Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Lou

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Lou is on a distinguished road

Looking for the truth
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-13-12 , 01:28 PM

Hi...
I'm new to this forum, but so happy with the Q&A I just read that I wanted to ask my own question:

Is Standard Diamond Services a legitimate service? I see that they are not bbb accredited. It seems like that would matter when dealing in diamonds. ??

There was a ring given as an engagement ring in our family and it came with an appraisal from Standard Diamond Services for $4,287.00

"Diamond ring consisting of 3 princess cut & 6 round brilliant cut natural diamonds. Weight in total approx. 1.75ct, color (H), clarity II). All diamonds are set in a solid 14K white gold mounting stamped "14k" for authenticity.
Weight in total is approx. 3.2 grams.

But it has this disclaimer at the very bottom of the paper that says:
"We assume no liability with respect to any action that may be taken on the basis of the appraisal."

What's all that about?? Seems very shady.
Could this ring actually not be a diamond?

Just looking for the truth. Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou :-)

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old QuantumDiamonds

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
QuantumDiamonds is on a distinguished road

Re: Looking for the truth
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-18-12 , 10:54 AM

Hi Lou, you'll find that all appraisal companies will have a line like this at the bottom of their reports or something very similar. This is because the appraisal is the opinion of the individual who is valuing it. If another professional appraised it, then the figure might be slightly different, higher or lower. That's all it is, nothing to worry about as such I don't think.

Old Lou

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-18-12 , 11:47 AM

Ok, thank you. Altho, when looking at an appraisal report for another ring, and a different company, I didn't see a disclaimer. Thus, my inquiry. :-?

Perhaps some do, and some don't.

Also, are you able to assess the ring by my description? Or would you need to see it?

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 479
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=244, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-18-12 , 01:35 PM

Hi. In case you're not aware appraisals are not grading reports and are often simply a sales tool for the seller; the "values" can be arbitrary. I can tell you that the ring is not worth $4287.
As for the legitimacy of the company?? hmmm...
I tried to do a web search but my browser security blocks the site; to me that's a concern for credibility. The company has been mentioned here in the past so do a Search (put the company name in quotes).
What exactly are you trying to determine??

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Last edited by irish : 04-18-12 at 01:45 PM.
Old Lou

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-18-12 , 01:52 PM

Irish,
Thank you! I have tried to look them up...that's why I've sought help here. I cant find much more than an address, which is the same address as an online seller's address, mentioned in someone else's inquiry (which is how I found out about this forum), and she was advised against purchasing her ring in question from the same appraiser!
I had been searching on my own before. Seemed off, thus the inquiry here.

But, I'm mostly interested in the quality of the ring (diamonds) itself. I have no idea how to read an appraisal. I'd be interested to know what the general consensus is about the value of this ring:

"Diamond ring consisting of 3 princess cut & 6 round brilliant cut natural diamonds. Weight in total approx. 1.75ct, color (H), clarity II). All diamonds are set in a solid 14K white gold mounting stamped "14k" for authenticity.
Weight in total is approx. 3.2 grams"

I would have guessed that this ring was not worth the appraised value of $4287. I'm guessing more like in the mid-hundreds..??

All input is truly appreciated,
~Lou

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-18-12 , 02:15 PM

to help focus this--do you know where the ring was purchased? Was it a chain jeweler like Kays, Zales?

irish signature

Old Lou

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-18-12 , 03:23 PM

It was purchased online. Ebay perhaps.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-18-12 , 09:43 PM

ok did some more research. Here is a past thread that mentions Standard Diamond Services.
As you'll read the potential buyer was given advice that the value was probably too good to be true.
And to add to this info I did a WHOIS search on the site and discovered that Pompeii3, the ebay/Amazon seller owns the Standard Diamond Services website!!! Conflict of interest MUCH!! Their appraisal value is self serving AND btw the reason for their disclaimer.
edited to add: To give benefit of the doubt to this organization I didn't do other research to see if they inform buyers of the connection.
The ring you have has low quality diamonds so it's price should have been low. Looking at their stuff on Amazon they sell a lot of I clarity but an unsuspecting buyer wouldn't necessarily know that given the sparse info they provide with each piece.
Personally I would hesitate doing business with this seller.

Irish

irish signature

Last edited by irish : 04-18-12 at 10:11 PM.
Old Lou

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-19-12 , 10:58 AM

Irish...
You have helped me more than you know! I had a gut feeling, and you confirmed it.
Thank you so much for all the research you did to help find the truth I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it.
It's comforting to know there is such a reputable place to ask questions and get honest answers. Thanks for the integrity.
~Lou

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-20-12 , 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
Irish...
You have helped me more than you know! I had a gut feeling, and you confirmed it.
Thank you so much for all the research you did to help find the truth I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it.
It's comforting to know there is such a reputable place to ask questions and get honest answers. Thanks for the integrity.
~Lou

I'm glad the info was of help Lou.
Irish

irish signature

Old Lou

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-20-12 , 12:12 PM

Hi again...
I hope I'm not beating this topic into the ground!
But, as I spent the better part of the day yesterday gathering information, thanks to the help on this forum, I began to have more questions.
Is it possible, given the fact that Standard Diamond Services is NOT an independent appraisal co, but in fact owned by Pompeii3, that the "appraisal" of this ring is actually implying something that's not true?
My findings of the appraisal indicate that this company banks on the fact that most folks wouldn't check them out, or wouldn't care once they did...so they are able to use professional sounding words and stay within the minimal requirements of what's legal.
IF folks find that their gemstones are simply low quality diamonds (which they apparently are) perhaps most would just settle for that.
But is it possible that the low quality 'diamonds' in this ring are actually diamond simulant...appraised AS low quality diamonds??

My question: Can they do that?

Two of the 'state of the art' instruments listed on the appraisal are Stone & Acid and Leverage gauge. Are these standard in appraising diamonds? The other instruments listed seem to be standard. But this report gives no mention/indication of the GIA...so I thought I should ask.

I apologize for appearing anal...but without the ring, I am unable to take it to an appraiser myself...or I would.
I am trying to educate myself, based on limited information, and haven't been able to Google the right question to get the answer I'm looking for.

Continuing my search,
Lou

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-22-12 , 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
Hi again...
But, as I spent the better part of the day yesterday gathering information, thanks to the help on this forum, I began to have more questions.
Is it possible, given the fact that Standard Diamond Services is NOT an independent appraisal co, but in fact owned by Pompeii3, that the "appraisal" of this ring is actually implying something that's not true?
My findings of the appraisal indicate that this company banks on the fact that most folks wouldn't check them out, or wouldn't care once they did...so they are able to use professional sounding words and stay within the minimal requirements of what's legal.
IF folks find that their gemstones are simply low quality diamonds (which they apparently are) perhaps most would just settle for that.
But is it possible that the low quality 'diamonds' in this ring are actually diamond simulant...appraised AS low quality diamonds??

The stated Clarity is I1 which means the diamonds are visibly included and CZ or Moissanite are Internally Flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
Two of the 'state of the art' instruments listed on the appraisal are Stone & Acid and Leverage gauge. Are these standard in appraising diamonds? The other instruments listed seem to be standard. But this report gives no mention/indication of the GIA...so I thought I should ask.

I don't know anything about this company's appraisal system--there are

I apologize for appearing anal...but without the ring, I am unable to take it to an appraiser myself...or I would.
I am trying to educate myself, based on limited information, and haven't been able to Google the right question to get the answer I'm looking for.

Continuing my search,
Lou[/QUOTE]

irish signature

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-22-12 , 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
Hi again...

The stated Clarity is I1 which means the diamonds are visibly included and CZ or Moissanite are Internally Flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou

I don't know anything about this company's appraisal system--there are

Continuing my search,
Lou[/QUOTE]

irish signature

Old AzulfineJewel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
AzulfineJewel is on a distinguished road