Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old bethann

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
bethann is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-14-03 , 07:59 PM

today I was in a local jewelry store picking up my earrings (screw on post put on). A policeman was on a telephone telling someone about "this diamond". He sounded pissed. He mentioned " I color, SI1" Just by natural instinct, I said to the man helping me, "Oooh, I would never buy that." Just then a woman behind me said it was her ring!!! She then asked me what I thought was good. I replied, "Well, for me it would depend on what the stone was in." She went over to the policeman and starting talking to him, her hubby I assumed. The clerk that was waiting on me said don't worry, she has already bought the stone. I felt awful!! He tried to make me feel better - but I'm sure he could have slapped me silly!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: My game-face
Visit my blog :

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 149
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-14-03 , 08:13 PM

Why would you "never buy that"? You knew nothing else about the stone?

yogimel signature
1. NO MARVELING AT NATURE
2. NO UNSUPERVISED READING

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-14-03 , 08:28 PM

I agree I have no idea why you said that. "I" is well within near colorless and a lot of SI1s are 100% eyeclean.

I don't get it.

Old song

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
song is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-14-03 , 08:37 PM

I have a lovely stone SI1 G/H colour. It is eye clean, sparkles like crazy and finding any inclusions with my 10x loupe is, at best, difficult. I couldn't be happier.

A friend of mine has a SI2 D colour and the clarity isn't an issue because it's a very well cut stone.

I think each stone has to be judged on the basis of it's appearance. There are some lovely I coloured SI1 stones out there.

Old kelloggs99

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
kelloggs99 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-14-03 , 08:48 PM

I have to agree. Many SI stones are lovely. I'm sure you didn't mean to upset anyone; you just forgot to put on your "jewelry censor button"! I personally would not buy a diamond with a clarity of I, but I have even heard of I1's being eye clean unless closely inspected. So, who knows!

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 203
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-14-03 , 09:47 PM

I have ALMOST put my one remaining foot in my mouth several times at my friendly, local jewelery store where I get many of my watches. I reefered to Rolex as a "second tier" company when discussing Jaegers and Pateks with the salesmen. Fortunately the customers looking at the Rolexes didn't hear me.

I also showed the diamond salespeople my I.S. and what the EightStar reveals through it. Some of the customers looking at the store's diamonds perked up their ears so I made a hasty retreat.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old oldsalt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
oldsalt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-14-03 , 10:01 PM

Since you didn't mean any harm, I wouldn't slash my wrists if I were you.

At times, I have been present when a complete stranger asked me what I thought of a diamond that they were considering, and I always tell them what I believed; whether it was a good buy, a poor stone, or f it was overpriced.

When my fiancee was picking out the semi mount for her stone, she asked several ladies which one they preferred.

They all liked one other than I had selected. Naturally that's the one we bought.

I wasn't upset in the least.

oldsalt signature
God bless and protect America and our brave servicemen and women
Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
synicgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-14-03 , 10:49 PM

I find nothing wrong with an I color SI1 clarity. You're buying the diamond for how it looks, not how the high the numbers are.

Some people with really sensitive eyes might find an I too low on the color scale, but other than that I don't see why you would be against it.

synicgrrl signature
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 203
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-15-03 , 09:35 AM

The issue here isn't whether someone would or would not buy an I, SI1 diamond or a Rolex watch. It's how people react when presented with various opinions in an emotional purchase situation.

I have chirped up in the watch shop (where they have the dubious pleasure of knowing me quite well) when wearing a watch brand that someone else was constipating, saying "I like mine..." and showing it to them. I do not intervene if I cannot make a positive contribution. If someone wants to buy one of that store's grossly overpriced and underperforming diamonds, I mind my own business. Sure I'd love to whip out the I.S. and "help" them, but that's not appropriate, IMHO.

It WAS fun, however, to watch the sales staff check their diamonds (both store stock and on their hands) with the I.S. A few jaws dropped!

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old bethann

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
bethann is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-15-03 , 11:06 AM

Everyone has their limits. I personally would not want a large carat engagement ring I color. SI1, I could live with, if the stone looked great. I simply blurted out my personal reaction. And I should not have. The ring was already purchsed and I was not asked for an opinion. This was a small store where I feel comfortable and know the owners, so I guess my guard was down. We were all discussing jewelry and diamonds when this happened. I will be more careful in the future, but I still stand by my personal ideals.

Old gracie

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 104
gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute

Remember what our mommas said?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-15-03 , 11:42 AM

If you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all!

While Im sure, Bethann, that you didn't mean to hurt this woman's feelings, Im sure your comments have tainted this purchase somewhat. An I-colored stone is still in the near colorless category and a good SI1 can be a perfectly eye clean stone! Without seeing its cut and all the other factors which contribute to the beauty (or lack thereof) of this particular stone, I felt that comment sounded very snobbish.

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 92
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3963, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-15-03 , 11:45 AM

Awww, heck, we've all said or done something like that - the comment or action we mull over for a few hours or days thinking 'if only I had...' S'ok. There's nothing wrong with making a quiet comment to your own salesperson about other stones, but I'm sure you learned the lesson about just HOW QUIET those comments need to be. Take the lesson and move on.

(and for the record, bethann, I'm with you - SI-1 would be ok, like you said, if it looked great, but I personally would never get the I color either...I LOVE the crispness of the D-E-F's )

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old warmuster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
warmuster is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-15-03 , 12:10 PM

It was probably meant as harmless but we all needto be careful of what we say about others jewlery, not many people are educated about what to buy and many just want something beautiful. Many diamonds wit h the above specs are beautiful and many women are proud to wear them.Not everone has the money or even desire to have a stone with certain specs. I have had someone tell me to my face (coworker) they like my stone but want a colorless one but then I laughed when she said to get one she has to use her home downpayment money. To each his own Iam sure ou meant no harm its hard when you love pretty things but we have to be careful. I just usually say its nice and if its hideuous i keep mouth shut

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-15-03 , 05:05 PM

Well, the harm you may have done depends on what effect you had on the people who heard your remark.

If the couple knew exactly what they were buying and why, then you probably did no harm. If they didn't and took your disparaging remark at face value, it could have caused untold damage.

I have a 2ct I, SI2 and it's an old cut stone too. Disaster, I hear you think. Not at all. It's a beautiful stone. Just because you wouldn't agree with me, doesn't affect my appreciation of my diamond because I know what I've got and I'm confident in my choice. Sadly, not everyone is in that happy position.

So my advice is 'Keep you thoughts to yourself, unless they're complimentary'

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Last edited by Bagpuss : 04-15-03 at 05:10 PM.
Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 97
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-15-03 , 11:02 PM

To each their own. Everybody has different preferences.

Personally, I like diamonds in the H-I range. To me, these stones are beautiful.

Design-wise and craftsmanship, I like Tiffany and Cartier. These are the only pieces I wear. Does this make me a snob? Maybe.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Last edited by empresseva : 04-15-03 at 11:03 PM.
Old SweetPeas

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
SweetPeas is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=322, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-16-03 , 12:19 AM

Don't beat yourself up about it. It's not like you knew the owners of the stone were standing there. THAT would have been an ugly thing to do.

What really bugs me is when jewelers make those sorts of comments to me about my stones (that I didn't buy from them, of course). When I was looking for a new mounting, I took my diamonds to several local jewelers and got a wide variety of treatment. One even had the nerve to say that my center stone (I1 light golden champagne pear 2.06 ct.) "Sure ain't very good quality." I know that I have lesser quality stones, but they make me happy and they look pretty darn impressive to 99.9% of the people who see them.

Christine

Old IssaArmstrong

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
IssaArmstrong is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 04-16-03 , 07:24 AM

OOOOPS! Yikes! But what can you do, you realized your faux pas...and honestly you didn't see the diamond and it may have been lovely. I wouldn't worry about the couple...if it is the right piece for them, they will take your comment with a grain of salt and be happy with their purchase. If not, I'm hoping the store has an upgrade policy? The fact you are a well-known customer may not have been the only reason the storeowner wasn't upset...he probably encourages an upgrade.

I wonder why the guy on the phone sounded angry? Or maybe he was an annoying loud-cellphone-talker?

Old hammy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
hammy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 04-16-03 , 09:23 PM

I don't see anything wrong with your stating your preference of diamonds. Especially to the salesperson, then he would never show you any I SI1 diamonds!

It's not a big difference than if I say that I would never wear Versace or eat black licorice. It's nothing bad or good it's just not my taste.

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 106
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-17-03 , 04:56 PM

Oh, well-
done is done and now you have been slapped silly by everyone here on DT.
I like the comment oabout the upgrade policy.
Onward, ever upward!

edited for more slapping JOKE!

Last edited by Pookarina : 04-17-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 04-20-03 , 08:22 PM

I just re-read my first post and I do sound a bit preachy Sorry.

We've all done it. Opened our mouth and then put our foot in it. I know I have. Too often. Never mind - life's too short to beat ourselves up over every little mistake we make. If we were perfect, we wouldn't be human, we'd be angels.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 04-20-03 , 10:04 PM

empresseva, nothing wrong with being a snob. I know I am.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 97
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 04-21-03 , 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Raech
empresseva, nothing wrong with being a snob. I know I am.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic AAny help would be greatly appreciated by lala
Up a Topic Everybody Loves Raymond Weil posted in Watches Photo Gallery by rodentman
Older:
Down a Topic No asschers in my area to try on help by Raech
Down a Topic I found a magazine with new designers posted in JEWELRY by Pookarina