Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 92
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3963, In=85
Referrals: 1

Favorite Nail Polish/Nail Care Tips
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-08-03 , 01:08 PM

I was asking Butterfly a polish question in another thread and between that and the perfume survey, I was inspired.

What are your favorite nail polishes, brands and colors, and also your best nail care tips? I know we have talked about 'store bought' nails before, but I have the 'home grown' variety, though I suppose for favorite polishes, it doesn't really matter.

One of my best tips: 100% pure acetone. Availiable at Sally's, and even Walmart and other places like that. Makes removal SO easy. I frequently wear a French manicure, and it is much easier to put the white all over the top half of the nail and then create the arch with acetone and a paint brush.

My favorite red (red is the only color I wear) is by Orly, called 'Crawford's Wine'. It's similar to OPI 'I'm not really a waitress' - metalic red (you that Ferarri red color that glows as you... ). I also ADORE 'Firecracker' by Revlon, a gorgeous cherry red with metalic glitter. It needs a couple good top coats though since the glitter goes on a bit rough.

I have trouble keeping polish on around the tips of my nails - my nail beds are really curved, so the corners begin to turn under easily. I've recently purchased a base coat that is supposed to help polish adhere. The verdict is still out on that one. So far, it seems like my tips chip less, but if they do chip, the chip is bigger than without the base coat.

The only other thing I can think of right now is the hydrogen peroxide bath...if nails start to yellow, give a peroxide bath and a little scrub with a nail brush to whiten them up. I've heard bleach works too, but I can't imagine that's too nice on your skin.

Favorite colors/brands? Any other good tips?

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old KITTYKITTY

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
KITTYKITTY is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1, In=5

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-08-03 , 02:14 PM

I have home grown nails that seem to grow like weeds.I trim my nails at least once a month.The things I do to keep them healthy is hand massages for good circulation and it promotes nail growth as well.To keep them white I give them a 5 minute soak in white vinegar once a week.When using a dark polish I always use 2 coats of infinite shine,base and topcoat then 2 coats of polish followed by 2 more coats of infinite shine,base and topcoat an apply it on the underside of nail ,not the colored polish only the base and topcoat.I like too many different nail colors to name them all but prefer darker shades in fall and winter like Hot Pursuit Pink by Revlon and O.P.I. Red Hot Holiday,lighter shades in spring and summer Maybellines Wet Shine Diamonds,Sparkling Flame and Fairy Pink ,these sparkle like diamonds on the nails.Many friends that have problem nails have found Nutra Nail Aloe Conditioner and Nutra Nail Maximim 10 Strengthener very helpful in inproving their nails.Nails should be allowed to breath once in a while so I take care to go without any polishes at least 2 days a week.I know many people have artifical nails and any nail tech will tell you it's fine as that's how they make their living but many doctors will steer you clear of them for many valid reasons.Here's wishing you healthy nails ahead.KK

Last edited by KITTYKITTY : 04-08-03 at 02:16 PM.
Old kbank

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
kbank is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=38, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-08-03 , 05:20 PM

My favorite everyday nail polish is Essie "Ballet Slippers". It is a sheer pink-white. I always get numerous compliments on it. It looks very clean and classy. Nar's "Edelweiss" is a sheer white that I also wear a lot. It doesn't have that Liquid Paper, just a pretty wash of sheer color.

For the holidays I like OPI's "NYPD Beet", it is a dark maroon color and looks great on pale skin, or OPI's "I'm Not Really a Waitress", it is like wearing ruby slippers on your fingers.

One tip is to always keep cuticle oil on your nails. OPI makes a great one!

kbank signature
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
-Sheryl Crow
Old Shopsalott

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 2

My Karma
Power: 77
Shopsalott is on a distinguished road

Love Solar Manicure
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-08-03 , 09:22 PM

I got a sample of this at Christmas in my stocking and LOVE IT!! Great for dry cuticles, fingers and hands. I'm not much of a nail junkie, but this stuff is the best! And although it has an oil base, after you rinse your hands, they are SO soft, and not at all oily. Plus it smells great! Very tropical, must be the joboba. You can find it at Trade Secret or online I'm sure.

Shopsalott signature
Old elizabeth17

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 71
elizabeth17 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-08-03 , 09:40 PM

hi, I just wanted to add my nail care expertise
I usually use a nail fortifying basecoat, such as nailtique or nailtech first, then two coats of whatever polish I feel like wearing, then I top it off with a coat of Seche Vite, which I find to be somewhat expensive, but it's the only thing that makes my nails shine. Plus, my nails are usually dry within twenty minutes.
As far as colors, I prefer Essie or Forsythe brands. My all time favorite is Baby's Breath by Essie. I also love French pink shimmer by Forsythe. For reds, I love Nars Chinatown, which is like a deep deep burgundy red, or Chanel Noir Rouge, which is very similar, but even darker.
I think if given a choice, a nice french manicure always does the trick. It is elegant, clean and simple. Plus, it looks great on the toes, too.

elizabeth17 signature
There's always going to be someone who has something bigger or better or nicer than yours, you just have to be happy with what you have, and pray you hit the lotto.
Old Jaxie

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 82
Jaxie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-08-03 , 09:41 PM

My favorite brand is OPI
I like their I'm Not Really a Waitress
They have nice reds and nuetrals, I can't think of the names right now!

Jaxie signature
I AM MARRIED :O !!!
Old marsmannix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
marsmannix is on a distinguished road

disappointed consumer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-09-03 , 11:24 AM

well, i have been using the ProStrong for almost a year now, and my nails are still atrocious. they crack off, are brittle, and peel.
waaah.
so much for that product. it might work for others, it hasn't worked for me. and i'm still not willing to spring for acrylics all the time after i added up that it costs about $300 a year to maintain.

mars

marsmannix signature
"Having a Boo Radley moment, are we?"
Old debinsandiego

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
debinsandiego is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-09-03 , 11:37 AM

I'm with MARS on the PROSTRONG products. I don't think they did much for me. I did not have a year's worth of paitence though... I was OVER IT in about three months. They do have a nice cuticle cream though, and their hand cream is quite nice.

I'm now trying gel nails. My natural nails are just so very, very thin. If I am to grow them out, I need some sort of "enhancement".

Old jewelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
jewelle is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-09-03 , 11:43 AM

French manicure here as well.....always!!Toes and fingernails. Like said above.....elegant, clean and simple.

Sometimes I'll use a "white-white" (currently Essie's "Blanc") for the tip and sometimes I'll use a more opaque white (Essie's Marshmallow) for the tip for a softer look.
But, I almost always use Sally Hansen's "Lavender Lace Sheer" (it doesn't look Lavender, btw,lol) over that. I love it and have been using it for years now.....get TONS of compliments on my nails with this. Actually, my nails are real, but I think because of the polish, etc, alot of people think they are not.

jewelle

Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 89
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-09-03 , 12:40 PM

This is a very appropriate time for this thread concerning my nails

I yanked off my acrylics 2 weeks ago- and my nails are an ABSOLUTE MESS!!!!

I put a few coats of ridge filler on, and painted them red anyway!

I love OPI Chick FLick Cherry...It's my all-time favorite.

I'm so active outside with my hands, though I can't keep the stuff on for more than a day or so without it chipping off. This is why I got the acrylics- the polish just doesn't come off.

I also got tired of paying 20.00 a fill-in and wasting a lunch time getting my nails done too!

Old marsmannix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

more fakes
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-09-03 , 12:55 PM

i found a brand of glue ons called "Broadway" (apropos, huh?) and they make a french nail. you glue it on with pink glue. they are $6 for box. i tried them, and have decided that that's what i'll use from now on when i want nice "occasion" nails. they look absolutely as good as the acrylics, and cheaper. they didn't do near the damage to my nails--i just soaked fingers in acetone polish remover, and they lifted right off. they even have some...uh..."home-girl" type of designs for those times you want to be a little trashy.

mars, the makeup addict

marsmannix signature
Old marsmannix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

too old for red?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-09-03 , 12:58 PM

ok. what do you all think about this? i'm 47 and i feel self-conscious wearing those lovely rich reds. when i see an older woman wearing intense red polish, i think two things: wow she takes care of herself, and "barfly". (i know i'm weird)

how old is too old for red nail polish?

mars

marsmannix signature
Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 89
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-09-03 , 01:08 PM

Mars,

I don't think you're EVER too old for red

During my stint as a Flight Attendant, we were always told "Red Lips and Red Tips"

I think the person wearing the nail color says a lot more than the nail color itself- know what I mean?

If you're 80 years old with bright red nails, and very classy, clothes hair etc- I think it would look great! Like you care about yourself.

Old Momof2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
Momof2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-09-03 , 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Horizon

If you're 80 years old with bright red nails, and very classy, clothes hair etc- I think it would look great! Like you care about yourself.

I agree. I aspire to old, wrinkled hands with perfect red nails and big sparklers!

That may be because I'm resigned to ragged pealing nails on my middle aged hands. When I was working, I loved getting my nails done and doing all the maintenance. Now, it's completely fallen off the list. Dishes, diapers and dirt! Maybe when Ava is in preschool and out of the diapers I can give my hands the respect they used to deserve!

But when I did take the time, my favorite method was silks. With a little reinforcement, my nails will grow and maintain a nice shape. And the nail bed was fine underneath if they did come off for some reason. No recovery time like you need with the acrylics. I liked the acrylic nails, but that really has to be a long term commitment and you are so dependent on the care and knowledge of a good nail tech.

Old CarmenTN

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CarmenTN is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-09-03 , 06:22 PM

Ha! this is too funny, I also have firecracker, I love the sparkles, good for the 4th of July.

Right now I love OPI Apricotcha cheating, it's a light coral, very springy! However, I'm a fuschia/pink girl in the summer, maybelline has the best pinks.

I like to mix sugar and my favorite cream soap or lotion and scrub my hands, they feel so good afterward, one of my girlfriends who used to do nails taught me that trick.

Last edited by CarmenTN : 04-09-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old DiamondLil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
DiamondLil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-09-03 , 06:28 PM

That's funny about feeling too old for red nail polish! I always feel too young for it! (I'm 23) My mom always told me that young women do NOT wear red-red lipstick, and I carried it over into nail polish.. I do like to wear it on my toes, though.. So red nail polish IS acceptable for women my age?

Old kbank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
kbank is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=38, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 04-09-03 , 08:15 PM

Carmen-
That is a great tip! I've also heard of mixing sugar with vitamin E oil, or some other type of skin-softening oil. It does make your hands baby soft.

Diamondlil-
I'm in my mid twenties and I wear red nail polish during the Christmas holidays, and V-day, but I don't wear it any other time. To me it looks very dressy and sophisticated (not OLD by any means), so I usually just save it for occassions that I want to look sophisticated.

kbank signature
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
-Sheryl Crow
Old Atlantamom3

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Atlantamom3 is on a distinguished road

Hey Debinsandiego
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 04-28-03 , 08:58 AM

Curious,

did you ever start on the gel nels? My nails will grow but usually crack and peel if I try to get them quarter inch past the fingertip.

How do you like them?

Old winyan

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
winyan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

I have horrible natural nails as well
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-28-03 , 10:52 AM

like baby's nails, they crack split and peel. So I've resorted to acrylics, for the past 2 years. I started with 'pink and whites' (french manicure without the fuss) and now just have regular old acrylics that are currently painted apricot, since most of my spring clothing line is in tans and peaches and apricot.

I needed to start doing them when I was going on job interviews, and now I just keep on. I don't have them too long (I spend too much time typing on 'puters for long nails), but neat and nice.

win

Old Lanee

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
Lanee is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 04-28-03 , 12:10 PM

Mars, (and anyone who will listen)

I use OPI's Nail Envy. I have natural nails and last year I had a problem with two of them chipping on the side. For about six months I had short nails (if one goes, I cut them all---I hate uneven nails). I got a sample of nail envy and started using it in my routine and they were fine. However, I tell everyone this----the secret to nails is keeping them polished. I use a basecoat, two to three coats of color and a top coat. I always use color, even if it's semi sheer (nothing is sheer after two to three coats). I find you pick at your nails more when you can see through them and they break more. Nailpolish acts as a shield or support. Now, I do wash my hands a lot so I think that is vital. My polish lasts me about five great days and then starts to look worn. I remove it on the fifth day and paint a couple of days later to give my nails some air. I try not to pick on my nails those bare days and just check everything out and clean my suticles and nails up before polishng them. People always ask me who does my nails and they seem surprised when I reply "I do" and then ask if they are real." I (with the exception of those six months last year) always have to cut my nails, they don't break and they are not hard nails.

I happen to love OPI and Nicole, I have some Essie but unless I'm wearing french, I do color.

Last edited by Lanee : 04-28-03 at 12:10 PM.
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 92
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3963, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 04-28-03 , 12:25 PM

I branched out the other day...I bought a pink polish from the Maybelline line 'Wet Shine Diamonds'. Mine is 'Rhinestone Pink' (they have really cute names), medium light pink with sparklies. I was inspired to buy it - one because it is 'diamonds' and two because it is pink (I have an obsession with the color pink, as previously mentioned, because it is an Aerosmith thing ). So far, so good. It's a big deal because for about 15 years, all I've worn is french manicure or reds. My toes are even polished pink.

I also bought one of those pink metallics, but I don't remember the line it came from just now. I THINK it was L'oreal. I have to go home and look, because I was ASTOUNDED how well it went on. ONE coat, and the color was more than sufficient, and looked great. I can only imagine how good it will look with a top coat too!

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old Champagne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Champagne is on a distinguished road

I love nailpolish!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-02-03 , 09:25 AM

Depends on length and whether for manicure or pedicure.
Used to buy drugstore brands but switched to OPI for the NAMES... heh.

Short, manicure:
(nudes)- OPI Queen of the Nile, Nomad's Dream, Samoan Sand

Pedicure OR Long, manicure:
(lights)- OPI Nutcracker Sweet, Chicago Champagne Toast, Shanghai Shimmer,
(strong)- Soho Nice to Meet You, I'm Not Really A Waitress, Changing of the Garnet, Vampire State Building.

Old winyan

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
winyan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

I had an Opi called...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-02-03 , 09:43 AM

Naples syrup put on last week, it's an odd shade of apricot, but very cool with spring colors of peach and beige.

win

Old mariepie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
mariepie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-11-03 , 08:09 PM

YES! Seche Vite is probably THE BEST top coat I have used. A friend of mine can get us into a beauty supply store for salons...I get the stuff for $4, how much is it retail???

Love OPI sweetheart, pinking of you (for toes), just about every essie pink out there.

Old Amethyste

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
Amethyste is on a distinguished road

I am a full time nail technician....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 05-12-03 , 12:10 PM

If you have any questions about nail care, polish or whatever,
drop me a like. I do acrylics, natural mainures, pedicures etc for 40 hours a week and I make a decent living at it too.
So please ask away

I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!

Amethyste signature
-=Amethyste -
Apres la Pluie, le Soleil!
Read Messages in: Gowns & Fashion All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic my wedding gown by hbunny
Up a Topic Chrome diopside posted in GEMSTONES by diamond4her
Older:
Down a Topic How to Lose a Guy in 10 days dress by marriahlyn
Down a Topic Gorgeous Tanzanite Pendant Necklace posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by gg987