone would want to wear and cherish them? Just a thought...

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 89
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3851, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 04-28-03 , 12:32 AM

Wouldn't change all the special optical and physical qualities that have made them what they are over the years. It would still be like a wild animal attracted to a shiny object, IMO.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 04-28-03 , 12:43 AM

SeattleMom,
It's getting better now that I have had it for a little while. When I first got it it was so hard. I was saying to my boyfriend, oh can't we get engaged now??

Kimberly,
Great question. I have thought about that myself. I still think people would admire diamonds for their brilliance and sparkle, but there is definitely something to be said about their "worth" (monetary, symbolic, and/or otherwise) that plays into the reasons why we like them so much.

synicgrrl signature
Old SeattleMom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-28-03 , 01:10 AM

If diamonds were free, they probably would be cherished even more, that is assuming they were beautifully cut. If there wasn't an incentive for a cutter to create a knock out/well proportioned stone from a rough piece, most likely, even fewer well cut stones would be available to us consumers as they would be kept by a select few, so the majority of us without connections would walk around with clunky icky FREE stones! lol. . .

Michelle

Old PrincessChelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
PrincessChelle is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 04-28-03 , 01:43 AM

Synicgirl! You and I are in a similar situation. My boyfriend and I have been dating for a little over 2 years, but he's in grad school. We've talked about marriage but it won't be for at least a year or two. It's *very* hard to be patient, so I sympathize!

Out of curiosity, did he pay for the ring, or did you get it for yourself? I haven't followed the history on your e-ring. I hope you don't mind my asking... just curious. Sometimes I'm tempted to just get my dream ring and hang onto it until the right time!

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 04-28-03 , 11:08 PM

PrincessChelle,

I broke out the savings of my own
I should have waited but I started "browsing" early and soon enough that browsing turned into finding a deal too good to pass up and then buying! I told him he could just pay me for it when the time came but the more I thought about it once we move in together the money is kind of shared anyway. Since I have expensive tastes (well, not really, but nice things are just so expensive!) the band I want may end up costing a good bit of money (I was thinking a bezel round & baguette diamond band - which may or may not need to be custom-made) so he may not pay for the stone at all considering that will be pricey. But I'm not going to worry about the settings right now. I thought I had my mind made up, but the more I see the more I change it again. So we will probably shop for those together when the time comes.

synicgrrl signature
Old PrincessChelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
PrincessChelle is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 04-29-03 , 02:42 AM

Synicgrrl - Thanks for sharing! I really admire that you saw the ring you wanted and went for it. I think the same way - the money is shared once you're married so it really shouldn't matter. I'm considering just buying my own ring if I find the right one since my boyfriend is in grad school right now and probably won't be working for a while. I'm in a much better

And yes, I have kind of expensive taste too...

But sims are *great* to hold me down for a while... if I were to buy my own e-ring I'd stash it away somewhere and try to "forget" about it until the time came.

Old twinx08

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
twinx08 is on a distinguished road

Re: White Sapphire vs. Diamond vs. Sim in an EC
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 06-26-11 , 01:01 AM

I own a 14kt WG WS ring and am asked constantly if it's real- If you look carefully it's evident that the center stone has a tinge of blue, the surrounding stones are completely clear. They are all naturally mined and give a gorgeous sparkle. No inclusions or cloudiness. I have had them checked and they are truly ws of exceptional cut clarity and size.I think I'm switching from diamonds- I have always loved owning the unusual gems. My husband likes me to wear it to weddings and other special occasions- He calls it my Bling Ring!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic First time buyer any opinions on this diamond by fredsmith35
Up a Topic Playing with my camera Color change sapphire posted in Gemstones Photo Gallery by widget
Older:
Down a Topic Asscher cut setting help needed by Traceysob
Down a Topic New member here posted in Greet New Members by MichelleHughes