Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Lynne

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Lynne is on a distinguished road

Old Mine Cut & Old European Cut Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-26-03 , 04:20 PM

I am trying to find out information on these two old cuts of diamonds. I have searched the web and was not able to find much information nor pictures of these two types of cuts. Are all the Old Mine cut diamonds square and the Old European cut diamonds round? I wanted to find out which one is considered the most beautiful diamond. I would like to hear from anyone who owns one of these and what their opinions are. Are there specific things you should look for when choosing one of these diamonds? I know with the MRB there are guidelines in choosing the best diamonds such as table, angles, cutlet, crown, pavilion... are there guidelines for these old cuts? I am trying to learn the history behind these diamonds and need your help! If you have pictures - please post them! Thanks again!

The above message was filled out via an online form located here

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 146
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-26-03 , 04:39 PM

I'll post pictures of my two old European cut diamonds. I've tried to take better pictures, but I can't seem to get great results. These rings do look better in real life. I am a fan of the old cuts, but I'll defer to the experts to answer your questions, as I am a consumer who is not all that knowledgeable. That said, I go for stones which have very high clarity.
This diamond, which is just under 2 carats has VVS1 clarity. Its color is in the I-J range.

Last edited by Itbit : 03-26-03 at 04:41 PM.
Attached Images
10-7-02a 012sm2.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-26-03 , 04:51 PM

Here is my other ring. My grandmother wore it. The diamond is almost 1 carat, I color and VS1 clarity. It has a better cut than the first ring.
Sorry for lack of picture quality.

Attached Images
10-7-02 035sm.jpg

Old Lynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-27-03 , 10:11 AM

Thank you for the pictures Itbit. I'm like you, I prefer high clarity also. What about the color - can you tell in person that the color I/J is not as white. If I decide to purchase an old mine or old european diamond - I would want to set it in platinum - what do you think about the I/J in platinum? Can you tell me the difference in looks between the old european diamond and the new hearts and arrows diamonds - how do they look different? Thanks again.

Old warmuster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
warmuster is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-27-03 , 02:12 PM

Hi,
Iam an oldcut lover and have a I/J one over 1 1/2 carats. You can see that its not a d but it faces up well, I have high clarity and its a well cut stone. Platinum is fine if the stone is well cut, many older stones face up better than their color. I would suggest not getting a modern mounting, old cuts are still round diamonds and gorgeous but they look moregorgeous in a 1930s and below type setting inmho.
THe H&A is a branded new cut, its cut to exacting proportions , the old cuts are not cut to those standards, many modern rounds are not even cut to those standards. The look and price will be very different. I suggest seeing all kinds of stones to get an idea. Also compare apples to apples. A H&A will be a better cut than an OEC but the OEC could be a gorgeous well cut stone that blowsyou away in its own way wheras the customer next to you wants the new "perfect' cut of the branded stone. Both kinds of stones have a market.
I would search for a good dealer in Old stones and look at some, sa you want a good cut and such and such color,
My stone was orginally set in a tiffany style plat setting, something was off, I had the setting hand engraved in a 30'sdesign and now it SINGS. I get compliment after compli,memt. If i holda modern stone next to it I see the difference in look but its not jumping out at me on m hand I also love that this diamond was cut b hand and loved for generations before me
good luck

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-27-03 , 02:30 PM

The second ring I posted is platinum with an I color diamond. The picture is not too accurate as the diamond looks bright white in almost all lighting conditions. Sometimes, if I hold the ring in certain lighting conditions, and look at it with concentration, I can discern the very pale yellowish body color and I see why the appraiser graded it "I color."
I agree with warmuster that the old diamonds look best in old or antique reproduction settings. It is all a matter of taste: I think I color looks great in platinum, yet someone else would find it unacceptable, preferring the icy white of a higher color.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-27-03 , 02:43 PM

The modern Hearts & Arrows diamond has a brilliant, sharp look; I describe it as 'like needles.' The old cut stones have facets which reflect broader shapes more randomly. Both are very beautiful in their own right, in my opinion. I was interested in the old cuts because I had inherited the platinum ring, and then later when I went shopping for another ring, I was attracted to the fact that the diamond I chose was cut at least 100 years ago and I knew that it had not been altered (laser drilled, fracture-filled). I also like the idea of buying old things second-hand, anyway. I admit that my bigger diamond looks great, but could have been cut better, displaying more brilliance. But, I got a great price on it and it does its job of looking very clean and bright on my finger. You have to weigh all the variables when choosing a diamond.

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 65
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-28-03 , 06:20 AM

I would agree with all that has been said so far.

a) Many OEC's seem to face up quite white. Mine is an I but looks much whiter when I compare it to other modern certificated stones. Mine is set in white gold and looks great. I have a three stone old cut ring which is set in platinum (also I colour) and they look great too.
b) The modern stones have those needle shaped facets coming to a point somewhere underneath the stone - I call it the ice-cream cone effect - while the old cut stones have fatter, triangular facets across the whole top of the ring - a look that I personally prefer.
c) You get lots of white flashes from modern stones, but lots of colour from the old stones.
d) You can get well cut (for their time) old stones, but finding them isn't easy. No-one, that I've come across so far, has numbers for you to go by. You have to look at a lot of stones and learn what you like and what looks good. That's a bit offputting for modern buyers who feel safer with the saftey net of specs to fall back on to justify their choice, but if you are confident in your own taste and ability to pick a 'good' stone, it makes buying an old cut stone a very exciting and satisfying experience.
e) You should get a much better price than on a modern cut stone. Either you get the same size stone for less cash or a bigger stone for the same money.
d) You get all the history and romance that comes with an old stone.

If you do a search of DT you may find some further answers to your questions, as they have been asked before, but, I have to admit, hard and fast info on old cut stones is rather thin on the ground. I know, I looked too . Anyway, good luck with your search and whatever you choose, have joy of it.

Here's a pic of my OEC three stone ring. My E-ring is on DT's e-ring thread.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Attached Images
platring3.jpg

Old Sixcatstoo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 46
Sixcatstoo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-28-03 , 09:43 AM

Your three stone ring is gorgeous!

Old Lynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-28-03 , 10:51 AM

Warmuster, Itbit, and Bagpuss - Thanks for all your information. The rings are all beautiful! Warmuster - I'd like to see your ring sometime too!

Can you recommend some websties on where I can find pictures of the mounting styles before 1930? What do the 30's designs look like? Warmuster, what kind of engraving does a 30's design have? I'm petite, I wear a size 4-1/2, so I don't want something that will be overpowering. I'd like something that is simple - but classic and very elegant.

Do you know what the price difference between the old cuts and the new cuts are?

Do you know how I would go about find a "reputable" dealer in my area that sells the old mine or the old european cut diamonds?

How would I be able to tell by looking at the diamond if it was well cut? It's easy to go by specs to tell if a diamond is well cut - then look at it, but when there are no specs... Are there certain things to look at?

It sounds like alot of the older stones were around "I" color (all of you had "I") and a very high clarity. Do you all think that the lower color stones have more "fire" and are warmer that the higher color stones?

The fact that these diamonds are so old and have a "history" behind them - that really attracts me. Like you said Bagpuss - history and romance - how can it get any better!

Do you all know if this is correct:
1. Old mine diamonds were cut between 1850 and 1900. The culet was cut off flat. The old mine cut diamonds were cut square or cushion cut, rather than round.
2. Old European diamonds were cut between 1900 and 1931. Old European cut diamonds were cut round.

One jewelry told me that the Old Mine cut diamonds were not cut square - that they were round or oval. She said that the Old European cut diamond was cut somewhere in the middle of the Old Mine and the modern Round Brilliant. That confuses me because how would you know the difference? If you have 2 stones, they are both round, how would you know if they are an Old Mine cut or an Old European cut? I thought that the way you told the different between the two was that one was square (Old Mine) and the other was round (Old European). Anyway, what do you know about this?

What is the difference between square cut and cushion cut?

Wow, I have alot of questions! I want to learn and all I know to do is ask.

Thanks!

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-28-03 , 01:57 PM

Check out:
http://www.antiqueengagementring s.com
http://www.faycullen.com
Your questions are good, but I don't know enough to answer them with confidence.
oldminer, are you around?

Last edited by Itbit : 03-28-03 at 02:17 PM.
Old warmuster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-28-03 , 02:43 PM

Hey
M husband won't let me post pics on the net. but its a 2mm wide platinum band with miligrain and leaf designs, I'd sa do a search on vintage setting styles , whitehouse brothers, www.faycullen.com and www.tacori.com are all good places for eye candy. Go to a repubtable jewler and ask to see vintage 30s designs and or other reproduction looks. My jeweler charged me 400 to hand engrave the existing mounting I bought for 600. My wedding band is a old cut eternity band that totals 1 carat and is 2mm wide with the same engraving on the sides as the e-ring. My finger size is a 4.5. I feel that the wedding band alone is too thin.when the 2 rings are together I love the look but its def a dainty look.
I looked at many rings and esp liked the B&N designs but in the end we found a local store that did their own designs that I fell in love with. I have m grandmother's hand engraved plat 2mm wedding band from 1930and it look wonderful with my reproduction pieces. My diamond is from the family and that means a lot to me.
I am no expert but the OMC are roundISH and the OEC and the transitional cuts (in b;t OEC and modern) are def square.M stone is similar toa modern one you prob would not see the difference unless you knew a lot about diamonds, Itoldyou or you were super close to me. That is b?cmy set is vintage in look and most people know nothing about diamonds.
with an older cut you need to rely on your eyes and an apprasial . my 1.58 I stone with great clarity could sell for 6 to 8 or a bit more depending on the exact specs according to m jewler, now I don't care toknow exact worth, its an expensive priceless stone to me and cheaper than a modern one. I saw it through 10x mag and there was one tiny mark but it is an i/j color since its an old cut that was once an earring. I also have an oldmine cut that is under half a carat in a simple orginal goldmounting that is lovely. I have modern diamonds as well but nothing large and love them.
Do research try many styles and many stones and in the end be happy that youhave lovely rings to represent priceless feeling
good luck

Old warmuster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-28-03 , 02:44 PM

CORRECT TO SAY OEC ARE ROUND

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-30-03 , 07:17 PM

I found this on an old thread where I was asking about my Old English cut stone. This guy seems to know what he's talking about, so he might be able to help with other old cuts. The thread was started by me and was titled 'Question for Dave Atlas' - there's other info on it and some interesting diagrams of old cuts.

[Old English Cuts
Dear Bagpuss,

The terms Old English Cut and Old European Cut are often used interchangably which is unfortunate and confusing.

It has been suggested (Tillander, 1995) that the term Old English Cut be reserved for the beautiful round brilliants cut in England during the late 1700s and mid 1800s. At the time, London was a center for extremely fine diamond cutting.

The term Old European Cut should be used for the less fine, more haphazardly cut round brilliants from the other major cutting centers of the 19th century. Cutting these stones was less labor intensive and preserved more of the original weight of the rough crystal.

The English cutters were not able to compete with the less costly, readily available Old European stones. Faced with public indifference to cut quality, production of Old English Cuts dwindled toward the middle part of the 19th century.

As an aside, later in the century the tradition of the Old English Cuts inspired the work of Henry Morse and later Marcel Tolkowsky which led to the American Ideal Cut and today's modern ideal cuts.

Your ring must be very beautiful! I can not wait to see the pictures.

Best regards,

Art Anderson
Bijoux Extraordinaire, Ltd

Hope this helps.

Just a small postscript - the longer I've owned my ring the more I've fallen in love with it. It has so much more character than the modern stones I see in all the shops. Despite being an I colour and an SI2 clarity (officially) I think that my stone looks as clean and white as any of the more highly graded stones that I've been shown. Whenever I go in a jewellers with it on, all the jewellers make a bee-line for me and ask if they can look at it. So far, they've all been very impressed and complimentary.

Don't say no to an old cut stone just because it's harder to get info on them - trust your eyes. I did and I've never regretted it.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Last edited by Bagpuss : 03-30-03 at 07:23 PM.
Old Lynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-31-03 , 11:31 AM

Itbit - Thank you for the two web sites. As soon as I have a chance I will definitely check out those styles!

Warmuster - Thank you also for the info on the web sites. By the way, what does "B&N" stand for? My problem is I live in a rural area and I am not sure where I am going to find a reputable dealer around here. When you talk about an appraisal - do you mean sending the stone to the GIA for grading? When you say that the OMC is roundISH - does that mean it is round but not proportioned good, sort of lop-sided?

Bagpuss - So your diamond is an Old English cut - not the Old European cut. I have never heard of the Old English cut - are they hard to find? Sounds like they are cut alot better. Do most jewelers know the difference between the three: Old English cut, Old Mine cut, and Old European cut? I honestly don't know if the jewelers in my area have even heard of these cuts!

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-02-03 , 05:43 PM

Sorry, but I think that I found my Old English more by accident than design and it may well be quite hard to find more of them easily, but it's always worth a try. Anyway, good luck with your search.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old Lynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 04-03-03 , 04:44 PM

Bagpuss,

You were fortunate to find an Old English stone - I saw it on the other post. It is beautiful!

Thanks again for all your help!

Lynne

Old IssaArmstrong

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
IssaArmstrong is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 04-04-03 , 04:14 AM

Drooling over Bagpuss's ring. That is my style! Wear it in good health!

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-06-03 , 07:36 PM

Lynne & Issa

Thanks for your kind comments. I really do enjoy my rings, in fact I enjoy all my jewelery. Every day they sparkle up at me and lift my spirits, even on the rainiest, gloomiest of days.

A kiss from my husband, a smile from the kids and cuddles from my cat, Paws, give me the same sort of pleasure.

I'm a very lucky lady to have them all

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Last edited by Bagpuss : 04-06-03 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jewelry Expert

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
Jewelry Expert is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=594, In=0

Photos Of Old European Cut (OEC)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 04-10-03 , 10:43 PM

I have just finished photographing an estate ring with an Old European Cut that we recently acquired.

The following photos show the round shape, small table, high crown and large culet that are charactereistic of OECs.

When evaluating the beauty of an OEC several factors to consider are:

1. The roundness of the shape. Off center or lop sided stones are less appealing.

2. An even play of light as it sparkles and dances across the crown facets and table.

3. The symmetry and balance of the facets.

4. A culet that is not overly large or off center.

OECs and the other antique cuts are among my personal favorites. For me they have so much more personality than modern brilliants.

Best regards,

Art Anderson
Bijoux Extraordinaire, Ltd

Attached Images
estate-ring-1.gif

Old Jewelry Expert

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
Jewelry Expert is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=594, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 04-10-03 , 10:44 PM

Here is a side view showing the crown height.

Attached Images
estate-ring-2.gif

Old Lynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 04-16-03 , 08:47 AM

Thank you Mr. Anderson for the information and the pictures. That is a very beautiful ring. You mentioned that OEC and other antique cuts are your personal favorites. Are there more cuts besides the Old European cut, the Old Mine cut, and the Old English cut that Bagpuss has? The newer stones have guidelines to follow such as crown height, pavilion, table... so is it safe to say that the old cuts don't - that you just have to let your eyes be the judge? That you for your help!

Old West

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
West is on a distinguished road

OEC'S
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 04-16-03 , 09:12 PM

Lynne I am a collector of vintage and estate jewelry. I would highly recommend the website wannabuyawatch.com. In my opinion it is the best. I have probably looked at every antique and estate website and I have found them to be the most knowledgable and helpful.
Good luck!

Old Lynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 04-17-03 , 01:34 PM

Thank you West! I will check out their website. I appreciate your help! I hope everyone has a very Happy Easter!

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 251
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=15774, In=5493
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 04-17-03 , 02:32 PM

We just shipped out an old mine cut that one of our clients had put in a Tacori mounting.

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Attached Images
ps top view #2.jpg

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Emerald cut help by Miriam84
Up a Topic ken posted in Greet New Members by kawood67
Older:
Down a Topic Help with Financing or Layaway for a ring by PhillyGuy484
Down a Topic Jewellery CAD Designer posted in Job Opportunities by satheeshpandi