Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old user432wb

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
user432wb is on a distinguished road

Thoughts on this stone and older GIA Cert?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-23-11 , 03:01 PM

Hello all,

Been watching the site for a few weeks. Great education.

I have identified a 1.5ct radiant stone with a locally recommended seller but would love some expert opinion on it. He claims that his prices are really good, but if I browse the various stone selling sites his price looks reasonable but not amazing.

My questions are simple.
1) How do the specs look to you veteran users?
2) Should I be worried that the cert is almost 5 years old?
3) Am I wrong to think that $10,200 is a reasonable but not amazing price for this stone?

Would love your thoughts on the value/specs of this stone:
Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Date of Issue: February 05, 2007
Laser Inscription Registry: 15723171
CUT-CORNERED RECTANGULAR MODIFIED BRILLIANT

Measurements: 7.22 x 6.03 x 4.26 mm
Carat Weight: 1.52 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: SI1
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 70.6%
Table: 72%
Girdle: Extremely Thin to Slightly Thick
Culet: None
FINISH:

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

Thanks very much,
Bradford

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Thoughts on this stone and older GIA Cert?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-25-11 , 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user432wb
if I browse the various stone selling sites his price looks reasonable but not amazing.

Browsing various sites, looking at specs will tell you very little about what is actually available and at what prices. Many sites have their bottom price levels artificially inflated with good which are not actually available. This being done in an effort to obtain calls and upsell to the goods which are available

Quote:
1) How do the specs look to you veteran users?

The specs look good, perhaps a bit deep, but this does not tell one anything about how the actual stone will look. Looking at it in hand is the only way to really know what it looks like.

Quote:
2) Should I be worried that the cert is almost 5 years old?

No, certs are opinions and if anything they were a bit more strict as you go back in time.

Quote:
3) Am I wrong to think that $10,200 is a reasonable but not amazing price for this stone?

This seems very inexpensive for a bonafide F-SI1. It's value depends more than anything upon the grade setting inclusions and how the stone was cut. Since there is no one cut grading radiant cuts, you'll need to look at the stone, or better yet have someone who know what they're doing look at the stone and give you their opinion. If all else fails you could try and get the seller to get some analytical tests done on the stone, (ASET, Idealscope, H&A viewer, Gemex or one of the myriad other viewers), NOTHING beats your eyes however.

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic color enhanced diamonds by samuel1
Up a Topic Please help me find this ring 3 posted in General Discussion by DawnLeigh7
Older:
Down a Topic Loose diamonds on a Channel set band is this normal by diamondluvr708
Down a Topic Antique blood Red Ruby Emerald cut How much is it worth posted in GEMSTONES by sobopla