Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old MStarling

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 0
MStarling is on a distinguished road

Should I Buy This Diamond? Advice Please
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-05-11 , 03:59 PM

Hi everyone,

Im about to purchase a .87 carat, Ideal cut, color F, VS1, Princess cut diamond. Polish- Excellent Symmetry- Very Good. It is a Solitare Princess cut. The setting i picked is a 2mm knife edge setting in Platinum for $4,500.. im hoping i found a good deal through James Allen.

I went with the .87 because i want to get her a top grade diamond, while staying in my budget of course. I keep hearing that quality is more important then quantity, which i myself believe as well. So what do you think, will the .87 be a very noticeable size difference from a 1 carat or even a .90?

The diamonds measurements are 5.12*5.07*3.74. Depth- 79.7% Table- 69.0% Are this good measurements for the carot weight?

As for the clarity and color.. Will a F color look as good as a E or D color? How about a G? The diamond is an ideal cut.. but how ideal is ideal at James Allen? Im looking for the most fire and brilliance possible.

Will this diamond have any inclusions noticeable to the eye? I didn't think a VS1 would, but just to be sure.

It is important to me that the diamond is VERY WHITE with NO visible INCLUSIONS. NO FLOR. and a BEAUTIFUL CUT.

A James Allen worker told me this ring will have a "crushed iced appearance" Is this a good thing? How do i know if the rings icy appearance wont look more slushy and run down?

Has anyone tried the Knife edge 2mm solitare setting? I was going to get the 1.5mm, but someone told me that might be too small and could break or bend easily. What do you think?

Lastly, since im purchasing this ring from James Allen. I want to know if they are reputable? Im glad i can see a picture of this ring, but im still so nervous!

i appreciate any advice people can give! Thank you!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Miranda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Miranda is on a distinguished road

Re: Should I Buy This Diamond? Advice Please
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-14-11 , 01:54 AM

I believe that James Allen is a reputable jewelry shop.
When it comes to color, you mentioned - D, E, F, G.
D-E @ around .87 carat would be slightly expensive.
So it would be better to go for F-G with higher clarity.
Which is more important to you clarity or colour?
As you prefer VS1- you won't see any visible inclusion.

Lastly, I think you made a pretty good choice.

Old Diamondtrain

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Diamondtrain is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-15-11 , 01:41 AM

I would agree that JamesAllen is reputable but unfortunately, I also agree that the price is a bit high.

I've sold many many diamonds and I believe that the SI-1 is the best value. As long as a diamond is eye-clean face-up I don't much care what the inclusions I can't see are. An SI-1 will look just like a VVS once it's set in the ring why pay more just to know they aren't there. The better the clarity, the more rare the diamond, the more expensive the price so when you buy a VS diamond, you're paying for the rarity.

A colorless diamond (DEF) will all look the same, so you shouldn't be able to tell a D from an F.... if they in fact are truly those colors.

In my opinion, the cut makes the diamond. A good cut can make a poor color look better or can hide visible inclusions. Look for a diamond with a great cut. I can help you choose if you'd like.

Old MStarling

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
MStarling is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-18-11 , 03:08 PM

thanks so much for anwsering my questions.. I went with the .87 vs1 f color and i love it.. one small issue is how low the prongs are set.. the ring isnt set very high at all.. it almost makes the diamond look a tiny bit smaller. Regardless, i love my ring and i guess the low setting helps protect the ring and my one year old daughter from being nicked! thanks again!

Old megandansot

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
megandansot is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-25-12 , 06:01 AM

I got the knife edge solitaire in 2mm from James Allen as well and I absolutely LOVE it! I was considering going with the 2.5mm but because my diamond was .6 carats, I was told that the thinner band would make the diamond look bigger and it really does. I've had people ask me if it's .75 carats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStarling
Hi everyone,

Im about to purchase a .87 carat, Ideal cut, color F, VS1, Princess cut diamond. Polish- Excellent Symmetry- Very Good. It is a Solitare Princess cut. The setting i picked is a 2mm knife edge setting in Platinum for $4,500.. im hoping i found a good deal through James Allen.

I went with the .87 because i want to get her a top grade diamond, while staying in my budget of course. I keep hearing that quality is more important then quantity, which i myself believe as well. So what do you think, will the .87 be a very noticeable size difference from a 1 carat or even a .90?

The diamonds measurements are 5.12*5.07*3.74. Depth- 79.7% Table- 69.0% Are this good measurements for the carot weight?

As for the clarity and color.. Will a F color look as good as a E or D color? How about a G? The diamond is an ideal cut.. but how ideal is ideal at James Allen? Im looking for the most fire and brilliance possible.

Will this diamond have any inclusions noticeable to the eye? I didn't think a VS1 would, but just to be sure.

It is important to me that the diamond is VERY WHITE with NO visible INCLUSIONS. NO FLOR. and a BEAUTIFUL CUT.

A James Allen worker told me this ring will have a "crushed iced appearance" Is this a good thing? How do i know if the rings icy appearance wont look more slushy and run down?

Has anyone tried the Knife edge 2mm solitare setting? I was going to get the 1.5mm, but someone told me that might be too small and could break or bend easily. What do you think?

Lastly, since im purchasing this ring from James Allen. I want to know if they are reputable? Im glad i can see a picture of this ring, but im still so nervous!

i appreciate any advice people can give! Thank you!

Old odbg

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
odbg is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-10-12 , 10:30 PM

Make sure you request ASET images from jamesallen.com

Compare them to to ASET images here... http://onlinediamondbuyingguide. c...-a-Diamond.html

This will give you a better idea of the optical performance for the princess

Old Miranda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Miranda is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-10-12 , 01:12 AM

So did you get that diamond?

Old rajeevsharma

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
rajeevsharma is on a distinguished road

Online Diamond jewellery
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-26-12 , 06:56 AM

All things are good but in case of price it is too high. Compare all diamond rings, pendent etc prices

Old rajeevsharma

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
rajeevsharma is on a distinguished road

Should I Buy This Diamond? Advice Please
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-05-12 , 07:40 AM

James Allen is trustful brand in diamond jewellery. It was founded in 1998 by James Allen Schultz and his wife Michele. You can purchase any type of jewellery without any fears.

Thanks

Old Icerocc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Icerocc is infamous around these parts Icerocc is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-11-13 , 01:17 PM

I also agree with quality over quantity. You should definitely get the princess cut diamond. I think the setting is a bit expensive.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Any thoughts on these rings by curtsinger
Up a Topic 6 month old 14k white gold broken prong lost stone posted in JEWELRY by MaryUlm
Older:
Down a Topic I need help with a diamond appraisal for E Ring by jonjonengland
Down a Topic My yogo sapphire collection posted in JEWELRY by neo125