Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old JohnnyB

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
JohnnyB is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-09-03 , 06:15 PM

First, a quick introduction - I have spent a lot of time here on DT in the past but it was over on the Diamond forum when I was shopping for the engagement stone. I learned a lot, met a ton of great people, and had great succes in finding the perfect stone. I was hoping that you all may help out in the same way on my new search.

I am looking at buying a Tag Heuer for myself. I like the Kirium Chronograph style. I have narrowed it down to two models: The CL5110.BA0700 (automatic)and the CL1110.BA0700 (quartz).

I like the idea of the automatic but have not yet been able to see one in person. I have physically seen the quartz one and have heard that the automatic / mechanical one is slightly thicker. Does anyone know exactly how much thicker it is? I have done a fair amount of web research but this info has evaded me so far. I know that this may be thought of as trivial to some but I don't really want a super big / heavy chunk of metal in my wrist. I like the feel of the quartz and don't want to go much bigger.

I know the other pros / cons of mechanical vs quartz and still want the mechanical. I realize that this is not a mega-high dollar watch but I would like to own a nice mechanical.

Can anyone suggest any really good e-tailers that offer a Tag warrenty and decent prices or any sites that have detailed info on these watches? I have been to most of the big ones.

Any vendors on this board that can help me out?

Thanks in advance.

JB

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 201
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-09-03 , 11:50 PM

The automatic chronos are based on the Valjoux 7750 movement which makes for a watch that is more than faintly reminiscent of a tuna fish can on the wrist. IOW the turkey is thick. Ebel makes the 1911 model chrono with the Modulor 137 movement based on a Lemania movement and that is somewhat thinner.

IMHO I think you'd be better off with the Breitling Colt Quartz Chrono with their quite high grade Super Quartz thermo-compensated movement. Mine is off less than a second a month. The watch is not huge and not thick at all. You can check it out at:

http://www.breitling.com

It sells for about $1,500 on a nice SS bracelet. I think that's a better made watch with a better module than the Tag.

You can move up to the IWC meca-quartz chrono or the Fleiger chrono but they are $3k-$4k.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Attached Images
coltlucca.jpg

Old JohnnyB

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
JohnnyB is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-12-03 , 12:08 PM

Thanks for the info Rodentman!

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 201
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-12-03 , 12:11 PM

I have the Colt with me today since I plan to remove that Sirtoli strap (bad photo-yech) and replace the bracelet. Or as they say here in MN, "change it out."

I will use the black strap on my rose gold Omega to give it a different look that the honey colored strap affords.

I shouldn't use the word "affords" when I discuss these watches!

I will try to obtain some better photos, but the ones on the Breitling forum are still the best.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Read Messages in: WATCHES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic GPS Watch by rodentman
Up a Topic T Rex Have you had your baby posted in Baby Room by Musthave
Older:
Down a Topic Another question About antique watches by julieks
Down a Topic eightstar vs superbcert posted in DIAMONDS by nataliejs