Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Quasar

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Quasar is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-09-02 , 09:34 AM

Dear all,

I wish to thank you for the invaluable information I have garnered in the time I've spent here. I'm near to making a purchase, but I am stuck between three.

I really wanted an Eightstar, but I would have had to go for a stone about 3/4 the size of the other ones I was looking at. I know my girlfriend would prefer the added size for her e-ring instead.

I just graduated and started working 2 months ago. Thus, my budget is limited, and I will be putting in all my savings into the purchase. Yes ALL - I'll have no savings left in my account except for what I need to scrape through to next month.

Here are the three diamonds (RB):
1. Superbcert #915863 - 0.384 F VS2 @ $1066 (Barry says it's eye-clean)
MEGASCOPE
Diameter: 4.73 (4.72 - 4.74) [0.6%]
Depth %: 60.7 - 2.87mm
Table %: 54.7 (54.3-54.9)
Crown Angle: 34.3 (34.0 - 34.4)
Pavil Angle: 40.6 (40.4 - 40.8)
Culet: 0.9
Girdle: 1.2% (0.9 - 1.8)
No Fluor
GIA Polish: Ex
GIA Symm: Ex
HCA - 0.5
BrillianceScope - 3 VH

2. Superbcert #915847 - 0.379 F VS2 @ $1066 (Barry says it's eye-clean)
MEGASCOPE
Diameter: 4.71 (4.70 - 4.72) [0.3%]
Depth %: 60.7 - 2.86mm
Table %: 55.8 (55.5-56.1)
Crown Angle: 34.5 (34.4 - 34.7)
Pavil Angle: 40.6 (40.4 - 40.8)
Culet: 0.2
Girdle: 1.3% (0.9 - 1.6)
No Fluor
GIA Polish: VG
GIA Symm: Ex
HCA - 0.5
BrillianceScope - 3 VH

3. 0.33 G SI1 H&A @ $1021
Can't say where this is from, as I am unsure if he would appreciate my posting his name here as the stone was not listed on the internet. But it is from someone who is held in high regard here - I would not even bother to have it appraised as I trust it will be what he says it is.

The SI1 worries me a little bit, but the ideal scope image is pretty good although there is some leakage. However, he said that this setup is very unforgiving and would show defects even in 8*. I'm still waiting for the other stats to come in - I have included the idealscope in this post.

The biggest problem here is that I cannot see the stones for myself. I am in Singapore. Thus I am buying mostly based on stats and imagescope/idealscope pictures.

I am also debating whether or not to send the superbcerts for appraisal. I think that of the reasons for buying branded stones would be the assurance of quality. To me, this is totally at odds with the need to appraise them. I won't need it for insurance in any case.

If it were Eightstar, I would not even bother having it checked - I have heard only good things about them. I cannot say the same for Superbcert, although I've read enough to know they are indeed quality stones - some of the threads where all the diamond gurus were arguing have planted a seed of doubt in my mind.

My problem is that I do not have the money to have them appraised. If it turns out it would be better to get the stones appraised, I think I would have to go for a 0.36 F VS2 SuperbCert, #915864. I will recover financially in a few months, but I cannot wait until then - I'm afraid the stones would disappear, and I intend to propose in December.

Thanks for reading up till here. I value your advice a lot - this is where my diamond adventure started and I hope this is where it will end with a resounding success.

-David

Last edited by Quasar : 10-09-02 at 10:30 AM.
Attached Images
033gsi1.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Quasar

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-09-02 , 09:45 AM

This is the imagescope of #1

This could be image 2 also, because the labelling was not very descriptive. Have emailed Barry to ask for a confimation.

I am not sure if this image can be directly compared to the ideal scope's image as they may not have the same parameters.

Attached Images
#1520is.gif

Old Quasar

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-09-02 , 09:47 AM

This is the imagescope of #2

As the labelling was not very descriptive, this could be #1, but because it is slightly smaller, I think it is #2. I emailed Barry to ask for a confimation.

Last edited by Quasar : 10-09-02 at 09:52 AM.
Attached Images
#1572is.gif

Old Johnny Boy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 102
Johnny Boy is on a distinguished road

RE : Stuck - diamond choice & Superbcert appraisal
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-09-02 , 10:30 AM

Quasar...

Since the Superb Certs come with a GIA grading report, I think you should be quite confident of them. Personally, I wouldn't feel the need to send them for appraisal.

Old Troop1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Troop1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-09-02 , 02:05 PM

I wouldn't bother having it sent to an appraiser if you are already low on funds. Save the money for the setting. As for what Barry tells you, I'd believe that the VS2 in eyeclean. Trust me, I had a Superbcert appraised by an outside source and he verified everything that is on the GIA papers and Sarin report. If you live near NY, go pay him a visit and see it yourself.

And for Barry; In those pictures above, what causes some of the small white indentations on the perimeter?

Old Quasar

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Any thoughts on which diamond to get?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-09-02 , 10:34 PM

Hi "Troop 1" and "Johnny Boy",

Thanks for your advice. You must be right about the appraisal - Superbcert has big reputation to upkeep, just like Eightstar, after all. And the stats can't lie that much

Would you care to tell me which of the stones above you prefer and why? I'd especially want to know which one you prefer between the two 0.38 superbcerts. I made a mistake and the GIA cert for #2 mentions it has a "FAINT Fluorescence".

I'm in Singapore unfortunately. I'd have loved to go visit a lot of the jewellers who post here and compare the diamonds side by side for myself - next time I go to NY maybe

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Last edited by Quasar : 10-09-02 at 10:37 PM.
Old Quasar

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: RE : Stuck - diamond choice & Superbcert appraisal
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-10-02 , 08:58 AM

Hi Jonathan,

>HORRIBLE pics from the imagescope.

Are you talking about aesthetics or about the light return?

It's true the dark red in these pictures are not as aesthetically pleasing as the images that the idealscope and the firescope give. However, based on the examples I've seen, I believe the light return is pretty good. This is my first buy so I know your knowledge is far greater - please correct me if I'm wrong.

>What if after you get the diamond you
>decide you might want to trade up down
>the road? What about service? Will
>Barry be there for you if there are
>problems? I can answer that one from
>experience.

You will notice that in my first post, I mentionned the thread where all the fuss between you and Barry started. I am aware of all that has happened and indeed it did make me more cautious.

But I have to give credit where it's due - Barry has gone beyond the boundaries of what most jewellers would do to help me in my quest for a stone. He has given me efficient and outstanding service. And despite some friction that occured because of the thing I mentionned above, he has even offered to help me in ways in which I cannot thank him enough for.

He has also assured me a lifetime 100% upgrade policy as well as a 10 day return policy, at the price I paid.

While I cannot say that I know Barry well, I found that he was a true gentleman throughout his exchanges with me, just like Richard Von Sternberg, for whom I have tremendous respect.

>The IdealScope image on that stone looks decent too.
So I assume you'd prefer #3?

Thanks for your advice Jonathan, I didn't know the SI1 part. Just wanted to add that your shop indeed offers excellent service and guarantees for customers. No wonder you get so many customers I had written to you but the reply took a bit too long in coming. They did find a nice stone for me though, but I've already made my choice.

-David

Last edited by Quasar : 10-10-02 at 09:11 AM.
Old Jamesd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Jamesd is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=704, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-11-02 , 12:55 AM

Because of the symmetry of the patterns I prefer them in the order in which you presented the images, first image top choice, third image last choice.

Read Messages in: Appraisal & Insurance All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic independent appraiser by indiraxyz
Up a Topic Hello DT posted in CA by fancyyellow
Older:
Down a Topic Appraisals by Troop1
Down a Topic Wedding pictures from NDnewbie posted in DIAMONDS by NDnewbie