Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old yeew

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
yeew is on a distinguished road

Need some advice on 2 diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-20-02 , 12:22 PM

Hi,

There are 2 stones that come together with GIA cert I am interested in but need to seek some advice. The details are as follow:

Round brilliant cut

Measurements: 5.95 x 6.02 x 3.72 mm
Weight: 0.82
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Characteristic: Feather, crystel
Color: E
Fluorescence: None
Comments: None
US$2700 (S$4780)*

Measurements: 5.89 x 5.92 x 3.60 mm
Weight: 0.77
Depth: 61%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Very good
Clarity: SI2
Characteristic: Crystel
Color: D
Fluorescence: None
Comments: None
US$2288 (S$4050)*

The inclusion for D SI2 can be seen on the table as a 2 pinpoints and 1 small line. But when closer inspection at the pavilion, I noticed a bigger dark brown crystel (quite close to the table) which shaped like a small guppy. I rotate the stone at every angle and at certain angle I can’t see it while in another angle, it looks darn big even without using the loop. As for E VS2 stone, the inclusion is hardly noticeable.

I love the D SI2 cut when looking into the ‘idealscope’ and also visited the website www.pricescope.com using the Holloway cut advisor. I do not mind the E VS2 cut as it still falls into the Tolkovsky Ideal Cut (TIC) although the depth is slight off by 0.3. When looking into the ‘idealscope’, it shows slight leakage of light at pavilion and the rim around the diamond, still acceptable to me. All I want is getting the biggest bang for my buck.

In terms of money well spent, I know the SI2 stone is better in every way except for the inclusion, which is quite close to the table.

When I read the book published by Fred Cuellar regarding the topic on corresponding grading, he wrote: ‘Diamonds that have corresponding grading sell for higher price originally, and they also appreciate in value more than diamonds that don’t, and therefore have higher resale value.’

He also mentioned that the value of a stone is always based on the lowest clarity or color grade and its highest corresponding grade. If I were to purchase the stone with clarity of SI2 and a color of D, and as D is not a corresponding color for an SI stone, it will cost me more than the SI-H but will appreciate no more over time than the SI-H. Same as the VS2 E color stone. A diamond that does not correspondingly graded could be expected to appreciate 2 - 4% per year.

My primary concerns are, if I accidentally knock against something, I may not only fracture the SI2 stone but could break it into 2 pieces, if hit at the right angle. Also regarding to the corresponding color grade, am I paying too much if I decide to take either stones, as they both do not fall into the chart?

Thank you

*Singapore Dollars

The above message was filled out via an online form located here

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8887, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-20-02 , 10:50 PM

From your description I like the VS2 E.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old yeew

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

RE : Need some advice on 2 diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-21-02 , 10:01 AM

I'm sorry but there's no angle provided by GIA. So it's a difficult decision to choose between them. I have till monday to give them an answer.

There's a few other people who are very interested in this stone. I was given the preference because I have been looking for it since last Saturday. I also have place a small deposit just to secure this E VS2 stone.

My intention was actually to purchase a stone under 1 carat because of my budget constrain. I have seen about 8 pieces of 0.90 carat with good color (E to I) and clarity (VVS2 to VS2) but it's either the depth or table are too deep or too big, or with medium or faint fluorescence. Their asking price ranges from US$3200 (S$5700) to US$3888 (S$6800).

I can understand why there are people who are eyeing on that E VS2.

Thanks for replying so soon.

Old yeew

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

RE : Need some advice on 2 diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-24-02 , 09:11 AM

Hi again,

There's an IGI graded H&A of 0.6 carat of F color VS1 which cost US$2277 (S$4100), do you think it's a good buy? The only catch is one of the sales staff had accidently lost the cert. And there no way that I can verify the inscripted number on the girdle to the lost cert. Also, they are not willing to lower the price of the stone to compensate for the lost cert.

Thanks again

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic JUAN Naval Rings by Gin
Up a Topic JUAN Naval Rings posted in DIAMONDS by Gin
Older:
Down a Topic Jewelry Fraud by Sol
Down a Topic Jewelry Fraud posted in DIAMONDS by Sol