Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old emilykrys

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
emilykrys is on a distinguished road

Question about Alexandrite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-14-11 , 08:42 PM

My grandmother left me with this ring that she said was from the early 1800's and from what she said the main stone is called Alexandrite. I'm kind of wondering whether I need to have it insured or not so I was wondering if anyone has any idea how much it would be worth its about 15 carats or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated

emilykrys signature
Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2520, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Question about Alexandrite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-17-11 , 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykrys
My grandmother left me with this ring that she said was from the early 1800's and from what she said the main stone is called Alexandrite. I'm kind of wondering whether I need to have it insured or not so I was wondering if anyone has any idea how much it would be worth its about 15 carats or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated

This comes up a lot and the answer is that the stone is probably not a natural alexandrite, but rather a man made sapphire made to change color like an alexandrite. A natural alexandrite of 15 carats would most likely be sitting in a museum somewhere and be considered to be worth several million dollars. A synthetic stone of the same size can be had for under $100. I would suggest taking the stone to a jeweler/gemologist and letting them look at it seems that at least 1/2 of the population of any city has inherited a priceless alexandrite from their grandmother. I've seen two in the last month and both were large, clean and had great stories. Unfortunately large and clean are not two words that are usually used together when describing alexandrite and after looking at these it was obvious that they were man made. Best of luck on yours, you may have that one in a million that's real!

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Sapphires Rubies Emerald by Emeraldsea
Up a Topic Experienced Freelance CAD jewelry designers Needed posted in Job Opportunities by rch25
Older:
Down a Topic Under Cover by EdwardBristol
Down a Topic Exquisite engagement ring posted in Greet New Members by vanessaBrandt