Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 100
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17646, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-15-03 , 01:43 PM

I want to know if any of you know the procedure or use of the magnetometer to find kimberlitic deposits in the prospection of diamonds.
I want to know everything about the magnetic and infrared aids to locate the pipe or the source of the kimberlite or if you know about a book or something that can be consulted about this topic.

Thanks!

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old rbjd

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
rbjd is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-15-03 , 04:09 PM

Juan, I'm sure there's a lot of scientific literature on it (and probably some that is kept under wraps, to be sure), but a pretty good layperson's explanation is contained in Matthew Hart's book Diamond. It doesn't go into great detail, but it gives a fairly good example of what is involved.

It doesn't sound like there are all that many kimberlitic deposits around the world and a whole lot of people with a whole lot of money have pretty much exhausted the majority of the possibilities. One sort of gets the impression DeBeers and the Canadian, Brazilian and Russian conglomerates have pretty much located all the viable deposits in the world. A lot of geologists have spent a lot of time doing this sort of thing, I gather.

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-15-03 , 09:28 PM

Thank you rbjd,

I have this book and this only barely mentions it, that's why I want to know more about the electronic means to find it by the aid of a magnetometer from the air flying very low.

I know that a lot of time and money has been invested in the prospection looking for kimerlitic materials, but you must agree that this was done walking and prospecting the zone without the aid of any kind of medern technology, for instance the prospection in Orapa took 12 years.

Now with the aid of new technology many new mines are being discovered, like Canada and Australia.

Now you must agree too that if aluvial deposits of diamonds exist, this came from a kimberlitic source or a pipe right?

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old rbjd

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
rbjd is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-16-03 , 03:03 AM

I think you must be right about alluvial deposits coming from kimberlite pipes, but we're also talking about geography that is 3.5 billion years old, much of which could be radically altered (underneath mountain ranges or underneath the ocean, or underneath other geographic features, possibly under vegetation).

Maybe there are diamond fields out there just waiting to be tapped. If you are moving from fine jewelry design to prospecting, much luck Juan! I'm sure you must have friends with more knowledge about this topic.

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-16-03 , 03:33 AM

Yes, you are right, the intemperized kimberlite can be yellow or red soil like the soil found in many aluvial deposits and I agree that the main source of the kimberlite can be at any place that can be the top of a mountain now or even under water like was the case of one of the Canadian mines.

About your last question yes and not, my father that is a very well known geologist and gemologist has been prospecting for decades for diamonds in Mexico and I has been with him and my brother in most of the prospections, we know where they are, but they are in aluvial deposits that can be very near or very far from the original kimberlitic source, that's why we want to start an aereal magnetic reading of the zone, but I don't know what kind or the power of the magnetometer that we need to do it.
I think that I will contact all the people that makes magnetometers, maybe one will tell me what kind of equipment we need to do search for kimberlitic deposits.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Last edited by Van Graff : 03-16-03 at 03:35 AM.
Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
YourGemologist is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=5049, In=1750
Referrals: 13

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-16-03 , 04:06 AM

Juan,

Your lack of knowledge of these topics regarding diamond mines speaks volumes.

It seems that you are a good bench jeweler. Perhaps you could best serve your purpose by keeping at what you do best.

(comment edited by moderator)

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-16-03 , 12:47 PM

Robert,

Your post shows your total ignorance about the mining as well as you shown in the past your total ignorance about jewelry production techniques.

This prospection and investigation is done by my father that is a very well known geology engineer and gemologist, that received among others the personal invitation and public acknowledgment by the NASA at the presentation of the minerals from the moon because he sent to the NASA a complete report of all the minerals to be found in the moon one year before the first landing in the moon, I think that he is a man that knows a little bit more than you about diamond mines and prospection.

Now about that Mexico always had its limitations, also proves your absolute ignorance about the mining in Mexico.

Mexico have limitations in many ways but sure not in mining, I am sure that you don't have any knowledge about silver mining, but silver mining was done in Mexico since 1530.
A silver mine is way more complex in the process of extraction and recovery of the silver than any diamond mine in the world, most of the silver mining is done 99% of the time under ground and the process of recovery is more complicated.

Diamond mines around the world are 99% of the time exploited at open sky and not under ground, to recover a diamond the process is the simplest of any other mineral because the mineral is triturated, washed, concentrated, separated, triturated again and the process repeats and in the trituration process you don't care about breaking a diamond.
In the aluvial deposits of diamonds the process is even simpler because you only dig, wash, concentrate and recover the diamonds, more simpler?

You will not tell me how to do river washing, panning and prospecting because it was taught by my father since I was a child.
Sure I don't have the knowledge my father have about geology and gemology but can you tell me what is wrong in my post about the prospecting? I want to know your expert opinion about this.

Now that you are also an expert in this field will be interesting to read a debate between two experts you and my father about this subject

My post was not to ask you for your expertise about how to find diamonds or diamonds mining, my post was a very specific question for someone familiar with the use and power of the magnetometer, possibly some familiar with physics or magnetic detectors, information that obviously you don't know.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old DiamondCo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
DiamondCo is on a distinguished road

Re: Kimberlite prospection with magnetometer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-23-11 , 02:05 AM

Hey There...This is a reply to Juan Manuel...My Father too is a world renowned Geophysicist. Your Dad and Mine may know each other. My Dad produced the first Gravity/Magnetic survey of the entire U.S. I had the fun job of coloring the Maps prior to publications. I have been very interested in the magnetic Surveys of Kimberlites in the Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana regions.

My Father discovered the biggest Copper Strike in the State of Michigan. Although he has never been focused on "prospecting", only interested in the "Origins of Earth"..Plate-Tectonics/Earthquake predictions..etc As his daughter, I have been fascinated with prospecting of Gold/Diamonds..etc. I was able to fly with him on his Magnetometer mappings of Michigan as a young person and have access to his maps. He says that these Kimberlites are most likely buried under hundreds of feet of deposits, however, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are exposed to being more "ground level". I would be happy to talk to you and share info, as I know what its like to be the "child of a geologist".

I hope your Father is well and perhaps he and my Dad could speak "for old times sake"...Please respond and perhaps an on-line meeting could be fun. I do know that many parcels of land in the U.P of Michigan have been acquired , as to mineral rights, by the major companies from South Africa, However, it is still available for prospecting for people like you and I...

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Trying to read an old appraisal by smittymann
Up a Topic 3 carat Ceylon medium blue sapphire with Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by chazm
Older:
Down a Topic Diamond measurements by HoliS
Down a Topic Diamond measurements posted in DIAMONDS by HoliS