Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Heller

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 49
Heller is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-23-02 , 09:48 PM

I noticed today that my engagement ring has a loose stone (trillion side-stone). It's still in the setting-- is just slightly loose. Anyway, a jeweler in town says that it'll take them a WEEK to repair it. A week?!?!?! To tighten a prong? Certainly they won't be working on it all the time. And it can't be too labor intensive, as they said it would cost $20 to tighten setting. Is it "normal" to leave a ring sitting in a shop for that long? What is a "normal" turnover rate for a repair of this nature? Any advice as soon as possible would be appreciated, because I don't want to give over my ring until I've heard from the experts here.

Also-- I think there are a few people from St. Paul/ MPLS here-- where is a GOOD (i.e., one that won't replace my stones with inferior quality ones or pull some other tricks on me) jeweler? The maul stores are terrible and the only other place with which I am familiar is ShaneCo.

--Heather

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Aimee S

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
Aimee S is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-23-02 , 10:29 PM

My local jeweler tightened a loose prong for me while I waited. It took less than 10 minutes. My guess is your ring would be waiting its turn behind all the other repairs the jeweler has to do. They wouldn't have to send your ring out, would they? I don't think I could stand to wait a whole week just to get a prong tightened. I think that's one of the benefits of building a relationship with a jeweler. I've bought several items while waiting for my jeweler to tighten a prong, set a stone, or replace a watch battery. Works out for both us.

Old Megenoita

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
Megenoita is on a distinguished road

Prong time
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-24-02 , 03:20 AM

hey there,

the jeweler probably has yours lower on a long list. you can easily find a jeweler who can do it right away. also, maybe the jeweler has to send it out to a goldsmith as in they don't have one of their own on sight. Find a jeweler who has a goldsmith on site who can do it the same day; it's simple and cheap. Sending it away for a week is okay, but I never do it.

Goodnight!

Old Heller

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

thanks
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-24-02 , 08:11 AM

I didn't think that a week was a reasonable timeframe. I'm going to call A LOT of places today and see who can tighten the prongs while I wait-- and perhaps to "encourage" them to do it, I'll let them know that I'm looking for my fiance's wedding band. . . ;-) Thanks for the information!

--Heather

Old flashy567

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
flashy567 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-24-02 , 11:02 AM

I have been told by jewelers that they will do any work on my rings in my presences for a little more money. I no longer leave my jewelry with anyone because my e-ring stone was switched when I left it with a jeweler for repair. Since that happened I only use smaller, privately owned stores that will do work in front of me.

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: My game-face
Visit my blog :

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 127
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-24-02 , 11:46 AM

If you don't have a particular jeweler that you consistently go to, try the yellow pages (I know, I know...a little scary), but look under the heading "Jewelry Repairs" rather than just plain "Jewelers" or "Retail Sales". You'll have a better chance of finding someone on-site that will do the repair as you wait.

I had to do this when I moved to a new town, just find someone quick from the phone book; luckily it worked out beautifully, and I've gone to him again and again.

yogimel signature
1. NO MARVELING AT NATURE
2. NO UNSUPERVISED READING

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Last edited by yogimel : 09-24-02 at 11:48 AM.
Old Heller

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

The ring saga . . .
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-25-02 , 08:38 AM

I ended up dropping off my ring at a jeweler who will have it repaired on Saturday. The only jeweler willing to do the work while I waited told me that my prongs were built wrong and they'd have to re-build them for a cost of $200+. Now, the ring was not loose until I MOVED heavy boxes and I knocked it against stuff . . . and I know the prong was set right before I knocked the ring around . . . and I tried to tell this guy that but he wouldn't listen. He just kept telling me how he couldn't re-set the trillion without rebuilding the prongs or the stone would shatter, etc. I walked out of there a nervous wreck! Every *other* jeweler I went to (and I went to quite a few) told me the same thing-- they'll just take out the stone, straighten the offending prong, replace the stone and tighten-- for a cost of $10. I left it with the people who said they'd take the least amount of time. When I pick it up, I'm going to examine the ring under a scope-- because I know at what magnification you can see flaws in my stones. I also will know if they switch the center stone, because each prong was set by hand (so each is distinctive), and I stare at the thing long enough on a daily basis that I know exactly what it *should* look like. I just want my ring back!

--Heather

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic cut questions for an engagement ring by sthagata
Up a Topic My jewellry website posted in JEWELRY by Duga
Older:
Down a Topic Great buying experience by stessier
Down a Topic Great buying experience posted in DIAMONDS by stessier