Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Tinuviel10

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Tinuviel10 is on a distinguished road

Setting sizes
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-06-11 , 08:48 PM

I just bought a beautiful 6mm princess cut sapphire to replace the CZ in my engagement ring. Unfortunately, I did not realize the setting is actually 7mm! Is it possible to set this smaller stone in my ring? The setting is set down in the ring shank, so the prongs are actually a part of the design.
What a crazy mistake!

Can anyone tell me if I can still make this work?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 262
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2042, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Setting sizes
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-07-11 , 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinuviel10
I just bought a beautiful 6mm princess cut sapphire to replace the CZ in my engagement ring. Unfortunately, I did not realize the setting is actually 7mm! Is it possible to set this smaller stone in my ring? The setting is set down in the ring shank, so the prongs are actually a part of the design.
What a crazy mistake!

Can anyone tell me if I can still make this work?

The only way to make this work is to build a gold ring under your stone which is wide enough to fit in the prongs AND narrow enough on the inside diameter to allow your ring to be seated on it. The prongs would then need to be long enough to fit over your stone to hold it in place.

You might also be able to have larger prongs made to replace the existing prongs and then the stone would fit as usual in the prongs.

The downside to either method is that you will have a gap between where your stone is and where it would be if it were the correct size. I would take it to a local bench jeweler and get their opinion on a fix for this.

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: Bench Work All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Who does repair on invisible set diamonds by MissGotRocks
Up a Topic Dimension of the Diamond cut posted in DIAMONDS by mrpayday
Older:
Down a Topic Help resetting my Engagement ring by KTrianta
Down a Topic Need Help fiinding a specific ring posted in General Discussion by ekkoj