Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old SOOOexcited

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
SOOOexcited is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-22-03 , 08:25 PM

Wow. My first post in a diamond forum. Never in a million years... :^) But here I am and happy to be here.

I've done some research online and on paper and I've searched the threads here, so I know that Tiffany is overpriced and that they use the same diamonds as everyone else. But my girl has specified that she does NOT want a big rock. So I'm thinking that something along the lines of a half carat Etoile solitaire would really knock her socks off.

What I don't know is, can I negotiate at Tiffany? Other major purchases (cars, stereos, houses) have flexibility built into the price and negotiations are expected. Am I expected to try to trim some off the tag at Tiffany or do I just go in, hand over my credit card and ask them to wrap it up?

If I am expected to negotiate, how much can I reasonably expect to get off from a $4k-5K ring?

Thanks a lot. I've learned more at this site than a dozen other "buyer's guide" sites. You guys are great.

-Adam

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: My game-face
Visit my blog :

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 146
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-22-03 , 09:01 PM

First question that comes to mind: Why are you so fixated on Tiffany? Do you want a stone that will knock her socks off, or a box that will? (No offense to Eeva and the other Tiffany fans out there...I swear.)

If you've done your research as you said you have, then you know by now that for the price range you specified, you could go slightly larger on the weight, and get a fantastic cut and go higher in the color and clarity ranges as well. Or at least have more wiggle room.

If you're hell bent on that blue box, then so be it; I'm more for getting more bang for my buck.

Best of luck to you.

yogimel signature
1. NO MARVELING AT NATURE
2. NO UNSUPERVISED READING

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Last edited by yogimel : 01-22-03 at 09:05 PM.
Old RichardSherwood

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
RichardSherwood is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-22-03 , 09:13 PM

Quote:
What I don't know is, can I negotiate at Tiffany?

Quote:
If I am expected to negotiate, how much can I reasonably expect to get off from a $4k-5K ring?
You can certainly try. What's the old saying- "You have not because you ask not".

I would expect any retail store, even the great and mighty Tiffanys, to have some latitude on their pricing in order to close a sale.

As far as how much, I'd say at least 5% would seem reasonable, with 10% being even more palatable.

Why don't you offer them 20% less in a nice way, and see what they say? Say you like the diamond, but it's a bit more than you have available. Can they give a young fella a break, with the promise of further business down the road?

Rich

Old princessmichele

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
princessmichele will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-22-03 , 09:57 PM

NO! the nice people at tiff's will not hear anything of the sort!
i don't want you to embarass yourself!

princessmichele signature
"i am what i am and that's all that i am" -popeye, the sailor man
Old Jasmin

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (10)
Feedback In: 
+10  0
Feedback Out:
+10  0

My Karma
Power: 101
Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-22-03 , 11:21 PM

I have purchased a few things from Tiffany & Co, and I am a great negotiator, love to negotiate, and politely mentioned during one of my first purchases if Tiffany discounts, and the salesclerk assured me, THEY DON'T! So, never even asked on other purchases. I might suggest Ebay too for T&CO purchases. I got a beautiful , authentic, Etoile diamond band ring for a fraction of the T&Co price...something to consider, and it came all wrapped up in the little blue box, gotta luv it!!

Jasmin signature
......................... ........................ Ice Ice Baby.....
Old coachdiva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
coachdiva is on a distinguished road

guards at the door
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-23-03 , 02:44 AM

Hopefully those nice little guards dressed in suits at the door won't get you.

Old TxsChatterbox

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
TxsChatterbox is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-23-03 , 12:05 PM

I would be curious to see what they say myself. I have only been in Tiffany's once. It was quite intimidating and I was ignored....lol, so I don't go back.

TxsChatterbox signature
"A moment's insight is sometimes worth a life's experience."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old teplitsa

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
teplitsa is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-23-03 , 12:13 PM

They have Tiffany ring boxes on ebay. I just added some to my watch list and then going to decided which one to buy.

Old SOOOexcited

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
SOOOexcited is on a distinguished road

Thanks everybody! Follow-up question.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-23-03 , 12:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies. If I do decide to go with Tiffany & Co., I'll probably take Jasmin's route and nonchalantly ask if the price is flexible. If it's not, no harm done.

Follow-up question:
Are the prices at most jewelry stores flexible? Is a generalization possible?

I suppose that I'm similar to Jasmin in that I fancy myself a pretty good negotiator, but I've never bought fine jewelry before, so I don't want to make an ass of myself by walking into a jewelry store with an internet ad and asking them to match the price or trying the other negotiating tactics that can be so successful (and entertaining) when buying a car or a refrigerator etc.

Thanks again!
Adam

Old teplitsa

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Thanks everybody! Follow-up question.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-23-03 , 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SOOOexcited
Thanks for all the replies. If I do decide to go with Tiffany & Co., I'll probably take Jasmin's route and nonchalantly ask if the price is flexible. If it's not, no harm done.

Follow-up question:
Are the prices at most jewelry stores flexible? Is a generalization possible?

I suppose that I'm similar to Jasmin in that I fancy myself a pretty good negotiator, but I've never bought fine jewelry before, so I don't want to make an ass of myself by walking into a jewelry store with an internet ad and asking them to match the price or trying the other negotiating tactics that can be so successful (and entertaining) when buying a car or a refrigerator etc.

Thanks again!
Adam

I just bought a stone at dirtcheapdiamonds.com and will have it mounted next week. I doubt you will find a retail store that will beat their price for a similar stone. Unlike traditional retailers, internet stores don't have the high rent, salary, insurance, security and other overhead expenses that need to be paid.

Old ErikCarlsonGG

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ErikCarlsonGG is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=652, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 01-23-03 , 02:29 PM

As a side note if you do purchase a Tiffany & Co. ring from E-bay (and there are some great authentic pieces on there) DO NOT purchase any Tiffany & Co. pieces from "DiamondPaige" which is the online persona of "Katz Imports". The pieces he is selling are counterfeit. They have the Tiffany & Co. stamp on the inside and come with the little blue (counterfeit) box and everything.

Also online through the website www. pennsylvaniadiamondexchan ge.com which is now shut down.

I believe Tiffany & Co. is currently pressing charges for fraud.

just thought I'd share that little tidbit...

ErikCarlsonGG signature
"I never met a gemstone that I did not like." Erik Carlson
Old coachdiva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
coachdiva is on a distinguished road

negotiation
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-23-03 , 03:20 PM

My boyfriend buys all of my jewelry from Bailey Banks and Biddle. His salesperson gives him 25% off except for items that are prohibited such as Mikimoto.

Old pinkprincess

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
pinkprincess is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-23-03 , 04:58 PM

I've never bought anything from Tiffany's myself, but as to negotiating in other jewellery stores, I think it is expected. I've always asked for a lower price than what is on the price tag and the minimum discount I've received was no tax (15% in Ontario).

If I was to buy anything at Tiffany's, I would at least ASK if the price was firm, no harm in trying.

Old Jasmin

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (10)
Feedback In: 
+10  0
Feedback Out:
+10  0

My Karma
Power: 101
Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 01-23-03 , 06:15 PM

Yes, I have been able to successfully negotiate discounts at just about every other jewelry store, except T&CO.

ErikCarlson- RE: "DO NOT purchase any Tiffany & Co. pieces from "DiamondPaige" which is the online persona of "Katz Imports". The pieces he is selling are counterfeit. "
I have looked at items on his auctions, and NEVER felt comfortable with them! I am so glad you mentioned that to warn us! I always wondered HOW they could have so many T&CO items! Thanks for the information on DiamondPaige!

Jasmin signature
......................... ........................ Ice Ice Baby.....
Old dbeth

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
dbeth is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-23-03 , 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikCarlsonGG
As a side note if you do purchase a Tiffany & Co. ring from E-bay (and there are some great authentic pieces on there) DO NOT purchase any Tiffany & Co. pieces from "DiamondPaige" which is the online persona of "Katz Imports". The pieces he is selling are counterfeit. They have the Tiffany & Co. stamp on the inside and come with the little blue (counterfeit) box and everything.

Also online through the website www. pennsylvaniadiamondexchan ge.com which is now shut down.

I believe Tiffany & Co. is currently pressing charges for fraud.

just thought I'd share that little tidbit...

Thanks for the info!! (Like I am going to buy something from Tiffany's! )

Old kerda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
kerda is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-24-03 , 09:02 AM

Ha, ha, ha...negotiate at Tiffanys...that's a good one!

kerda signature
No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Old Grace G

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Grace G is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 01-24-03 , 09:45 AM

I also noticed an 18K gold Yurman bracelet on ebay that has a different stamp on it then mine does (same bracelet). I wish I could remember the seller.

Other then that it looked very similar and sold for at least 500 less than what we paid.

Old SweetPeas

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
SweetPeas is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=312, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 01-24-03 , 11:54 AM

Thanks for the warning about "DiamondPaige". I bought a platinum semi-mount from them about a year ago and was very pleased with it. It is a shame that they are selling fake Tiffany stuff now. I do wonder about some of these sellers that have lots of the same item from Tiffany's. Even if it wasn't a high dollar item, I would want to know that it is authentic. After all, that's what you're paying for at Tiffany's - the name.

My DH has a seminar in Las Vegas next month at the Paris. He's going the week of Valentine's Day and returns on the 13th, so I know he will be pressed for time to do his V-Day shopping. I have given him a map showing that there's a Tiffany's right across the street at the Bellagio, and a Tiffany's catalog. He's lucky to have such a thoughtful and considerate wife!

Christine

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 200
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 01-24-03 , 03:41 PM

Reminds me of trying to negotiate a discount on a steel Rolex. Best deal is 5% and that store had 0% 12 month financing. BUT they really aren't watch experts and they chewed the screw heads in the process of removing a link from my friend's new datejust. So what did he save? Now he wants to go back and get him new screws or a new bracelet.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old midfiman

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
midfiman is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 01-24-03 , 04:52 PM

No Tiffany's does not negotiate, and I don't know what's with the sales people. At least at the Tiffany's on Fifth Ave, they are just totally stuck up. I know there are those that love Tiffany's and I have nothing against that, but I refuse to buy anything from that store ever again with the attitude I got from the sales reps.

That being said, consider buying from a jewelry store that actually gives you what you pay for. I was also excited at the idea of getting a Tiffany's stone for my fiance. However, when I went shopping there, and saw what I could get for my money there vs. pretty much any other place on the market, I was thinking it was crazy.

I have no problem spending money on something where there is a difference, but again, it's a diamond. A diamond is a diamond. So sure, I wasn't able to give my fiance a blue box. However, I was able to give her a 1.5 carat ring (I know that's not enormous, but still big to me) of better clarity and color than I would have been able to had I bought it from Tiffany's.

I know that your future fiance is not crazy about the size of the stone, but then give her something else. Dazzle her with an eight-star or Superb-cert, or get her a D/E colored stone, or maybe a VVS but SOMETHING that SHOWS!

In the end, it's your decision of course, and no one can change that, but at a bare minimum, see what you can get for $4000-$5000 in Tiffanys and go to another jeweler and see what the same budget can get you. If you're not convinced with the difference, then buy it from Tiffany's and be proud of the investment.

I guess, as a guy, I just love when all of my fiance's coworkers gawk at her "non-tiffany" diamond because it's much larger than any of theirs and much better cut/clean, even though some of theirs ARE from Tiffanys!

Old Diver

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Diver is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1364, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 01-24-03 , 05:28 PM

Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't buy from people that are stuck up, merely on principle.

Diver signature
We are watching YOU! LOL
Birth, School, Work, Death
Old kimberly

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
kimberly is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 01-24-03 , 05:50 PM

It is so surprising to me to hear a few people mention the "stuck up" attitude of some employees at Tiffany's. I have been in the store more times than I can count and have always had marvelous service. I might add that I do not look like the typical 5th Avenue shopper. I do not wear furs, I wear jeans and my hair is frequently in pig tails when I enter the store. More than a few times I have both admired and tried on fabulous looking things and the sales help has always been courteous. It's also fun to remember that you are the consumer and they are the ones who are standing behind the counters to make their living.

Old dd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dd is on a distinguished road

ditto Kimberly!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 01-24-03 , 05:54 PM

And please don't try to negotiate! It won't work!

dd

Old teplitsa

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 01-24-03 , 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by midfiman
No Tiffany's does not negotiate, and I don't know what's with the sales people. At least at the Tiffany's on Fifth Ave, they are just totally stuck up. I know there are those that love Tiffany's and I have nothing against that, but I refuse to buy anything from that store ever again with the attitude I got from the sales reps.

That being said, consider buying from a jewelry store that actually gives you what you pay for. I was also excited at the idea of getting a Tiffany's stone for my fiance. However, when I went shopping there, and saw what I could get for my money there vs. pretty much any other place on the market, I was thinking it was crazy.

I have no problem spending money on something where there is a difference, but again, it's a diamond. A diamond is a diamond. So sure, I wasn't able to give my fiance a blue box. However, I was able to give her a 1.5 carat ring (I know that's not enormous, but still big to me) of better clarity and color than I would have been able to had I bought it from Tiffany's.

I know that your future fiance is not crazy about the size of the stone, but then give her something else. Dazzle her with an eight-star or Superb-cert, or get her a D/E colored stone, or maybe a VVS but SOMETHING that SHOWS!

In the end, it's your decision of course, and no one can change that, but at a bare minimum, see what you can get for $4000-$5000 in Tiffanys and go to another jeweler and see what the same budget can get you. If you're not convinced with the difference, then buy it from Tiffany's and be proud of the investment.

I guess, as a guy, I just love when all of my fiance's coworkers gawk at her "non-tiffany" diamond because it's much larger than any of theirs and much better cut/clean, even though some of theirs ARE from Tiffanys!

I live in NYC and a lot of the expensive and so called trendy stores here you are paying the extra money for the brand name. Some of the stuff is really better than the less expensive stuff. A lot of times it's just a trendy made up name and a high price that makes people think it's good stuff.

I have a couple of expensive things that I buy that I really like. But then my 99 cents chapstick is better than most of the $5 lip protection creams in the expensive stores.

Old msmithmomx2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
msmithmomx2 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=59, In=4

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 01-24-03 , 10:37 PM

I went into Tiffany's in Cincinatti, OH and the sales people there were awesome. I never felt uncomfortable and the lady who helped us answered all of our questions. I'm glad they weren't stuck up or I would have probably let them have it.

I don't deal well with snobs. LOL

I still wouldn't buy from them....bigger rock or blue box? Hmm.....

msmithmomx2 signature
Melissa

"There are two ways of spreading light -- to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton

"Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
and
sit softly on your shoulder."

-- Henry David Thoreau

"Itís hard to beat a person that never gives up."

-- Babe Ruth
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Advice needed PINK diamond pricing by BBF
Up a Topic Over 6 Carat platinum engagement diamond ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by Robinla6
Older:
Down a Topic Venders Any vintage settings for asscher cut dimonds by pandora77
Down a Topic I am new But I need Your opinion posted in JEWELRY by harryrsc01