Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old curtsinger

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
curtsinger is on a distinguished road

Any thoughts on these rings?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-02-12 , 05:35 PM

So I'm a little lost... trying to buy an engagement ring for my special lady but unfortunately my lack of knowledge in the area has me second guessing myself.

I thought about buying online but I'm too worried about the ramifications of that (getting something that doesn't look at all like I wanted) so I've been hitting up some stores around Los Angeles.

I'm focused mainly on antique rings, just really like the concept and styles -- and have recently started looking a lot at rings with sapphire accents.

Budget wise, we're looking between 12k-17k, give or take.

So -- all that aside! I found a couple of rings that I'm digging am curious any thoughts.

#1 has a 'cape' colored diamond. As I understand it, it should be considered around an 'M' color rating. The biggest question I have is whether or not that is even 'desirable' in general or if it's sort of a cast off and considered a lesser stone. It's a large rock (2.3 karats) with a VS2 rating in a very nice setting for around $13k (with a nice sapphire stripe on either side).

There is a 2nd diamond I'm liking as well, little bit smaller (1.84 karats, SI1) for around $16k. It's a much whiter diamond with an 'H' rating and also in a great setting with a nice sapphire accent as well.

Both rings a from the 1920s.

Do you guys have any thoughts on these? Do these numbers add up at all or am I barking up the wrong tree? Not sure how much you can tell by just the pictures but hopefully they help.

I appreciate any help or thoughts!! Thanks!!

-curtsinger

Attached Images
photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old odbg

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
odbg is on a distinguished road

Re: Any thoughts on these rings?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-05-12 , 04:55 AM

an m color rating will show a very obvious yellow tinge for a diamond above 1 carat. If you like warm colors, by all means go with that rating. Ultimately, it is your own decision and preference (or your lady's one that counts)

if you are asking in terms of performance, we can't really tell in terms of such pictures. You need to provide more details like angles or aset/ideal scope pictures,

Old curtsinger

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
curtsinger is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-20-12 , 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbg
an m color rating will show a very obvious yellow tinge for a diamond above 1 carat. If you like warm colors, by all means go with that rating. Ultimately, it is your own decision and preference (or your lady's one that counts)

if you are asking in terms of performance, we can't really tell in terms of such pictures. You need to provide more details like angles or aset/ideal scope pictures,

Unfortunately, these are the only pics I have but I appreciate your response. I like both of these rings a lot but still not sure if they are priced appropriately for the diamonds.

Old jackofdiamonds

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
jackofdiamonds is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-04-12 , 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsinger
So I'm a little lost... trying to buy an engagement ring for my special lady but unfortunately my lack of knowledge in the area has me second guessing myself.

I thought about buying online but I'm too worried about the ramifications of that (getting something that doesn't look at all like I wanted) so I've been hitting up some stores around Los Angeles.

I'm focused mainly on antique rings, just really like the concept and styles -- and have recently started looking a lot at rings with sapphire accents.

Budget wise, we're looking between 12k-17k, give or take.

So -- all that aside! I found a couple of rings that I'm digging am curious any thoughts.

#1 has a 'cape' colored diamond. As I understand it, it should be considered around an 'M' color rating. The biggest question I have is whether or not that is even 'desirable' in general or if it's sort of a cast off and considered a lesser stone. It's a large rock (2.3 karats) with a VS2 rating in a very nice setting for around $13k (with a nice sapphire stripe on either side).

There is a 2nd diamond I'm liking as well, little bit smaller (1.84 karats, SI1) for around $16k. It's a much whiter diamond with an 'H' rating and also in a great setting with a nice sapphire accent as well.

Both rings a from the 1920s.

Do you guys have any thoughts on these? Do these numbers add up at all or am I barking up the wrong tree? Not sure how much you can tell by just the pictures but hopefully they help.

I appreciate any help or thoughts!! Thanks!!

-curtsinger

Those prices are pretty fair prices as far as I can tell from the information you provided.

you may find that buying the one with a higher clarity rating comes with less buyers remorse.

Old Icerocc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Icerocc is infamous around these parts Icerocc is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-11-13 , 01:40 PM

This setting is one of a kind, so beautiful. I think you should go with the smaller diamond with H color.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Black Diamonds by ilmzomz
Up a Topic The perfect Canadian gift posted in Wedding Talk by mebin01
Older:
Down a Topic Should I Buy This Diamond Advice Please by MStarling
Down a Topic 6 month old 14k white gold broken prong lost stone posted in JEWELRY by MaryUlm