Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Thoms

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-20-99 , 10:41 AM

Hello,
I would like to know, what is used when cutting a diamond? I mean,diamond is the hardest thing on earth... how can anything be "harder" to cut it?
THOMS

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Corleenh

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-22-99 , 07:55 PM

From what I've read, the diamond is marked with lines of india ink, then cememented into a wooden holder and the holder is firmly mounted in a vise. The cutter holds a cleaving iron, (heavy, blunt knife) on the line and parallel to the cleavage plane of the diamond. The stone is cleft by striking the iron with a light blow of the hammer. Diamonds are sawed more often than they are cleaved. The saw is a thin metal disk, the edge of which has a mixture of diamond dust and oil.

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7714, In=1682
Referrals: 18

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-04-99 , 08:20 AM

Hardness refers to resistance to being scratched. So Diamond is the only Natural substance capable of scratching Diamond.

But chipping a diamond is possible and refers to the toughness of a Diamond. That is one of the reasons it is important to be careful with your diamond jewelry so as not to chip the diamond. Diamond is very tough as well...but not the "toughest" substance on Earth.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is this a good cut by asem
Up a Topic Is this a good cut posted in DIAMONDS by asem
Older:
Down a Topic Fair price for a diamond by jon
Down a Topic Fair price for a diamond posted in DIAMONDS by jon