Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Bella is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-20-03 , 11:03 AM

I'm pretty excited. We just made plans to look at a nearby museum in town for our wedding. We may be getting married and having our entire afair there. And it includes private tours for our guests, there will be rose experts there in the 'sunken garden' lecturing and a presentation on Beatrix Farrand at 2pm (since we are sharing the grounds and museum with the Rose & Garden Weekend) Guests will be able to paint or watch painting experts... and I love the place. BEst of all we would have the most beautiful setting, not have to worry about lighting, decorations or anything.

Here's the link:
www.hillstead.org

Whatchyall think?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Horizon

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 84
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-20-03 , 11:05 AM

Bella,

I had a friend who got married at the RollsRoyce museum, and it was SO COOL!!!!

It gives the guests something to do inbetween the ceremony and reception...We wandered around and looked at the cars.

It's a great idea!!!

Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma
Power: 97
ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-20-03 , 11:06 AM

I think it's a great idea and you're correct. No need to worry about decorations

From the pictures it appears quite beautiful. Good luck with all of your planning.

Old marsmannix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
marsmannix is on a distinguished road

Love it!!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-20-03 , 11:06 AM

what a great idea....i shoulda done that. (the story of my life..)
mars

marsmannix signature
"Having a Boo Radley moment, are we?"
Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-20-03 , 11:16 AM

Well since it's open to the public anyway - come to Connecticut for it. Wouldnt that be a blast?

Most of our friends love art and gardening as do we so it would a perfect match. In fact I am sure that most guests will be happy there is a diversion to the normal wedding hanging around and not knowing what to do? Since we hate dancing and dont want to monopolize the day with 'us' this is the perfect answer to giving the day to our friends and fam.

I'll letchayall know what happens. Mr. B may not be thrilled with the cost, who knows.. although it's TAX DEDUCTABLE!!!! And when you figure in how much it would actually cost to have it at our house like we wanted, with chairs and a tent, and all that garb it would be a lot more. It's $1500 for the day, $500 tax deductable - I dont think that's bad at all.

Thanks for the cool responses.

Old dberg

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dberg is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-20-03 , 12:09 PM

I love this idea! I don't think $1500 is too much for this space at all. I hope you can work out all the details. What a beautiful space!

Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-20-03 , 12:29 PM

Wow, Bella!! That's beautiful! I think it's a fantastic idea! And you can tell Mr. Bella that $1,500 is a heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of Halls. I think the first time I got married we spent $3,500-$4,000 for the hall alone.

Old debinsandiego

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
debinsandiego is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 02-20-03 , 12:31 PM

I think it's a GREAT idea!! We have an aquairum here in town, they rent out for functions as well. I've heard of weddings there.

How fun and creative!! Yeah !!

Old tribalmoon75

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
tribalmoon75 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 02-20-03 , 01:19 PM

Bella:

What a very cool site! The pics on the website look like they have created the perfect setting for impressionist period art! Your guests will have a wonderful time exploring the museum and grounds, instead of pacing around a stuffy hall or room.

Congrats!

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 02-20-03 , 02:19 PM

Yikes! I guess we are doing okay. A friend of mine just also mentioned that instead of just deducting $5oo, that I could write teh whole check as a donation (is that wrong) and use the entire amount as a charitable deduction. Sure, now I'll get in trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra
Wow, Bella!! That's beautiful! I think it's a fantastic idea! And you can tell Mr. Bella that $1,500 is a heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of Halls. I think the first time I got married we spent $3,500-$4,000 for the hall alone.

Old Seagulls

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
Seagulls is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 02-20-03 , 02:31 PM

Believe me $1,500 is a GREAT DEAL and expecially for such a beautiful setting and the grounds look lovely too!!! What season will your wedding be on? I love the idea that the guests can wander the museum in between ceremony and reception. Everything about it sounds FUN and BEAUTIFUL! Good Luck!

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 02-20-03 , 02:43 PM

IF we get married there it would have to be June 21st. The same weekend the Rose & garden weekend is which means all will be in full bloom

I hope Mr. B likes the idea. I already know he loves the Hill Stead, it was his idea to call them. And I know he's into the idea of offering guests nice things to do - I just havent talked to him cause he is at work. He replied back that he liked all the info sounds great. But I know not to try to discuss anything more than this while he is busy at work (some people work while they're at work).

Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CnSpotts is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

It'll be wonderful there!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 02-20-03 , 03:50 PM

"Maxx" & I entertained the idea of various Galleries, Botanical gardens and Libraries when we decided to stay in the states for our wedding...which was going to also be June 21st...the summer soltice! Think of how beautiful the grounds will be, you can also set butterlfies free instead of throwing rice.

Obviously we moved ours up to a Valentine's wedding!

Happy Planning!

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 02-20-03 , 06:13 PM

Okay, without even being 100% certain this is happening I have already fallen in love with the thought. This painting is displayed at the museum, and I think I want to use it for our invitations... Mr. B is a huge guitar nut.

http://www.hillstead.org/guitar.htm

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 163
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 02-20-03 , 10:03 PM

I think it's a great idea, Bella.
Happy wedding planning to you!

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 03-11-03 , 10:45 AM

Yah!!! We booked it and all is going well w/ our caterer. We are having a ceremony and champagne (berr/wine) Hors Dourvuers (sp?) at the museum, outside and on the mount vernon stlye porch. We are considering a jazz trio but may just make digital selections and have cool speakers set up. Then the reception at our house will be Cajun Style. We havea tent ordered and all the fixins. We have a bartender and it'll be the fun part - laid back and groovy... but the museum part will be very classy, but not overdone.

Our caterer is also offering to come back in the morning to do a breakfeast in our back yard. We live across the street from an Inn and will most likely have out of town friends, and drunkards (ha ha) staying there so she offered at a killer price to do omelets, etc...

Old KITTYKITTY

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
KITTYKITTY is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1, In=5

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 03-11-03 , 11:20 AM

Bella,That sounds fantastic,I can hardly wait for you to start posting pics.You're going to make a beautiful bride.Is it June 21st yet ? KK

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 197
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 03-11-03 , 11:50 AM

I'd like to see one of those watch painting experts.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 163
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 03-11-03 , 01:45 PM

Bella, that is great! You are sure to have a beautiful wedding.

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 03-11-03 , 06:48 PM

Thanks guys.

As soon as snow melts I'm off to start taking pics at the grounds so I can figure out what stuff I even need, like somewhere to get married, with some sort of drapey clothy, candles or something?
In fact I like that thing that jewish people get married under. I can hardly say it let alone spell it, but you know what I mean. We were thinking of constructing something like that near this big old tree there.

RM, want me to ask if they wil paint you a rodent of some sort?
We're going to beg one of the artists to paint us that day. How can you tell a bride and groom 'no'?

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 197
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 03-11-03 , 06:54 PM

>>How can you tell a bride and groom 'no'?<<

How can a bride tell a groom "no?"

Rodent painting? Nah, get one of yourselves. My burrow is already lined with sordid rodent photos...

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 03-11-03 , 06:55 PM

Thanks rodentman. Maybe a tiny furry guy peeking around my dress.

Chuppah

Attached Images
ivory1_l.jpg

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 03-11-03 , 06:56 PM

Ooooh, lights.

Attached Images
07tullewithlights.jpg

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 03-11-03 , 06:57 PM

Attached Images
15tiebacksatin.jpg

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 03-11-03 , 07:04 PM

We're not Jewish, and it doesnt really matter to me but is this sort of design exclusively Jewish? I'm not offending nayone or conjuring up some prob you think, for those that'll come and say, 'hey, they're Jewish, who knew'. I just think it's pretty. The one I saw and liked was very simple with a white top and 4 legs/pillars that were just very thick and long branches. It was really cute. I wouldnt want anything carzy and made up more than I even will be.

Anywone have any good pics?

Read Messages in: Reception Halls All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Average Per person for receptions and bridal changing room by mdeleon
Up a Topic 1 80ct Beautiful Round Solitaire For Sale posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by jeweler4life93
Older:
Down a Topic Wedding location in southern california by starlite052
Down a Topic Big Fake vs Big Real posted in DIAMONDS by drm