Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ociopia

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ociopia is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=143, In=1

Which cut to get?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-29-02 , 12:28 PM

I'm new to the forum and I've been doing research on the net. My husband is buying me a diamond in January and I'm attempting to educating myself. Number One: I want a stone that sings with sparkle and fire.

While a round cut seems to be the obvious choice (the "hearts and arrows" sounds exquisite), I don't like rounds. No info I've been able to find actually lists other cuts in any order of their "light reflecting" ability (if well cut, a good stone, etc.) other than to say emerald cuts are not great at reflecting light.

My question: what are the other shapes that have the ability to sparkle, and have fire and brilliance, in order of most (round brilliant) to least?

Thanks so much,

Ociopia

The above message was filled out via an online form located here

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Jaxie

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 82
Jaxie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-29-02 , 12:42 PM

They are cutting Square stones such as the Flanders, Jan and Brad's Brilliant Fire Princess and GOG's Regent to have maximum brilliance.

For example:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent.htm

These are the Regent's GOG sells. I think they are gorgeous.

Jan and Brad's Brilliant Fire is also quite beautiful:
http://www.diamondbrokersoffl.co m/bfireprincess.htm

If I liked Squares, I would go with one of these or a Flander's cut.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/flanders.htm

I think these choices maximize sparkle, whereas step cuts such as the Emerald and Asscher are not quite as sparkly. They are however, unique and quite elegant. It's a matter of taste I think

Jaxie signature
I AM MARRIED :O !!!
Old DiamondsMan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
DiamondsMan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=809, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-29-02 , 12:48 PM

Hi,
I would say the most well cut diamonds have the firey and brilliancy ,my personal preference is the Princess Cut.
as its lustre is magnified by the way the bottom facets are cut therefore achieving the brilliancy and firey look of (almost) the round stone.(of course this is just my opinion)
"shop and compare" and good luck

diamondsman

DiamondsMan signature
Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-29-02 , 01:05 PM

Here is a good link at GoodOldGold.com

http://www.goodoldgold.com/cut.htm

especially Click on the links at the left for "shapes" and "shape tips"

I thought I didn't like rounds either by the way. Til I got an ideal cut H&A .85ct. It is so fantastic. Before that I thought I was a square girl. Tried on lots of princess cuts last year. Changed my mind, because princesses I saw only sparkled in certain lighting, and even then not nearly as much.

In squares flanders & regent sparkle more to my eye. A regent is like a H&A type square.

Thought emerald cuts and aschers a re pretty in their own way too. Step cuts give off chunkier light. You would have to try them on to see if this sophisticated look is for you.

Old ociopia

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
ociopia is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=143, In=1

Which cut to get - another option.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-29-02 , 04:40 PM

The suggestions for Brilliant Fire Princess, Flanders and Regent cuts are great. I've looked at all 3 and love them, though currently none are in my price range.

I have also run across Spring Cut (http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/spring.asp) and the attendant write-up seems to suggest incredible light reflection. What do people think of this cut?

It is interesting (however) that Jaxie's three suggestions, as well as this one of mine, are all about very unusual diamond cuts that very few people carry. That also gives me "pause" - are these cuts "quite accepted" and will they retain their value over time? I am not educated enough to know anything like that.

Ociopia

Old 43facets

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
43facets is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-29-02 , 05:13 PM

One thing to consider is that most of these cuts will appear smaller than round bril. ..just wondering if perhaps a RB in a cool setting may interest you. That said, I have seen some princess's that have quite a bit of fire. They also seem to be very popular today and may for that reason command a premium. Much like Marquise was back in the early 80's. They may fall out of favor; but in the long run, I don't think they will loose value. BUT - I don't know that for sure -I am truly thinking out loud here.....and I'm a RB fan.

Next to RB, I'm partial to pear. I think they are very elegant.

Old Jaxie

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 82
Jaxie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-29-02 , 08:17 PM

I think Princess cuts have been around quite awhile now. And no, none of the fancy shapes is as valuable as a round. I would suggest reading the information located on http://www.goodoldgold.com

The Regent and Flanders are somewhat newer cuts to the market. Hearts of Fire diamonds just recently released their ideal Square cut, which is much like the Regent in that it boasts Hearts and Arrows images. I think that ideal square cuts are just now coming of age. I believe that in the future, more and more diamond cutters will be trying to make and brand square cuts that can boast similar light reflection as the round diamond. Alot of people do not want a round, but like the sparkle. I think the fact that stones like the Regent and the Hearts of Fire Princess exist speaks to the fact that the public is asking for square cuts that will be brilliant like the round.

I am no diamond cutter, so I cannot say if it will ever be possible to mimic the reflection of a round stone in a square shape, but I suspect that since the cutting of the round is becoming more and more perfected, the market will eventually turn to perfecting the cutting of other shapes and even inventing new ones in order to maximize brilliance while still retaining popular shapes such as the Square.

Jaxie signature
I AM MARRIED :O !!!
Old JCDiamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
JCDiamonds is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Another option
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-29-02 , 10:57 PM

Ocopia,

There is another option for you:

The LUCERE' Diamond.
Similar to the Lucida, but with the Hearts & Arrows pattern.
Diamonds that are extremely well cut, such as this cut, will always hold their value and increase in time.

This stone exhibits the ultimate in fire & brilliance for its shape.

The price range for this stone falls within the round brilliant category.

We've recently sold a 1.28 G SI1 AGS certified.
Some come with GIA certificates, but customers have the option to certify it with GIA or AGS.

Since this stone was recently cut, the Platinum setting is currently under way (drawing to wax to finshed produxt)and I'll post the final product on Jan 10.

In conclusion, I also agree with 43. These stones will seem a bit smaller than a round of the same carat weight.

Old Heller

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Heller is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-30-02 , 12:01 PM

I'm not a professional-- just a diamond-lover who has been window-shopping an AWFUL lot lately. :-) That said . . .

I don't think you have to get one of the branded princess-cuts to have brilliance. Sure, shape plays a factor, but just as you can find a round cut that looks like solid spit, you can also find a fabulous square (or other) cut. If you look closely you should be able to find a brilliant princess-cut stone within your price range (although you will be sacrificing the branding, i.e. it won't be a "regent" cut, or whatever the "cut of the week" is). Look at A LOT of stones until you find one that "speaks" to you. Sounds hokey, but it's true-- some stones will catch your eye. Even in the same gradings of color/ clarity/ cut style, you will find "good" and "better" stones. My princess-cut stone sparkles like mad, and strangers will sometimes grab my hand to look at it-- even though it's "only" 1/2 ct. And when it's next to round brilliants of the same size, it only looks smaller when next to a truly FABULOUS round cut (quite common here, but rare in the general populous). My stone actually looks larger than a friend's round 1/2-ct, simply because of the "sparkle" factor (of which hers is lacking).

I've also seen some really sparkly pears (I was at a conference once where I didn't hear a single bit of the lecture-- just sat and stared at a beautiful pear from across the room)-- but once again, you've got to find a good stone. I've also seen pears that look like a black hole, as the bow-tie effect is so big. If I ever get another diamond ring, I'd probably get a well-cut pear, as that woman's ring left me fascinated by the cut.

--Heather

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Analysis of this diamond 1 12 D SI1 8 by questionman
Up a Topic Analysis of this diamond 1 12 D SI1 8 posted in DIAMONDS by questionman
Older:
Down a Topic Bernard de Haan by Ragemanchoo
Down a Topic Sell 1 55ct Oval DVVS1 GIA posted in NY by hy35