Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old finesse321

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
finesse321 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-15-02 , 04:11 AM

I'm a newbie here. Don't know much about expensive watches, but a couple of friends I know are into brand names and says Rolex is the best. They also like Tag Heuer too. I've heard that Rolex comes with a lifetime warranty so if there is a scratch or if it's not working properly you can bring it back to the authorized dealer and get it fixed free of charge. Is this true? What about Tag Heuer? Do they have the same service free of charge? Also which one tells time more accurately? Are the automatic jewels the best kind? I also see some with diamonds on them which are very expensive the lowest ones with diamonds are about $5,000 for Rolex and about $2,000 for Tag Heuer. What kind of diamonds quality are on these watches do you know? What if one of the diamond bezel fell off, are they going to replace it for free? Just out of curiosity for those who own a Rolex or Tag how long does it last before you had to go in and get a repair done? Also are there any wholesale or internet discounter that sell real Rolex at a cheaper cost than the retailer stores? And if yes, how do they handle the repairs, etc. I only saw Costco selling Tag Heuer at a 30% off retail price.

Thank you for answering my questions. Sorry so long.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old kerda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
kerda is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-15-02 , 12:24 PM

I LOVE my Rolex. Only one complaint...if I take it off for more than a day the time gets screwed-up (it winds itself by wrist motion).
You can upgrade a Rolex...not sure about Tag upgrade policy.

Old FoUrIzOnly

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
FoUrIzOnly is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-15-02 , 03:37 PM

Rolex is the most recognized brand but not the "BEST". Rolex only comes with 1 year factory warranty, but some dealers will offer longer warranty.

Rolex has in-house movement, means they make their own movement. As for Tag, they use ETA (own by Swatch Group) movement.

As for accuracy..depends if you are looking for quartz or automatic. Quartz will be more accurate than automatic.

I know Rolex only use D color diamonds on their watches. Don't know about Tag.

The recommend service for Rolex is every 5 years, and service charge is about $400~$500.

Authorized dealers are not allowed to sell Rolex or Tag Heuer online. You can buy them through grey market dealers online.

If you have any more questions please e-mail me.

Rgds,
James

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 201
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-15-02 , 03:54 PM

I owned a Rolex which a friend got me in Switzerland for $120 in 1970. A few years later I traded it at a pawn shop in AZ for a new Ruger stainless steel .38 special handgun. I would not buy another since I feel they are grossly overpriced. My main watch is a Junghans atomic which is battery powered, although they make a solar cell powered one as well. It ties to the Ft Collins CO time signal and therefore is always exact. That to me is worth more than the prestige of a high end watch lilke Rolex, Jaeger, etc. The model I have has a ceramic case and band. It is not as waterproof as some other watches, but I like it.

http://www.atomictime.com

Some folks want a prestige watch and can live with it being off somewhat. I can't.

The Rodentman

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old StevL

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
StevL is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-18-02 , 02:23 PM

Tag uses F to G color diamonds and VVS2 or better. They also come with a 2 year factory warranty.

Rolex also makes models with quartz movements, and Tag also makes automatics. Quartz is more accurate and will not stop running in a day or two.

Rolex is not thought of as the *best* watch among the true high end watch lovers. It is the most recognized brand to the majority of the public and most *think* it is the most expensive watch (not true, there are many more expensive).

Old bazil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
bazil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-18-02 , 05:10 PM

Hi Finesse321,

Comparing different brands of watches is always very difficult, especially when you're talking about 2 quality brands. Both Tag and Rolex make fine watches, quartz and mechanical.

Although I wear a Rolex GMT Master II, I wouldn't claim that they're "The Best" or even that they're better than Tags. My wife would murder me, as she wears a Tag!!

I'd suggest that you do some reading on the difference between quartz and mechanical to start with, as this is such a fundamental point.

Quartz:
is going to be both more accurate, and long term is likely to be more reliable. On the same model watch, they're also going to be cheaper, if this is important.

Mechanical:
is a different kettle of fish - they can be both incredibly accurate and infuriatingly inaccurate - something which owner of inaccurate mechanical watches will tell you is part of the fun - but I've always believed they were trying more to convince themselves than me about this!!! Having said that, in the age of electronics, if you're "into" your watch it's like having a little bit of magic on your wrist! Mechanical watches are not for everyone.

As for your question on repairs. Can't answer that I'm afraid, and hope I never need to!! I would assume that the process for repairs of Rolex would be similar to their servicing - which (here in the UK) can take a few weeks to complete - and as an ongoing cost is not cheap.

I'm not sure that I'd recommend buying either off the web. Both firms take a pretty dim view of web sales - especially in an age where fakes are getting bloody hard to spot in some cases.

Overall, I think the best advice I can give - on top of the previous posters - all of whom I agree with, is that there are many, many brands out there, and when it comes to choosing from the higher quality (and higher priced) brands personal preference is as important as anything.

You should take your time though - you may be wearing it for a long, long time!

(I hope Gilbert doesn't chuck me off for recommending another forum here!)

http://www.timezone.com is an excellent forum for both high-end and general watch questions, and is populated by both professionals and enthusiasts with a ridiculous amount of knowledge!! It's well worth a visit.

Hope this helps.

Bazil

Old Gemmar

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
Gemmar is on a distinguished road

Tag Vs. Rolex.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-18-02 , 11:59 PM

I'll try to offer a little different perspective to your question. If you can readily find Tag's at a steep discount either by having their serial numbers removed and being bought on the internet or at a close-out store like costco you should wonder if tag's retail prices are grossly overstated compared to their actual quality. Tag's are a very high quality watch, but you pay about thirty percent of their retail price to supplement the lavish celebrity endorsements they pay. I know that there is a huge pre-owned market for Rolex, not counting airking or eighties datejust models. So if you would like to buy a watch and still be able to sell it for about fifty percent or more of the price you paid for it in ten years buy the rolex. If you would like to spend two thousand dollars on a watch and not be able to sell it for more then the cost of chinese restaurant take out for two in ten years buy the tag. Very few watches have the pre-owned market that Rolex does. Rolex isn't the best luxury watch on the market, it is the best mass produced luxury watch on the market, a large part is because they will always carry the intrinsic value associated with their name. Accuracy is a moot point considering you can buy a quartz watch at a dollar store which will probably be almost as accurate as a tag quartz. Come to think of it you could probably buy two thousand for the same price. I honestly don't think that accuracy is a serious consideration when you are talking about watches that are thousands of dollars. I collect watches and view them as nothing more than jewelry. It doesn't matter what watch I am wearing if someone asks me for the CORRECT time I'll give them the time off of my cell phone which displays the same time as the atomic watch that rodentman wears. That is by far the most accurate time piece one can have,
don't mind me, I just love watches.

Ron

Old vvs1blue

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
vvs1blue is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=261, In=0

Apples-Oranges
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-21-02 , 05:45 PM

If you compared method of production, prestige, resell value, quality of materials Rolex will far outshine Tag. Read the previous post. Rolex makes "most" of their own movements, Tag purchases most of their movements from ETA. More importantly what are you looking for in a watch and how much do you want to spend? If you go to a reputable jeweler, not a behind the counter salesman, he will guide you correctly. Best Buy>Pre-owned Rolex from a reputable jeweler who will back up the watch's authenticity and service.-Good Luck

Luis A. Bouzon
Louis Alexander Jewellers
Vvs1blue.com

Old mrburns

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
mrburns is on a distinguished road

Rolex will still look great after 40 years
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-25-02 , 10:05 AM

First, consider that there are many types of watches on the market. Tag and Rolex are probably the most well known of the "prestiege" brands in the US.

I personally chose to recently wear a Rolex. My choice was based on several things. Basically, the watch was a gift from my fiancee and she wanted to ensure that I would be able to wear the watch for the rest of my life. Rolex (for better or worse) rarely changes the look of their watches. This means that a Rolex from the 1970s looks very similar to one from 2002. This appeals to me and it is a testiment to the timeless quality of the Rolex. I know that they aren't going to issue too many new Rolex models that will make mine look outdated.

With the Tag, they release newer looking models every few years. I'd say that the models are relatively good looking, but I'm always drawn to the "newer" ones, meaning that I think that I'd tire of the Tag within a few years.

You can buy a used Rolex at a good price, and sell it years later for little to no loss. The resale market for Rolex is truly amazing and was also a big factor in my decision.

Right now I own three watches:
Rolex Datejust Sainless Steel with Oyster bracelet and white gold Thunderbird (rotating) bezel with a white dial. This is my sentimental watch, and I love the look and feel of it on my wrist.

Timex Helix WRKS with temperature, barometer, altitude, and compass - plus timer, alarm, etc. My "gizmo" watch that I wear snowboarding, hiking.

Swatch that I bought when I forgot the above watch on my last trip to Europe. It tells the time, day, and date, but it's too small for my wrist and I don't like the plastic band. Still, you can't beat the price!

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 201
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-25-02 , 10:23 AM

I bought an titanium IWC Aquatimer. I am not concerned that it is not an "in house" movement since IWC completely rebuilds the ETA to its specs in terms of performance and finishing. I find the bracelet to be superior to Rolex.

I DO own a Rolex TT Oysterquartz since I got a great deal on it used without a mark on it! It is very dressy, but I prefer the IWC for daily wear.

I would also strongly consider a Breitling for a sport watch as well. I have an Aerospace and am considering a Colt Chrono super-quartz for its extreme accuracy.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old TimeIsOnMySide

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Tsavorite Garnet

My Karma
TimeIsOnMySide is on a distinguished road

Re: Rolex vs. Tag Heuer, which one is better?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 06-08-08 , 06:31 AM

Depending upon the model and the year, at least the newer models of rolex have a 72 hour battery reserve that is stored from the oyster perpetual movement.

Another option for you could be a watchwinder if you don't wear your time piece all the time.

Old TimeIsOnMySide

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 06-08-08 , 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerda
I LOVE my Rolex. Only one complaint...if I take it off for more than a day the time gets screwed-up (it winds itself by wrist motion).
You can upgrade a Rolex...not sure about Tag upgrade policy.

Depending upon the model and the year, at least the newer models of rolex have a 72 hour battery reserve that is stored from the oyster perpetual movement.

Another option for you could be a watchwinder if you don't wear your time piece all the time.

~Nick

Old TimeIsOnMySide

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 06-08-08 , 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse321
I'm a newbie here. Don't know much about expensive watches, but a couple of friends I know are into brand names and says Rolex is the best. They also like Tag Heuer too. I've heard that Rolex comes with a lifetime warranty so if there is a scratch or if it's not working properly you can bring it back to the authorized dealer and get it fixed free of charge. Is this true? What about Tag Heuer? Do they have the same service free of charge? Also which one tells time more accurately? Are the automatic jewels the best kind? I also see some with diamonds on them which are very expensive the lowest ones with diamonds are about $5,000 for Rolex and about $2,000 for Tag Heuer. What kind of diamonds quality are on these watches do you know? What if one of the diamond bezel fell off, are they going to replace it for free? Just out of curiosity for those who own a Rolex or Tag how long does it last before you had to go in and get a repair done? Also are there any wholesale or internet discounter that sell real Rolex at a cheaper cost than the retailer stores? And if yes, how do they handle the repairs, etc. I only saw Costco selling Tag Heuer at a 30% off retail price.

Thank you for answering my questions. Sorry so long.

At Jared, they send us to all of the vendor events where we have to get trained/certified to sell the time pieces that we have in our inventory. Below is a brief excerpt of some things I've learned from these meetings that I can pass on if any one is interested. Granted, I can tell from the posts on here that there is a wide knowledge-base regarding time pieces, but this is geared more towards new Swiss time piece consumers.

In response to your question: Which is better, TAG or Rolex? To begin to answer that, I generally say personal preference or aesthetic is really the most important. What good is a watch you don't find appealing to look at even though it might be water resistant to 750 meters (Keep in mind the human body implodes at that depth -Seadweller) Also, what do you want your time piece to do for you? Otherwise, it would be analogous to choosing a Mercedes or a BMW; both have superior craftsmanship, but some people swear one is better than another. After you select the style that is representative of your personality/which watch you believe looks the best, then you can get into the specifications of what each time piece does to best suit YOUR NEEDS. Don't necessarily base it upon label/status alone.

If the piece is under warranty, then yes, it is free unless careless damage to the piece is observed other than by normal wear. After the two years (three years contingent upon model) is up, you will eventually have to send it back to TAG or Rolex (determined by which time piece you own of course) for an overhaul after four years (on average). The Swiss wheel on automatics or the Oyster Perpetual Movement will need lubricated since it's a moving mechanical part and needs lubrication. Rolex and TAG are both tested by COSC (Controle Official de Suisse Chronometres) but only Rolex can say "Superlative Chronometer".
Also, once a Overhaul is done, it looses it's COSC certification since someone since has went inside the movement of the timepiece. You can get it recertified, but this is almost never done since you have to send it to Switzerland. Rolex gives another one year warranty on all parts and service done. Another down side: From the multifude of Rolex service/overhauls are generally in the price range of six to twelve hundred dollars on average, once again contingent upon the year and model the price would vary.

A good note. Rolex has appreciated in value over TAG so it is a time piece that can act as an investment as well. Especially the Presidentials with 18k bracelet, the meteroite dial, and fluted/diamond bezel.

Omega has the best craftsmanship with their co-axial time pieces. On average, an Omega, according to COSC, can function normally (-4 to +6 seconds per day) for eight years before an overhaul needs done to it. Given the price of service, wouldn't it be smarter to only have to pay once every eight years for about --general overhaul cost for an Omega is 600-800 dollars or have to pay every four to five years for a Rolex and pay upwards to a thousand dollars?

...just some things to consider that most people overlook at time of purchase. Also, another tip from my professional experience...I do not recommend at all purchasing time pieces on line. I've heard from numerous guest that came into my store that they were ripped off. If you send a time piece to TAG Heuer, Rolex, Omega, Movado, Baume & Mercier (these are some of the lines I have in my store) they will NOT return the time piece if found to be knock-offs due to copy right infringement...so you'll be out of the money that you paid for it if it wasn't a legitimate piece to begin with. Just a heads up.

All the best and happy Swiss time piece shopping!

~Nick

All the best to you and happy Swiss time piece shopping!

Old HeinzH

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
HeinzH is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-06-09 , 10:53 PM

I would like to bring a different perspective to your question.

TAG Heuer and Rolex both make good "time pieces", no question. But they are old technology. SEIKO has taken a completely different approach with their new "Premier Kinetic" series. The watch is mechanically wound, but the rotor activates a magnet which induces a current in a miniature coil, which then recharges a lithium battery. this way you have quartz accuracy, but it is still a (very) complicated electro-mechanical timepiece. To be clear SEIKO's kinetic technology has been around for some years.

The NEW twist in the "Premier Kinetic" line from SEIKO is: When the watch is not worn, it goes into "sleep mode" (for up to four or five years). You take it out, wear it for a minute, and all the little hands and dial then go to where they should now be. The watch has a 100-year calendar i.e. it corrects even for leap years (good until 2099). So now you have a perfectionist's dream: The watch is "precision mechanical" complicated, it is quartz accurate. It also has the finish and build quality comparable to the finest "all mechanical" Swiss watches. List price is ca. "$1,000 plus".

Old mel2356

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
mel2356 is on a distinguished road

Two more considerations....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 08-28-09 , 07:02 PM

1. Do you want this watch for the rest of your life? Consider then how you'll wear it. Every day? At work? Doing gardening, etc.? If you want a watch to last, it should be tailored to how hard you are on it.
2. There are FAR better (more expensive, better made, etc.) watches made than Tag or Rolex...among professionals, they are considered the bottom of the barrel, but that depends on what kind of watch you want. Durable? Dress? Potential family heirloom. Absolutely look into buying second hand from a reputable watch dealer.

Old micheljonshon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
micheljonshon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 09-26-09 , 07:31 AM

I like Rolex very much and I just want to buy it one day from my own money that I earn by my own. that's my dream.

micheljonshon signature
THE SUN RISE
Old henrythomas

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
henrythomas is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 10-15-09 , 07:56 AM

Both brands are known for making fine mechanical and quartz watches. If you are considering trading it in down the road, a Rolex may be a better choice, since it retains its intrinsic value and will be worth more than a Tag watch over time. Tag uses F to G color diamonds, and Rolex uses D color diamonds.

Old samjackson

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
samjackson is on a distinguished road

I like Tag heuer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 03-20-10 , 05:24 AM

i think Tag Heuer has more stylish watch designs than other brands.

Old k00lit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
k00lit is on a distinguished road

sell my rolex
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 04-06-10 , 02:52 AM

Rolex watch is still the number one for me. I own a Rolex Oyster for 2 years and till now i dont have any problem with my watch. I rcommend you to buy Rolex watch because
Owning a Rolex is like the ultimate status symbol, for rolex watches come at a very steep price, usually outside the income levels of many people. Rolexes come with an air of extravagance and class that very few luxuries offer. Purchasing a Rolex is like buying a piece of history.

Old frennyscott

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
frennyscott is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-01-10 , 01:24 AM

Rolex is much better then Heuer.TAG Heuer is a new name grafted onto the old Heuer brand. They do make some nice retro watches but Rolex holds its value better it is very protective of its price and reputation and the availability of spare parts.

frennyscott signature
Motgage Calculator
Old jclynadms

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
jclynadms is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 05-10-10 , 05:52 AM

There will be many good ones but only one would be the best and the same thing applies in the case that Tag is a good one, no doubt about that, but the thing is that Roles is the best. It has carved out a niche of its own in the recent years and has set the standards that is hard to beat. Though there are many good manufactures these days, but still when it comes to watches Roles beats them all.

Last edited by jclynadms : 05-10-10 at 05:53 AM.
Old DiamondDaveHale

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
DiamondDaveHale is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 06-01-10 , 05:44 PM

both are very high quality watches.

Old BeadMe

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 06-17-10 , 12:58 AM

First and foremost, a toast to this useful thread!

IMO, due to Tiger Woods' controversial infidelity I'm now going for Rolex!
I'm not a feminist or whatsoever.. it's just a thought.

Old jrborne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
jrborne is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 06-22-10 , 10:58 AM

A watch says a lot about who you are. I personally would not come near are Rolex or Tag. They are mass marketed and that is what you are purchasing. You see billboards for Mercedes/BMW but will never see one for Aston Martin/Ferrari... There is nothing wrong with this.

However, IMHO, Those who know watches, should appreciate yours.

With that said, consider an Omega, Panerai, IWC, even a Cartier Pasha... All of them will make a statement to the people that you need to make a statement to.

PS. I know this because I do own them all, amongst others.

Old rosettastone

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
rosettastone is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 07-08-10 , 08:44 PM

lol, i like rolex more, and i am crazy about this new one ROLEX

Read Messages in: WATCHES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Bvlgari Assioma watch by neo125
Up a Topic 1384008 5 08 ct J color VS2 clarity Diamond With AGS report posted in DIAMOND LISTINGS by JamesAllen
Older:
Down a Topic Would Like To Know How Much My Fred Gold Chrono Watch Could Be Worth by kgdavis
Down a Topic 16 Ct of VVS Rubelite Tourmaline Oval Cut posted in MEMBERS COLLECTIONS by devo800