Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old tiggerlgh

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
tiggerlgh is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-10-03 , 12:52 PM

My friend just got engaged and was telling me about her princess cut diamond from Zales and was saying the diamond was almost perfect. When I looked at their web site they only showed diamonds with IS clarity and I color. I was just wondering I don't want to hurt her feelings but I have a funny feeling her diamond (which I have yet to see) is not as perfect as she believes.

Thanks!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 182
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-10-03 , 12:57 PM

I am inclined to agree with you. Zales may have said that the diamond was "almost perfect." Their definition of "almost" is probably not the same as ours. The diamonds I have seen there are graded by IGI whose staff is trained by the Master Graders Helen Keller, Ray Charles, Jose Feliciano, and Stevie Wonder. I wouldn't expect to see top quality at Zales or any maul store, as we refer to them.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Last edited by rodentman : 01-10-03 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jaxie

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 61
Jaxie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-10-03 , 09:49 PM

I speak from personal experience. The Big Z (as I refer to them), does not have nice stuff and if they did, they'd charge 10x what it should cost.

We got my first engagment ring from them, as we were uneducated poor college students. Upon noticing a very obvious scratch on the side of my diamond about 6 months after I got it, I took it in to have then honor their warranty, which said if the diamond scratched or broke, they'd replace it. Ah, but they claimed it had always been there. Now tell me, what girl when she gets her engagement ring, doesn't look at it day and night. No, this was new. They then told me it was an internal inclusion, and didn't I know that no diamonds were perfect? Too bad you could feel the scratch with your fingernail.

Anyways, moral of story. For the most part the Big Z sells low quality diamonds for a high markup and when tested, they fail to honor their warranties. And those IGI certs? Again, pure crap in my opinion.

After the stuff we went through with them, I will never set foot in their stores again. They lie and tell you anything to get you to buy something, but when it comes time for them to honor their words, they tell you they can't help you, unless you want to upgrade and spend twice as much.

Jaxie signature
I AM MARRIED :O !!!
Old Musthave

My Profile
Sapphire : offline
Years:

My Karma
Musthave is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-11-03 , 01:31 AM

I believe most of the diamonds are pretty bad looking but I have seen some nice settings.

I got my ering from them 10 years ago at the age of 17 with absolutely no idea what is really involved with buying a diamond - my appraisal says it is .34 marguis I/VS2 with surrounding .32 I/I2 - if I remember right the center is a dutchess cut. I don't know how accurate this is but it is totally eye clean and a very white I. I was surprised when I started to educate myself on diamonds how well we actually did for being so young.

Yes most of the stuff is junk and I wouldn't purchase from them knowing what I know now, but I have seen some very nice stones. They do not just carry I clarity but you will probably pay way to much for anything better.

I'm just curious how you would hurt her feelings about her ring?

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 71
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3161, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-11-03 , 01:51 AM

Whenever I get frustrated while learning appraising, I always yell to whomever is around to listen, "That's IT! I quit! I'm gonna go sell diamonds at ZALES!"

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 243
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7972, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-11-03 , 01:57 AM

Lot of musical talent in that pool of graders

It is possible to find a range of qualities I think .
Good better best
perfect near-pefect nobodys-perfect
Bad Worse Bort
Good Bad Ugly

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Last edited by Brad : 01-11-03 at 02:27 AM.
Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 58
Diamond in the Ruck is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-11-03 , 02:21 AM

I think it is so funny how people are "sold" perfect diamonds everyday. When people tell me that it was almost perfect or perfect I generally don't go into a big lecture. I have before and it usually does nothing but hurt feelings. People want to feel good about what they buy and I have come to the point where I just let them. That is unless I think they really want to know.

Diamond in the Ruck signature
Rucker
The older I get the better I was.
Old tiggerlgh

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Thats Kind of what I thought
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-11-03 , 11:18 AM

My fiance did a lot of research before he bought my diamond and setting from a local jeweler with a very good reputation.

When I said hurt her feelings is having her find out her diamond is not nearly as "perfect" as she believes it is.

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 182
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-11-03 , 12:04 PM

Someone on DT once said that Zales was in the business of selling financing, not diamonds. How true! Every time I walk in there they ask me if I want to open an account. I told them I pay either cash, or use my MC; I don't need another account. They say, but the store gets credit for opening new accts and there was some discount if I used my Zales card. So the stuff is even more egregiously overpriced for those who don't.

AW GEEZ!

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Iris

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Iris is on a distinguished road

tig
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-11-03 , 02:22 PM

It is probably not good as you say. But keep your mouth shut.

Old Iris

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Iris is on a distinguished road

tig
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 01-11-03 , 02:22 PM

It is probably not good as you say. But keep your mouth shut. It might hurt her feelings

Old y2kitty

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 53
y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice
Hits: Out=1, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-11-03 , 09:19 PM

Is it possible to get different quality of diamonds at Zales? Well, Zales is the corporate owner of Bailey Banks and Biddle...

Old oldsalt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
oldsalt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-11-03 , 10:16 PM

I was looking at a very pretty GIA F VS1 diamond one time and the price was close enough to negotiate a decent deal, but when the pushy salesman told me that it was a "perfect stone", I took a pass.

I lost confidence in his operation, and I don't like to be played.

When I told him that I was no longer interested since he misrepresented his goods, he got angry and said that I was a "looker and not a buyer".

I spent more than thirty grand that day.

Elsewhere.

Old tinatark

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
tinatark is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=4

Zales
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 01-11-03 , 10:52 PM

Where I live, we have a Zales Outlet, which is still nicer than some of the other Outlet Maul Jewelry stores here...

at our Zales, you can look at the new stuff - they rarely have anything over 1c, usually SI quality or less; but, the thing they do have there is the "pre-owned" pieces - mostly trades, I think. They're sold at 70% off retail, no warranty or representations of quality... some of the pieces are old style, but I have seen a couple of anniversary bands I've been considering. Zales puts the DW inside a lot of their bands, the one I've had my eye on is .90, eye clean - even with a loupe, sells for $350... about the only thing I would ever consider there would be the pre owned or other close out (last season, 60% off original retail)... + you still get an extra 10% off with a Zales card. 80% off retail?! What does that say about MAUL prices?!!

Old Diver

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Diver is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1267, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-12-03 , 02:28 AM

"Most" mall stores, especially the chains are there for the masses, not the discriminating customer. I would be nice to your friend, as her ring is surely very special to her. It could be a touchy subject. There is no doubt at all, period that for whatever price was paid for what she has, she could have had something much nicer if not bought there. With only a few weeks of study, anyone can go into Zales and know more than the majority of their sales force, if not more than all of them. This, I speak from experience, because I can go into Zales and start talking about basic things and I get the deer in the headlights blank stare. Once, they called a manager over, who was a little more knowledgeable than the other salesperson, but not much.

Diver signature
We are watching YOU! LOL
Birth, School, Work, Death
Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-12-03 , 02:19 PM

Tiggerlgh,

Yes, you can get difference levels of quality diamonds at Zales - crap, crappier, crappiest.

Also, I agree with Diver; be nice and polite to your friend about her ring. Obviously, she loves her ring. There's a good chance her diamond is not what she think it is, but there's no need to burst her bubble, and hurt her feelings.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Last edited by empresseva : 01-12-03 at 02:20 PM.
Old Seagulls

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Seagulls is on a distinguished road

Re: Zales
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 01-12-03 , 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tinatark
Where I live, we have a Zales Outlet, which is still nicer than some of the other Outlet Maul Jewelry stores here...
prices?!!

Out of curiosity, where is this Zales outlet?

Seagulls

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 85
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 01-12-03 , 04:57 PM

Her diamond ring is her idea of what perfect is.

Pleae don't burst her bubble. If she finds out, at least it won't be on you!

Old y2kitty

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice
Hits: Out=1, In=0

Zales Outlet
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 01-12-03 , 05:16 PM

I've seen the Zales outlet in NY state at Woodbury Commons and in the Lancaster, PA area. I think its a fairly common outlet.

Old tinatark

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
tinatark is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=4

Outlet
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 01-12-03 , 05:34 PM

The one I am referring to is Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN area... Actually in Sevierville, but PF and Gatlinburg are more "known"

Tina

Old tiggerlgh

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 01-12-03 , 06:27 PM

I will never mention it to her because I don't want to hurt her fellings. But I was really just wondering if I was wrong in thinking that the diamond probably is not a perfect as she thinks it is. As long as she is happy with it so am I.

Old dd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dd is on a distinguished road

outlet
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 01-13-03 , 01:54 PM

There is also one in Wrentham, MA. Have never been inside . . .now the Movado outlet in the same complex is a different story--good deals on last season's Coach watches!

dd

Old CBK

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
CBK is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 01-16-03 , 06:45 PM

I actually work at Zales part time and I have to admit - they sell crappy diamonds. About 95% of the diamonds are SI2 and lower (majority are I1-I3) and H - K in color (keep in mind that they are IGI certs and appear far worse than some are graded). HOWEVER we DO have 1 ring that has VVS1, E color and it is beautiful - although terribly overpriced. Another is a 3 stone emerald cut ring with VS1, F color and that is a looker too. VERY seldom do we get "quality" stones in the engagement rings, and when we do, they're SO outrageously $$$ that nobody buys them .

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Getting the diamond set by teplitsa
Up a Topic Getting the diamond set posted in DIAMONDS by teplitsa
Older:
Down a Topic Ideal cut with table light leakage by julieks
Down a Topic Loose Diamonds posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by DiamondTrends