Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old unkalledfor

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
unkalledfor is on a distinguished road

Re-sizing Platinum Ring advice
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-27-11 , 03:10 PM

Hello All--

I Need to re-size my fiance's platinum engagement ring from a Size 7 to a Size 6... Reading around has made me pretty nervous about the re-sizing process.. I've read horror stories about discolored diamonds, misshaped settings, diamonds falling out, etc..

I'm obviously no expert in this department and would like some advice in what to look for, ask for, and look out for at a jeweler when getting quotes. I've read that I should find a master jeweler with a laser, rather than torch, but that the laser is much more expensive.

Also, if any of you have recommended jewelers in the Miami, FL area.. or even in the general South Florida area that would be great.

Here's a picture of the ring... If you need more information or pictures in order to help me, let me know and I'll take some more pictures. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's an idea of how much it needs to be sized down:

Attached Images
unkalledfor_9tlvko.jpg unkalledfor_2n8zgo5.jpg

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2528, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Re-sizing Platinum Ring advice
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-30-11 , 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkalledfor
I Need to re-size my fiance's platinum engagement ring from a Size 7 to a Size 6... Reading around has made me pretty nervous about the re-sizing process.. I've read horror stories about discolored diamonds, misshaped settings, diamonds falling out, etc..

I'm obviously no expert in this department and would like some advice in what to look for, ask for, and look out for at a jeweler when getting quotes. I've read that I should find a master jeweler with a laser, rather than torch, but that the laser is much more expensive.

Sizing that ring with a torch should not be a problem at all and when done properly with a high temperature platinum solder you should be unable to see where the sizing joint is. The problems that occur with platinum sizing come about when the bench person doesn't have much experience and either gets the small diamonds in the band too hot or uses the wrong type of solder in making the joint.

Loose stones in bands which are bead set, (as yours is), are easily tightened and all competent bench jewelers will check and fix this before letting it off their bench.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest and don't know anyone in Miami, so can't help there.

Michael_E signature
Old unkalledfor

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-30-11 , 01:08 PM

Thanks for your response Michael.. You gave me a bit more peace of mind about the process.. I just need to find an experienced jeweler now..

One more question, about how much is a fair price for a sizing job? I want to get someone good, but want to make sure they're not ripping me off either..

Thanks again for the help!

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2528, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-30-11 , 02:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response Michael.. You gave me a bit more peace of mind about the process.. I just need to find an experienced jeweler now..

One more question, about how much is a fair price for a sizing job? I want to get someone good, but want to make sure they're not ripping me off either..

Thanks again for the help!

Prices are so variable around the country that it would be hard to guess about what you will be asked to pay. A rough guess would be somewhere in the $80 to $120 range, with the jeweler keeping the small bit of scrap that remains. Whatever you do, don't ask for the scrap back on a job like this. Most of it ends up as metal powder from the sawing process and what remains is worth too little to take the time to keep track of. Most bench people who are asked to return small scrap bits will increase the cost to you and grumble a bit when asked to do this.

Michael_E signature
Old MarcKnobloch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
MarcKnobloch is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-01-11 , 12:40 AM

The biggest concern with sizing the ring shown in the picture will indeed be the diamonds on the shank (the ring) popping out. This will occur when the after the bottom of the ring is cut and pulled inward to decrease the ring size.

If the ring needs to be re-sized from a size 7 to a size 6, why not have a jeweler add a ring guard inside the bottom of the ring. This will help to make the ring smaller and it flexes for extra comfort. The guard looks a little like a crescent moon and should not be confused with those small sizing balls that you sometimes see.

Find someone trustworthy in your area and you are good to go! I would be please to recomment someone to you in the Florida area but, I do not know any jewelers for this type of work there.

Best of luck!

Marc Knobloch

Old softwaretester

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
softwaretester is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-02-11 , 04:20 AM

Go to a trusted independant jeweler who does their repairs on-site. It's not that big of a deal. It's a little pricey but a good jeweler won't leave your metal marked.

Good Luck

Martin

softwaretester signature
Old unkalledfor

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-03-11 , 09:02 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.. Here's a quick update:

I went to a recommended jeweler and they were very re-assuring of the process. The girl who attended us was very helpful and when I wanted more details on the process, she even brought out one of their master jewelers (they have 3 on site) and he basically told me exactly what they would do step by step. He assured us that he's worked on lots of platinum settings, much of which were more complicated than ours. He will double check all of the diamonds are secure and re-tighten\re-set any that might loosen with the process.

They are doing it for $100 which is very reasonable considering the quality of their service so far (and the fact that everything in Miami is very expensive!). We are crossing our fingers that it will come out perfect! My beautiful bride-to-be is so excited to finally be able to wear her engagement ring and show it off

Old JackJacksion

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
JackJacksion is on a distinguished road

Diamond engagement rings
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-04-11 , 07:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys.. Here's a quick update:

I went to a recommended jeweler and they were very re-assuring of the process. The girl who attended us was very helpful and when I wanted more details on the process, she even brought out one of their master jewelers (they have 3 on site) and he basically told me exactly what they would do step by step. He assured us that he's worked on lots of platinum settings, much of which were more complicated than ours. He will double check all of the diamonds are secure and re-tighten\re-set any that might loosen with the process.

They are doing it for $100 which is very reasonable considering the quality of their service so far (and the fact that everything in Miami is very expensive!). We are crossing our fingers that it will come out perfect! My beautiful bride-to-be is so excited to finally be able to wear her engagement ring and show it off

Okay,
So all the best for your bright future, keep the weight of the ring in mind.

Old unkalledfor

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-10-11 , 09:25 PM

The ring came out awesome! You can't even see a seam at the bottom.. I'll try and get a picture, if only I could get my fiance to part with it for a few minutes! haha

Old QuantumDiamonds

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
QuantumDiamonds is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 10-17-11 , 02:48 PM

To be honest, the best sizing work on platinum rings is done by lasers nowadays so ask if this is an option. For a single size reduction from 7 to 6, it's not a big deal. I'd say anything around the $100 mark for this job would be acceptable.

Old johnbreto1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
johnbreto1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-02-12 , 07:46 AM

If you tell us the general area in which you live, we may be able to suggest stores. Quest Fine Jewelers in VA has a laser welder.

Old Gemsetter

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Gemsetter is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-13-12 , 06:32 PM

Good to hear it worked out for you both. Stunning ring!

Gemsetter signature
Diamonds are forever, and I can cut them to match!
http://www.gemsetter.com/
Old Icerocc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Icerocc is infamous around these parts Icerocc is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-21-13 , 03:59 PM

Amazingg ringg!!! Looks incredible!

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Here s the ultimate ice cream sundae by irish
Up a Topic New Sapphire Ring Purchase posted in MEMBERS COLLECTIONS by Jewelry92
Older:
Down a Topic Can this be resized from 7 to 5 by MxMILLERx25
Down a Topic South Sea Pearl in rose gold setting posted in MEMBERS COLLECTIONS by ELT