Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old emil

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
emil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-24-02 , 07:38 PM

Some of you have asked to see my ring ... I need to get a better digital camera, this one doesn't really get in close enough, but these pix will give you the general idea. They don't flatter my little ACA much -- I swear the arrows are easy to spot when you look down on it. I'm happy to report that it was flashing like crazy while I was in the theatre this afternoon. I had a hard time keeping my eyes off it.

I need some advice from all you wise DTers. I'm not at all satisfied with the setting job on my ring. The stone is not set straight, and this is very noticeable to me. It bothers me a lot. Maurice did not do the setting the way I'd asked and we have exchanged emails about it. He has asked me to take it to his friend Sandro to fix. This time I wanted to be sure everything was perfectly clear, so I emailed this guy Sandro a detailed description of what I want done, with a picture, so there would be no misunderstanding. I wanted it confirmed in writing what would be done before I let him touch it. Well Sandro never reads his email, and I've been waiting for weeks to hear from him.

Finally today I was nearby, so I just went there and spoke with Sandro. I think he understands what I want, but then I thought that when Maurice was setting it too, so who knows? He wants me to drop my ring off on Monday and pick it up on Wednesday. I feel really nervous about this! I don't know this guy, I've never seen any of his work, so I have no idea if he can make the setting look good, and do it right. And I've never left my diamond with anyone before. Should I leave it with Sandro, and what precautions can I/should I take???

Here's a picture of the ring:

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-24-02 , 07:45 PM

This close-up is too close for the camera to focus, but a keen eye should detect at least some of what is wrong here. The metal around the diamond looks lopsided, not very round or smooth against the stone. And the diamond isn't centered in the band -- a bit of the girdle is exposed in the 12 o'clock position, but at 6 the platinum covers the girdle. I could almost live with it being off center in the band if the table were at least level, but it's not. You can see a dot in the stone that is the center of the arrows pattern in this pic, but it not in the center of the diamond, because of the tilt. Having spent so much time carefully choosing a perfectly cut diamond, it make me very sad to have a setting that detracts from its beauty, rather than enhances it.

[Edited by emachell on 04-24-02 at 07:46 PM]

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-24-02 , 07:51 PM

I had asked for a tiny bezel around the stone, in part to make a neater transition from metal to diamond, and also to set it a little higher. I want the girdle to be level with the band, not the table as they do in a flush setting. I thought this was clear to Maurice, I was talking about it while he set the diamond, but instead I got what you see above. I finally found a picture of the sort of bexel I had in mind for my ring:

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-24-02 , 07:52 PM

I had asked for a tiny bezel around the stone, in part to make a neater transition from metal to diamond, and also to set it a little higher. I want the girdle to be level with the band, not the table as they do in a flush setting. I thought this was clear to Maurice, I was talking about it while he set the diamond, but instead I got what you see above. I finally found a picture of the sort of bezel I had in mind for my ring:

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-24-02 , 07:53 PM

I had asked for a tiny bezel around the stone, in part to make a neater transition from metal to diamond, and also to set it a little higher. I want the girdle to be level with the band, not the table as they do in a flush setting. I thought this was clear to Maurice, I was talking about it while he set the diamond, but instead I got what you see above. I finally found a picture of the sort of bezel I had in mind for my ring:

Old sweet7696

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
sweet7696 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-24-02 , 07:54 PM

I have no advice, but I see what you mean by lopsided. I would feel uneasy leaving it too...But I'm just paranoid about everything, so don't base your choice on me! LOL
Jess

sweet7696 signature
Dog Mom?? You bet!!
Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-24-02 , 07:54 PM

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Gilbert HELP!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-24-02 , 07:57 PM

Can you please delete the dupes? The site wigged out on me when I tried to post.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 96
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-24-02 , 08:07 PM

Quote:
Should I leave it with Sandro, and what precautions can I/should I take???

If I were you, I would. He was recommended to you by Maurice (he's a DTer, right?). Are there alternate jewelers you can turn to? Maybe there's a DT jeweler in your area.

As far as precautions goes, what are you concerns? Damage to the stone? Poor workmanship? Clarify this, so I can give you relevant input.

I understand your frustration with your setting. If I were you, I would be frustrated, too, as I consider the setting as important as the diamond itself.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old buttercup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
buttercup is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-24-02 , 08:13 PM

eden-
you already know how i feel about this. you asked maurice to make you your ring, it's maurice's responsibility to make sure it ends up being what you wanted, not sandro's.
the diamond is definitely crooked. and although we cannot see the exposed girdle from the pic, that would drive me up the wall.
i think you should send it back to maurice. if he wants to send it to sandro, that's his business. it makes me mad that you are the one that had to make a special trip to this guy sandro after not hearing back from him for weeks.
from everything i've heard, maurice is a very trustworthy vendor, and i'd like to think this was all a big misunderstanding. i'm sure he will do whatever is necessary to fix this ring...at least i hope he does.

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
moediamonds is on a distinguished road

my fault...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-24-02 , 09:34 PM

Eden is correct about the two of us not being on the "same page" from the beginning.
I should have taken her around the district or shown pictures and point out exactly what needed to be done before beginning the project.
Although the new pictures have a diamond about 1/2 the size of Eden's, a small bezel can still be placed on the current ring to look similar to the other picture.
The reason why I offered a close family friend of mine was that I no longer frequent NYC.
I was honest with Eden by telling her that I have complete confidence in Sandro's ability to correct the issue for me, instead of keeping it "behind the scenes" so to speak.
Nonetheless, I feel that my reputation here on DT has been slightly scarred and all I can do is offer my sincere apologies for the misunderstanding.
Most importantly, serious changes have been made so that this never happens again.
Hopefully, some day, I can acheive my high reputation once again.
Thanks.

Old GIA

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
GIA is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-24-02 , 11:06 PM

moediamonds.com

I don't think your reputation has been scarred at all. The fact that you made an error makes you only human. The important thing is that you are ensuring that Eden gets the ring she wants. I have no doubt that you will not be satisfied unless she is 100% satisfied with her ring.

Eden,

I've been so looking forward to seeing your ring. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm sure it will turn out gorgeous in the end

GIA signature
Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-25-02 , 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by empresseva
As far as precautions goes, what are you concerns? Damage to the stone? Poor workmanship? Clarify this, so I can give you relevant input.

I understand your frustration with your setting. If I were you, I would be frustrated, too, as I consider the setting as important as the diamond itself.

Thank you Eva. The thought of more poor workmanship is causing me a fair amount of anxiety. And I am nervous about handing over my ring to a guy I don't know at all. I have only Maurice's word that this fellow is trustworthy and will do a good job. Well, I trusted Maurice to do a good job, and he didn't. Now I have to trust his friend on only his say so. I would like to think that he is honest and will give me back the same diamond, but what if I am unhappy with his craftsmanship also? What then?

I don't get the feeling that Sandro is really thrilled to be saddled with this project, especially since he can't even be bothered reading my emails. I feel awkward, since I'm not paying him, (he's doing this as a favor to Maurice.) so I feel like I have no leverage to insist on anything.

This whole thing has been so stressful. It was very uncomfortable for me to tell Maurice that I was not happy with the quality of his setting, and I still feel awful about the whole thing. I wrote to Maurice 2 months ago, after agonizing over it for about a week. I'm been so frustrated with trying to get it fixed, and not enjoying my e-ring as I would like. I refrained from mentioning my problems here because I didn't want to discredit Maurice on DT. I don't like bringing it up, but really I just felt that I could not deal with this on my own any longer. I need DT feedback just like everyone else.

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: my fault...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-25-02 , 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moediamonds.com
I was honest with Eden by telling her that I have complete confidence in Sandro's ability to correct the issue for me, instead of keeping it "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Maurice I do not understand what you mean by this at all.

My problem is that I have lost my confidence in you, so your confidence in your friend does not inspire my confidence in him. We may have had a misunderstanding about the bezel, but that does not explain why the diamond is so crooked in the setting.

I hope you are right, and that Sandro will make it just the way I want it. This whole mess has been making me miserable.

Old addicted

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
addicted is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-25-02 , 05:01 PM

E, i would be just as nervous as you are about sending the stone to sandro. and for the same reasons (you're not paying him, hence no leverage, and it wasn't his choice to take this project on, but rather a favor for a friend). up til now he hasn't gained your confidence. i dont think i'd take my stone to him. i think instead i'd send it back to maurice and have him fix it. your original 'contract' was with maurice and he should handle having the issue resolved. he's responded to this thread, so he's aware of your misgivings. if he's interested in regaining his reputation, i would think that he'd rebuild your ring. i agree completely with buttercup...it's maurice's responsibility and he needs to take the appropriate steps.

if you're still uncomfortable you may want to look into another DT vendor. they'd probably be willing to use the platinum you have and that may allow them to not charge you quite so much. but then what to do about the money you've already paid maurice??

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-25-02 , 06:02 PM

Thank you for your comments addicted. Unfortunately I would also worry about sending it back to Maurice. He would have to completely re-do it, and I don't think I could cope with going through that all over again.

I do feel a bit stuck -- I have thought about taking it elsewhere, but I do want to believe that customer satisfaction is important enough to Maurice to make this right no matter what. And I would prefer not to have to pay twice for the same ring.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 96
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 04-25-02 , 08:17 PM

Emachell,

Contact Maurice, and express your concerns.

If he isn't willing to accommodate you, go to another jeweler.

I notice you're from NYC. Are you close to Jonathan of GOG? Maybe he can help you. Of course, you would have to compensate him for services, but if he can help you, you would have the ring you always wanted, and not be frustrated anymore.

I empathize with you. You're in a wearisome situation.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old Boomerang

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Boomerang is a glorious beacon of light Boomerang is a glorious beacon of light Boomerang is a glorious beacon of light Boomerang is a glorious beacon of light Boomerang is a glorious beacon of light Boomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Moediamonds...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 04-26-02 , 12:48 AM

Quote:
moediamonds.com :
all I can do is offer my sincere apologies for the misunderstanding.

Is this really all you can do? Clearly Eden is very unhappy with the setting you made for her and I would hope that someone with your skills and reputation will be more proactive in fixing the problem.

Since Eden is hesitant about sending the ring to Sandro (which I can understand), are you not in any way obligated to come up with an alternative solution?

In an unsolicited email you sent me on an unrelated matter, you said you were "always happy to help out consumers who need help." Well, now you have a customer who needs you to work with her so that she can actually get the ring of her dreams.

I sincerely hope that this matter can be resolved. Although you have been recommended many times by DT'ers as a skilled professional, I personally would hesitate to ask you to make me a setting if you just leave this hanging.

Please, the onus is on you to satisfy an unhappy customer. I wait eagerly to see a happy ending.

Old Polyhex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
Polyhex is on a distinguished road

Early March
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-26-02 , 01:24 AM

I know Emachell has been in dialogue with Maurice regarding the problem with her ring since at least early March. I can imagine that he is a very busy person, but after all this time, is the best solution really to ask Emachell to give her ring to a jeweler she's never met, and won't be paying? I think it puts her in a very uncomfortable situation: Sandro may not be thrilled with doing the repairs, since it's an unpaid favor to Maurice, and Emachell may not have much recourse if he does a poor job, since she is not paying him. Is Maurice taking responsibility for Sandro's work? I think it's quite understandable for her to be concerned about this: an engagement ring is not an ordinary piece of jewelry.

Maurice, I am certain that your good reputation on DT has been well-earned, and that you will continue to improve on your good name. But perhaps you haven't looked at this from Emachell's perspective: this is her engagement ring. It is probably the most important and sentimental piece of jewelry she owns. While you may be very comfortable sending out work to Sandro or similar contacts in the city because you know them personally and are familiar with their work, Emachell is understandably very nervous. I would be.

Quote:
moediamonds.com :

I think that by this, you mean that instead of the ring travelling from Emachell -> Sandro -> Emachell, you could have privately done Emachell -> Maurice -> Sandro -> Maurice -> Emachell. If I'm correct, yes it is very honest of you to make her aware of the middleman, but it's possible she would have felt better if you had handled sending and receiving it from Sandro. That way, you would have been the one taking responsibility for his work, and she would know that you had personally inspected it and made sure that it met your own exacting standards before returning it to her.

I am also looking forward to a happy resolution.

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 04-26-02 , 02:54 AM

Emachell,
I don't have much to add here except that I totally understand how you feel and I think it's entirely justified. I too would feel very disappointed if my ring had turned out poorly, and I completely understand the trust/confidence issue. I just wanted to validate your feelings. It all leaves me with an icky feeling in my stomach and that's definitely not the feeling you want to have about your engagement ring. I do want to offer you hope though--when all of this is worked out, this will all be an unpleasant memory soon replaced by many happier occasions. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Shelby

Old mercier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
mercier will become famous soon enough

Don't get too worked up just yet,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 04-26-02 , 08:14 AM

I have faith in Maurice and his work. It does seem that there's been a lot of miscommunication and some mistakes made on his part but,give him a bit of time and he will sort everything out, I am sure

Emachell, I see what you mean about the ring. I agree that something definitely needs to be done, and I hope that you can get it resolved soon so that you will be able to fully enjoy your beautiful diamond.

If this was not a platinum setting, I would offer to have my craftsman work on it for free. However, I still defer to Maurice since this is one of his pieces and I am very sure that he can easily make it beautiful just the way you imagined it.

mercier signature

"Lord I give you my Heart, I give you my soul, I live for you alone. Every breath that I take, every moment that I'm awake, Lord have your way in me.

This is my desire, to honour you. Lord with all my heart, I worship you. All I have within me, I give you praise. All that I adore, is in you..."
Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 04-26-02 , 11:57 AM

Thank you all so much for your comments. Your support means a great deal to me. I have been very unhappy with the situation, but was reluctant to bring it public, as I did not want to embarrass Maurice.

Shelby thank you especially for validating my feelings. I have had that icky feeling in my stomach for months now. And you reminded me why this matters so much, because an e-ring is not like other jewelry. The emotional investment is greater, and so the expectation is higher.

Now I am paranoid that other DT jewelers will be reluctant to work with me, that they will see me as too picky and difficult. It is true that I have a sharply critical eye, and high standards. I am very up front about that. I don't want to settle for mediocre, and I am not easily pleased. But I'd like to think that those who share my high standards and take pride in their work would feel rewarded by my satisfaction.

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 04-26-02 , 05:13 PM

I have been advised privately to ask Maurice for my money back, and move on. I would be very grateful for some feedback on this idea.

I am considering giving the Sandro option a chance before giving up completely, but I'm unsure. And I haven't heard back from Maurice today on whether Sandro has looked at the picture and read my email.

Old buttercup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
buttercup is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 04-26-02 , 05:45 PM

Geez Eden, I don't know
Actually, I'm surprised that maurice hasn't responded to this thread again with his own advice or suggestions. He's usually so helpful and attentive to DTers.
I don't know about Sandro. Even if he is capable, he obviously has not taken the time to respond to your emails in a timely fashion, so I don't know if you could really depend on him.
I still think you should just mail the ring back to maurice. I remember you telling me that the silver sample he sent you was much nicer than the platinum version, so he obviously has an idea of what you want. I think you should give him the opportunity to fix this for you. Everyone makes mistakes. If he is genuinely unable to make this ring for you because of other time commitments or whatever, then it's totally appropriate for you to ask for your money back. I'm sure you could find someone locally to take the diamond out, and you could send him the platinum back so he could reuse it, and then you could start over.
I say first give Maurice (not Sandro) a chance to fix/redo it. If he can't, then get your money back and take your diamond somewhere else.
Juan, Ray, JewelryExpert...they're all pretty particular about their work, and I don't think any one of them would be reluctant to work with you because of this.
Don't worry, this will work out. I know you've been going through these awful feelings about this for months, but hesitated to say anything. This is your engagement ring, it's the most important piece of jewelry you'll ever own. It should be perfect, and I'm sure it will be.
If Maurice is unable to fix the ring himself, I'm sure he'll tell you honestly, and will probably offer to refund your money back. He has gained a good reputation on DT, and there's no way he could have done that by ignoring unhappy customers.

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 04-27-02 , 12:45 AM

No word at all from Maurice today. Haven't heard from him since Wednesday in fact. And no response to the email I sent yesterday.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic forgot the picture by reneansley
Up a Topic forgot the picture posted in DIAMONDS by reneansley
Older:
Down a Topic íLos Cumplea os felices by Bella
Down a Topic WELL and the winner is posted in Jewelry Contests by Gin