Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old AJB

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
AJB is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-27-99 , 10:51 PM

About a month ago, I purchased a loose 0.6 carat princess cut VVS2, F diamond for an engagement ring. The diamond was a consignment stone that had been brought in specifically for me. I was told that the diamond was GIA certified and that if I purchased the stone, the broker would send me the certification and paperwork in 3 or 4 days.

Well, its been a month and no certification paperwork. I have been very persistent in calling the jewelry store every week asking about the missing certification information. Each time, I was told it would be in 'next week.'

I was informed today, that I have to take the diamond ring back to the store and drop it off for two days. According to the manager, they have to take the stone out of the setting in order to get the dimensions of the stone so that the certification paperwork can be drawn up.

The manager reassured me that the diamond is a GIA certified stone. I am curious as to how it can be certified, though, if they have to get the dimensions now, a month after my purchase. Have I been had?

Any comments and/or suggestions welcome.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7763, In=1682
Referrals: 18

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-28-99 , 02:59 AM

Hi,

I'm afraid it appears that way....
Are they willing to let you return the ring?
If they said it was GIA Certified and they would send you the cert in a few days and then one month later they tell you they need to unmount the stone to get it certified, there's a problem.

Don't be shy with them be firm. If they claimed there was a cert, where's the cert? If they can't produce a paper without you returning the ring, then they didn't have a cert. very simple. Then if they won't refund you the money, go to the Better Business Bureau, for what it's worth...and let them know how you feel...

Please let us know how it goes.

------------------

Old AJB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-02-99 , 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply! We are going to get the ring appraised before approaching the jewelry shop regarding this issue. Also, I am planning on demanding a written explanation of this whole situation regarding the absence of the certification papers.

Old jon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
jon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-03-99 , 08:04 PM

This sounds almost identical to a situation my wife and I had with a 0.92 F VVS2. We called after about 3 weeks wanting to know where the certification was? After a few conversations with the jeweler, we were told that the ring was not certified and that the 0.92 was an I VVS1. We gave the ring back,got our money back and ran.

Old AJB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-04-99 , 07:00 AM

I'm afraid that might be what we end up having to do. My fiancee is not thrilled with that idea because she loves the ring, but if it's not certified, it isn't what I want for her.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to answer regarding GIA diamond certification.
1) If a loose diamond is sold as certified, doesn't that mean there are cert papers already in existance?

2) The jeweler gave me the lame excuse that the diamond was sent directly from the cutter because I was in such a hurry (which I wasn't) and they didn't have time to get the dimensions of the stone. If the diamond is certified, it seems to me that it would have to have gone to the GIA certifier immediately following the cut. Otherwise, it wouldn't be certified. Is this a correct conclusion?

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Good Buy or Not by kjackowski
Up a Topic Good Buy or Not posted in DIAMONDS by kjackowski
Older:
Down a Topic Fair price for a diamond by matthew
Down a Topic Online Jewelry Creator Tool posted in JEWELRY by stacey