Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old jnknstuf

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jnknstuf is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-12-00 , 09:39 PM

Well, to only make matters more difficult, I finally spoke with the jeweler about my stone today, and he told me that he never said it was certified when we bought it. He also swears that it is not clarity enhanced, because he won't deal with those stones. He says he doesn't have any certificates for it now, because he just got it himself, 3 days ago. So, if we'd like, he will send it to Europe (to EGL)to get it certified for us. I love this stone, but why is he lieing about what he said on the day we put it on lay-away?! Is it good enough that he is willing to get the certificates for us (although at our expense...which is what?). I am sooooo confused and am really beginning to feel a lot of sympathy for guys who do this on their own.LI>Certificate #: avillion: mondTalk.com question was filled out at http://www.diamondgrading.com/askdiamondtalk.html

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michellesfiance

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
Michellesfiance is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-12-00 , 10:09 PM

I've heard this before ("You did not buy a certified stone!"). EGL is not good enough; have him send it to AGS or GIA, which should be interesting because GIA won't grade it if the stone truly is clarity-enhanced. Or better yet, cancel the lay-away and find a different jeweler.

If you still insist on this stone, have your jeweler make the sale contingent on the certificate. If the stone comes back the same grades, you pay for the certificate. If not, he pays for the price difference.

------------------

Old Michellesfiance

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
Michellesfiance is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-12-00 , 10:09 PM

I've heard this before ("You did not buy a certified stone!"). EGL is not good enough; have him send it to AGS or GIA, which should be interesting because GIA won't grade it if the stone truly is clarity-enhanced. Or better yet, cancel the lay-away and find a different jeweler.

If you still insist on this stone, have your jeweler make the sale contingent on the certificate. If the stone comes back the same grades, you pay for the certificate. If not, he pays for the price difference.

------------------

Old brodway

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 95
brodway is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-12-00 , 11:28 PM

I love this stone, but why is he lieing about what he said on the day we put it on lay-away?!
-------------------------------------------
The reason hes lying is because its how he makes his living....By saying that you should pay for the grading report, it just confirms that he never had any intention of sending it out for inspection in the first place..Why would he make you pay for this and not do it himself for his own use?
Is it because he usually doesnt believe in the expense of getting reports? Is it because he usually sells junk that is not worth the paper that report is written on?

Good jewelers dont need to lie to their clients..They have GIA or AGS certificates presented with every diamond...Theres never a dispute or misunderstanding...
And please...never never believe the hype about how wonderful the ungraded stone is....They all got a story that goes with the uncertified stone and almost how theyre giving it away...Yet, ive never seen anyone give out something for nothing...Especially when it comes do diamonds...
"Dont believe the hype"....
Go get yourself a GIA or AGS graded diamond and rid yourself of the confusion and fear that you must be going through now....
You will be a much happier person in the end...

------------------

Old brodway

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 95
brodway is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-12-00 , 11:30 PM

I just wanted to add something...
The only way i would buy an uncerted diamond is if he put in writing that if the stone after further inspection does not come back as what he sold it to you as, he will refund your money 100%...
And he will still be around when you come back...

------------------

Old jnknstuf

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
jnknstuf is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-13-00 , 09:01 PM

Thank you guys for your help! My boyfriend is going up to San Francisco (where the jeweler is) tom. and is going to have a talk with him. Rockdoc, I would love the name of the gemologist you know in San Jose...Thank you! It's silly, but I really trust the info you guys are giving me, even though we have never met. Thanks again for your kindness!
Jennifer

------------------

Old Lurker

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Lurker is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=2, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-14-00 , 09:21 AM

Tell your boyfriend to ask the jeweler why he has to send it all the way to Europe to get it certified! Tell the jeweler that you would be just as happy using GIA which is much closer in CA. Or if he's dying to use EGL, what's wrong with sending it to EGL in Los Angeles, CA? EGL in europe does not have the best reputation.

Old dmob8

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
dmob8 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-14-00 , 09:44 AM

Lurker,

Welcome back from the 'Darkside'. So few post's during your three month lurk. We want more.

Glad to see such a giving and constructive post. It warms my heart and gives hope to future contributions.

You clearly have something to add, even if it's provocative at times. Now if we can get you to say what's really on your mind. Kidding!

From the land of olive branches, dmob8

------------------

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic looking for a diamond by dgleason
Up a Topic looking for a diamond posted in DIAMONDS by dgleason
Older:
Down a Topic Diamonds by MartinFHarrap
Down a Topic Diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by MartinFHarrap