Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 92
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3963, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-20-02 , 11:03 PM

Well, I made it. The trip was long, but the last leg - flying from Juneau to Skagway was fun...a little single prop plane, just me and the pilot and the turbulance, flying over the water while looking at the glaciers. It was pretty breathtaking. Skagway looks pretty small, but interesting. I haven't seen much of it yet, but we did visit the grocery store since Stephanie forgot her toothbrush at home. Duh. It has about four aisles!

Anyway, just wanted to let ya know I am officially here. I'll let ya know how it goes when they set me loose on the customers!

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Brad

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8887, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-20-02 , 11:08 PM

Wow! What an adventure. Congrats on your new job .

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=254, In=1

Stephanie,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-20-02 , 11:23 PM

Congratulations on your new initials and your new job. Since I was one of those that encouraged you, I sincerely hope you have a great summer. Good luck and amaze them with your new disguise (a graduate!!)

irish

Old dogbert

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 87
dogbert is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-20-02 , 11:24 PM

Stephanie, your post has transported me into an imaginary episode of Northern Exposure . It's missing only the moose .

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
YourGemologist is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=6372, In=1754
Referrals: 13

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-21-02 , 01:19 AM

Stephanie,

Texas will always be here when you're ready to come home...

We'll leave the light on for ya.......

YourGemologist
http://www.YourGemologist.com

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16886, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-21-02 , 03:10 AM

How's the weather Steph?

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old sopapia

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
sopapia is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-21-02 , 03:45 AM

yay... steph... i'm glad that you got there ok.

btw, i prolly missed this... but what are you doing in skagway (besides being the GG expert in town)?

sopapia signature
Sopapia
Old kimberly

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
kimberly is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-21-02 , 06:38 AM

Wow, how exciting! I'm so glad you made it there safely!! Keep the posts coming and don't hesitate to mention all the small details of the place!

Old Cal

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: My Mark Morrell ring!

My Karma
Power: 80
Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough

Yeah...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-21-02 , 06:48 AM

can you recap your story here in this thread? Tell us about the job offer that brought you to Skagway, exactly what you'll be doing, etc.

And keep us posted on what life is like.

I have these dreams of someday having enough money to move to Hawaii...not forever, just for a few years (to get it out of my system!).

~CAL

Cal signature
* Hoomanaoio ~ Manaolana ~ Paulele*
* Believe ~ Hope ~ Trust *
Old Iris

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Iris is on a distinguished road

wow
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-21-02 , 11:53 AM

Have fun! I have big time fantasies about Alaska..so remote..The last great frontier..should be a blast!

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-21-02 , 11:55 AM

Glad you made it safely. Can't wait to hear of your adventures!

Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-21-02 , 12:02 PM

Yay Stephanie!!

It sounds so exciting. I'm hoping once I become a GG, there will be a place somewhere for me here locally in Michigan.

Old GIA

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 84
GIA is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-21-02 , 12:15 PM

Steph,

I'm waiting for the scoop! Was I right about the uhm, population over there?

GIA signature
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice

Day One, etc.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 05-22-02 , 01:49 AM

Brad, irish, Robert, kimberly, Hest, Iris, Cass - Thanks guys! It's this teeny little town with GREEEEEAAAATT BIIIIG mountains all around. I'm certainly not used to seeing glaciers out my bedroom window!

Jan - weather is great. Haven't worn a jacket since I've been here. We were actually HOT yesterday. All is good, except for the mosquitos (the say the mosquito is the state bird of Alaska. Boy are these things BIG!!!).

dogbert - LOL re: moose! I'm still looking...

GIA - Still taking inventory I'll keep ya posted...

Soph and Cal - Here's the abridged version of how Stephanie came to be in Skagway: A woman in my GG class at GIA has a high end jewelry store here in Skagway, which is only open for the cruise ship season (May-Sept). She needed a fifth person to work, so she offered me a job. We live above the store and wander down to work every morning (when the ships are in) at nine something and then wander back upstairs about six.

I worked today, day one. It was a little scarey at first, but I got in the swing of things. I set up several showcases, albeit a little slower than the others...but they looked good. I even had a sale ($343, and we only did $2300 total today)! Then, at the end of the day, in celebration of everything, I 'bought' (comes out of my check, so I'll never miss it) myself a pair of diamond stud earrings. G VS2, .34ctw. Not huge, but I am happy with them. A fitting gift to myself for all I have accomplished recently.

GemGoddess signature
Old Cal

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: My Mark Morrell ring!

My Karma
Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-22-02 , 07:03 AM

Steph: congrats on day 1! And on your new purchase! What a good idea - a nice way to celebrate your first day; something you'll always have as a reminder.

You mentioned the store is open for the cruise ship season. What will you be doing during the off-season? Will you still stay in Skagway? Doing what?

Have fun!
~CAL

Cal signature
* Hoomanaoio ~ Manaolana ~ Paulele*
* Believe ~ Hope ~ Trust *
Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 203
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-22-02 , 09:12 AM

CongRATS on the new position!

>>the say the mosquito is the state bird of Alaska<<

They say that about MN too. And, yes, they can get quite large. The mosquito crop depends on the temp and moisture so we don't know yet what will emerge. They do a lot of spraying in wet areas so that helps. We heard about the 70 heat wave in Alaska!

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 05-22-02 , 09:18 AM

Just a suggestion...

When you have some "free time", start a journal of your time there. You may think you'll never forget your time in Alaska, but years and years from now if you have a written account you'll be able to share it with future generations. My nana is 90 years old now, and I cherish the times we spent over tea in my mother's kitchen. She used to sit for hours with me and tell me stories of what it was like being a young woman working in NYC, and of raising a family during WWII. I can only imagine what a treasure it would be if she had actually kept journals. And some day your grandchildren are going to be amazed that their nana actually spent time in one of the most breathtaking parts of this country. I don't personally know anyone who's been to Alaska.

I envy this amazing adventure you have embarked upon. Enjoy every moment that you are there.

Old marsmannix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
marsmannix is on a distinguished road

Diamondangel is smart
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 05-22-02 , 09:28 AM

Excellent suggestion!!!! besides your own journal...keep us posted with your adventures!
Will you be "pressured" into using those dastardly "maul" sales techniques..????
hmmm...the adventure begins..
mars

marsmannix signature
"Having a Boo Radley moment, are we?"
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 05-23-02 , 12:06 AM

Quote:
Cal :
...What will you be doing during the off-season? Will you still stay in Skagway? Doing what?

Heck, no I'm not staying here - you turn into a popsicle here in the winter. I'll be back in good old San Antonio come end of September. And find a job there.

GemGoddess signature
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-23-02 , 12:08 AM

Quote:
rodentman :
...We heard about the 70 heat wave in Alaska!

It was pretty warm yesterday - the poor tourists who brought only sweatshirts and sweaters have been melting. It was something like 83 in Juneau the other day!

GemGoddess signature
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 05-23-02 , 12:10 AM

Diamondangel...

I have a travel journal I keep with an entry for every journey I take, a list of places I'd like to go, etc. Perhaps I will elaborate on this Alaskan adventure a bit... I suppose I should put an entry in for Carlsbad too.

GemGoddess signature
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Re: Diamondangel is smart
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-23-02 , 12:20 AM

Quote:
marsmannix :
...Will you be "pressured" into using those dastardly "maul" sales techniques..????

NEVER! They'll never take me alive! As a matter of fact, I am going to go hunt down my 'sales tactics' thread from a few weeks ago and review it.

It is interesting watching the others work - I am learning. I have noticed one thing I do that the others do not...I make people laugh. I like that. I shall keep doing that. One of my co-workers approached me today and said I might try being a bit more proactive and whip things out of the case quickly when people stop to look at anything. I'm not sure though. He has been in sales for a long time, but...I think people tend to get a little annoyed and back off with the 'I'm just looking' thing when you are too aggresive. I am getting sales; I supposed I'll have to try some different things and decide what works best.

GemGoddess signature
Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 103
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17756, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-23-02 , 01:34 AM

Dear Stephanie, I sent you an email did you got it?
I want to know if you have Fedex delivery there and the ZIP code.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-24-02 , 01:38 AM

Juan - I emailed ya.

Ice - Thanks. I am excited. Have fun hiking. I don't hike. I walk. If it is called a 'hike', I don't go. LOL!

GemGoddess signature
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16886, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 05-24-02 , 06:52 AM

It sounds like you are off to a good start. Will you get to see the Northern Lights before you leave?

I'de be careful about whipping things out of the case too fast. You could whip it right out onto the floor or hit the show case taking it out.

I think as long as you genuinely care if you can be of help to the customer is what they really like. Good listening skills is the most important.

Keep us updated, your story is fascinating. What's the name of the store you are employed at?

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Read Messages in: AK All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Greetings from Alaska by GemGoddess
Up a Topic OGI Stacking rings posted in DIAMONDS by warmuster
Older:
Down a Topic Alaska or bust by GemGoddess
Down a Topic Diamond tin cup Necklace posted in DIAMONDS by tieru