Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old empresseva

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 94
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Would You Really Want a Big Rock?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-31-03 , 03:49 AM

Hi DT,

If you had an opportunity to purchase a big diamond ring (+2 carats), would you actually do it?

I've been thinking about upgrading lately. As some of you may know, my solitaire is one-carat. I was considering upgrading to at least 2 carats. However, after some consideration, I don't think I would upgrade at all. Already right now, my ring draws a lot of attention. I've worn my ring for three years now, and almost every week someone notices my ring. At my new workplace, every one of my co-workers (including my boss) complimented my ring. Just yesterday, a shy friend of mine finally worked up the courage to ask to see my ring up close. Of course, I obliged, and took off my ring for her inspection.

Although I love my ring, the regular attention makes me uncomfortable.

If I sported a +2 carat rock, I imagine the increased attention would be unbearable.

Some of you ladies wear +2 carat solitaires. How did you handle the attention? Do you get used to it after a while?

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Last edited by empresseva : 03-31-03 at 03:51 AM.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 167
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-31-03 , 04:46 AM

My diamond is ~2 carats and not many people have commented on it. I think it's because I have huge hands with long, slender fingers. The diamond looks big, but because my hands are big, the ring doesn't stand out as 'huge.' I think 2 carats is a nice size that doesn't scream out "gigantic rock.'

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 74
synicgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-31-03 , 04:51 AM

I think if you have average-sized hands and fingers 2ct will look large, and noticeable, though still not gaudy. I would expect people would comment on it a good bit more than a 1ct.

Empress I have seen pictures of your ring in the DTs E-rings thread and I think it looks lovely as is. Combined with the unique setting and the amount of sparkle I think its already more noticeable than most rings in its size. Just my two cents.

synicgrrl signature
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Old mercier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
mercier will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-31-03 , 05:33 AM

Hi Eva,

I think that generally we Chinese don't like to be too showy- hence the preference for more discreet, tasteful jewelry.

Although that doesn't apply here in Singapore where bigger is almost always better!

My guess would be that people always notice your set because of it's outstanding design and obvious quality, more than for the size of the diamond.

If changing the center stone to a 2 carat would be what made you happy, and it looked good on your finger (which is most important)!! then you should go for it, and really you will find that you settle down to enjoy the diamond much faster than you can imagine.... perhaps even start dreaming of a 3 carat in the not too distant future............

I started off on a 0.42 carat.. up to 1 carat, then 1.67, then upward to 2.69 carats, then 4 carats, 5.03 carats, and the latest was 5.28 carats!

I can assure you I had no problem with adjusting but that may be just me....

hahaha! are you considering upgrading your original e-ring or buying another solitaire? You could consider a fancy shape!!

mercier signature

"Lord I give you my Heart, I give you my soul, I live for you alone. Every breath that I take, every moment that I'm awake, Lord have your way in me.

This is my desire, to honour you. Lord with all my heart, I worship you. All I have within me, I give you praise. All that I adore, is in you..."
Old mercier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-31-03 , 05:38 AM

A good reference was that for years until she was about 48 my mother wore a 1 carat EC solitaire in a really old fashioned ring everyday......

her 'special ring' was a 2 carat RB in another hideous setting

now, she's 52..... and she's comfortable wearing something like this(pictures used from the other thread):

center 3.50 carat
sides, 1.25 carat each

tcwt 6 carat plus several small channel set side stones

mercier signature

"Lord I give you my Heart, I give you my soul, I live for you alone. Every breath that I take, every moment that I'm awake, Lord have your way in me.

This is my desire, to honour you. Lord with all my heart, I worship you. All I have within me, I give you praise. All that I adore, is in you..."
Attached Images
ashaonhand2.jpg

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-31-03 , 05:48 AM

Mercier -

You obviously have a lot of money to be buying it on such large diamonds, with such frequent upgrades.

At one point do you think a diamond would be too big to wear?

synicgrrl signature
Old mercier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-31-03 , 06:55 AM

hi synicgrrl,

while i am thankful that God has blessed my family such that we are financially comfortable, i do usually trade in my stones (customers buy them) for the larger ones unless they are re-set for my mother.

I also don't go for any particularly high quality such as colours above 'G' in general or above VS2 in clarity (there are some exceptions though)

I prefer the diamond size above all things. I have recently purchased a 12 carat RB which looks really good for me...even though i have a very large ring size (Hong Kong size 30) but this is not intended for me..... perhaps this will be my limit on size upgrade?

I can't really say for certain, as I had thought that the 5.28 was going to be the biggest I ever wanted

mercier signature

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-31-03 , 07:04 AM

Mercier -

Wow! I just looked at your stats and you are only one year older than me! You must be one of the few youngest anywhere with such a big rock. I am not yet engaged (am getting a place with my boyfriend this fall) but I recently bought a 1.7ct emerald-cut that will be my engagement ring when the time comes. I could only afford this size because I got a great deal and the seller needed to sell it for personal reasons. Otherwise I would have been in maybe at least the 1ct range because emerald cuts appear smaller.

I may have misunderstood you... did you say you only buy stones above G color and VS2 clarity or you don't mind stones lower than those numbers? What shapes do you have?

I would love to work in a jewelry store. I applied to one nearby on a whim and it seemed to go really well, but alas no "jewelry experience" so I think that's why I didn't it. I'm pretty sure I know more about diamonds than your mall jewelers anyway. :P

synicgrrl signature
Old mercier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-31-03 , 07:12 AM

one of my closest friends(my age) has a 27.72 carat F, Internally Flawless Heart shape

Bought direct from De Beers....... but that's another story for another day

I must say that working in the jewelry trade has given me the privilege of owning, and trying out many beautiful stones.

This is NOT intended to boast (as not all these stones are mine)

but i've worn:

0.42 Lazare Round brilliant F VS2
0.65 Oval cut
0.90 Round brilliant
1.00 Princess Cut
1.05 Emerald Cut
1.12 Round brilliant
1.52 Round brilliant
1.67 Round brilliant
2.03 Round brilliant
2.20 Emerald cut (this was such a favourite)
2.69 Round brilliant (M colour, SI2, and still my favourite rock)
3.50 Round brilliant (Hearts and Arrows, F IF)
5.02 Princess cut
5.28 Round brilliant

i know my favourites were still the emerald cut (the lose yourself in it effect ) and the Round..always the round

mercier signature

Old mercier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-31-03 , 07:15 AM

I also did try a fancy yellow radiant 1.67 for a while... but i don't think that's ME the square/emerald cuts are better for man's rings though!

synic, i saw your e-ring in another thread. it is *gorgeous*, congratulations!

i like the simplicity of the solitaire setting very much!

mercier signature

Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-31-03 , 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mercier

one of my closest friends(my age) has a 27.72 carat F, Internally Flawless Heart shape

Bought direct from De Beers....... but that's another story for another day

i know my favourites were still the emerald cut (the lose yourself in it effect ) and the Round..always the round

:O Holy~! I can't even imagine a diamond that large! And from de beers no less, that must have been a fortune.

I have heard in Hong Kong that diamonds are cheaper. Is this true? My mom always said if you wanna buy a big diamond go to Hong Kong. I have always loved travel...

Old Momof2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
Momof2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-31-03 , 10:18 AM

Eva,
You have so loved your ring as it is, and received so many compliments, I'd hate to see you change it. I hope you consider something else for your other hand.

Re: 2 carats...look at your lifestyle. Would you wear it daily? If not daily, how often? Personally, although my large hands could carry 2 carats, I don't think my lifestyle would be conducive to wear that kind of jewelry. And I really want something I can wear comfortably every day, as I do my current ring. Choose based on your own lifestyle dear.

One more thought: as diamonds get larger, I do think the fancy shapes become more appealing, more visually interesting.

Old indiraxyz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
indiraxyz is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-31-03 , 10:47 AM

EmpressEva: I love the design of your ring...its very unusual and eyecatching.

As for size...my ring is just under 3 carats (2.77 in central pear and 0.2 2 side needle baguettes). I wear this ring every day and enjoy looking at it! I do get attention but probably no more so than you do on your ring...probably becuase the ring is different to norm rather than size.

As for the size, I agree with Mercier...I started off looking at e-rings of 2 carats, then 2.5 and bought 2.77...whilst I am very happy with this...I realise that even a ring up to 5 carats would look nice on my hands (I have long fingers) though I did try on 12 carats this Sat and it looked awful! (I was with a wealthy friend who was buying the said ring...its not in my price budget!).

Do post up ring ideas that you are considering for you!

Old dd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
dd is on a distinguished road

EE,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-31-03 , 10:51 AM

I too really like your ring. If I were in your position, I'd consider a nice ring for the other hand and leave the current wedding set as-is.

Have fun considering the possibilities!

dd

Old julieks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
julieks is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-31-03 , 11:19 AM

I thought I wanted 3 cts, but decided to stay with 2 cts because of the attention factor. A lot of people here wear bigger diamonds, but a lot don't. Sometimes I felt a little embarassed when people would grab my hand and gawk at my ring (a pro football player's wife even did this to me!) I decided that maybe 3 cts was too much for *me*. BTW, I wear a size 4 ring and have small hands.

julieks signature
- julie
Old LittleMagpie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
LittleMagpie is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 03-31-03 , 12:13 PM

In a word, yes. I would like a big rock. But only because I have an asscher, and it disappoints me that my friends don't recognize it as a unique cut. Every last one of them has thought it was a princess. Okay, it's 1.17cts, and it faces up like ~.90ct round, I think, but for heaven's sake, it should STILL be obvious that it's not a princess! Every time I go into a jewelry store, though, I get big complements which soothes my ego.

I could very happily field lots of attention regarding my ring. I got my first one while I was still in college, and I got tons of complements and attention for it, although I never thought it was THAT unusual--1ct pear with sapphire baguettes. I was also the first girl in my crowd to get engaged, so that was probably a factor.

If more attention is going to bother you, I'd stay away from a bigger stone. I agree with dd that a large right-hand ring might be a better choice. That way, you could wear it if you felt up to the gawking or not if you preferred a low profile for the day.

Mag

LittleMagpie signature
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
Old JustMe

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
JustMe is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 03-31-03 , 12:36 PM

I've worn my 2.09 ct rb for a year now and I love the size. It feels just right EXCEPT when I see it in a mirror or in a photograph...then it looks HUGE (the way it did when I first got it)!

I do get compliments all the time but I think that is also because I clean it every morning before I leave the house so its always sparkling.

I say go ahead-get the upgrade!

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 200
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 03-31-03 , 12:38 PM

>>Would You Really Want a Big Rock?<<

I get several emails a day offering this to me.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 03-31-03 , 01:10 PM

Hiya empresseva.

I probably, personally, wouldn't upgrade to a 2 carat, only because in my area I'd be a HUGE target for theft. I don't live in a very wealthy area. I want to upgrade from my .55 Marquise one day to a Three Stone ring, the center being a .75 H&A. That's about as big as I want to go.

Last edited by Cassandra : 03-31-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
luluhb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 03-31-03 , 01:25 PM

Hmmmmm, lemme think.....ssshhhYYEEAAHH.
Well, let me qualify...I recently looked at a 3 carat princess and I felt it was a little too big. The ring has some other issues...but if it was ideal...hmmm, maybe. I have a 1.77 and am looking forward to a nice juicy 2.5...then again, I'm 5'11" with some big ol' "man hands"...

Old CityGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
CityGirl is on a distinguished road

I love your rings....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 03-31-03 , 01:40 PM

EE...

First of all, you have a stunning wedding set. The stone, setting, workmanship of your set is second to none...it is the set you dreamed of when you and your husband were dating. You couldn't believe he bought it for you since it was over the budget. Remember when you first opened up the box? It took your breath away? Just remember that feeling.

You setting is from Tiffany. Would you replace just the center stone or the entire ring? Would Tiffany upgrade it for you?

That said, I am embarassed to say that I am on my 2nd upgrade a 3 carat rbc with an eternity band. The set is big, but it fits me and my lifestyle. Nobody has questioned its authentity...yet. Looking back, I should have skipped the first upgrade and gone directly to 3 cts. but I didn't.

Take your time and really think about it.

Old stasi1974

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
stasi1974 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 03-31-03 , 01:55 PM

i've been going through this myself, recently. i'm pretty sure i'm going to upsize to 2.2ct. i've tried on the 2.5ers and i think they're a little to much for my taste. but i think that a 2.2 would be just right for me.

as far as attention goes, my ring is about 1.75ct (& super sparkley) but i rarely get any comments on it. i don't know if it's because i look young & i'm a super casual dresser (so people assume it's fake) or because it's in a low-pro setting so it doesn't 'jump out' at people. (you've got a super cool setting, ee).

i guess what i'm trying to say is, i don't think that the size change will make people notice more than they already do.

...now if you were going to a 27.72ct heart shape...zowie!

Old elizabeth17

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 68
elizabeth17 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 03-31-03 , 02:21 PM

Just my $0.02, but I could've gotten a 2.08 H VS2 A Cut Above H&A RB diamond, but decided to go with a 1.51 F VVS2 ACA instead.
Even though I wanted the larger diamond, I was not willing to go down on color or clarity to get the larger size. I don't know if it's just me, but I notice a trend on DT, those who own larger 2+ carat diamonds tend to sacrifice cut, color or clarity, in order to get the size they want. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.
The 2.08 was only a few thousand more, so it wasn't like I couldn't have afforded it, in fact, because I had originally gotten a three stone ring, all three diamonds added up to the cost of the 2 carat, so I would have just had to pay the difference for the setting I chose.
Eventually, in a few years, I may decided to upgrade to a 2 carat diamond, but I won't go below a G color or VS2 clarity. The funny thing is, the price jumps when one goes from an H 2 carat to an F 2 carat, by about $7000. The F color I had in mind was somewhere in the $26K range, the G color was $24K. And although I have heard that no one can tell an H from an F mounted, I can definitely see a difference between my new ring and my H colored pendant.
In the meantime, with the difference that I saved, I bought a new Louis Vuitton bag, a new DELL computer, and will soon purchase a new Digital camera (when I can figure out which one I want). Plus, I am still getting my anniversary band from Tiffany's.
So, in the long run, I think I did better than if I went with the larger diamond. And as I said before, eventually I will get that one, too.

elizabeth17 signature
There's always going to be someone who has something bigger or better or nicer than yours, you just have to be happy with what you have, and pray you hit the lotto.
Last edited by elizabeth17 : 03-31-03 at 02:32 PM.
Old Kamuelamom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Kamuelamom is on a distinguished road

MHO
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 03-31-03 , 02:39 PM

I think this is perfect in all its beauty. I wouldn't change a thing.

Now if we are talking about adding to the collection, as opposed to upgrading, well that's a different story...

Attached Images
solitaire.jpg

Old foxyfi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
foxyfi is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 03-31-03 , 06:52 PM

Hi EE,

Hmm...tough choice!

I love your ring, it's beautiful and if I were you, I wouldn't change it at all.

Maybe you could consider upgrading to a different cut and bigger ring, so you could alternate wearing the rings according to your mood and the occasion

That's probably what I would do.

Let us know what you decide!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is Hearts and Arrows a trademark by Sibelius
Up a Topic Newbie needs help posted in Greet New Members by sugarnsquirt
Older:
Down a Topic Girdle Laser Engraving Question by rbjd
Down a Topic Etiquette I don t want to register BUT posted in Gift Registries by whitemist