Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Traceysob

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Traceysob is on a distinguished road

Asscher cut setting help needed!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-14-11 , 06:38 PM

I have a beautiful asscher engagement ring. I've had it for 4 years and I've had so many problems with it. The ring was a custom design and it makes me very sad that we need to change it. The problem is that the stone sits very high and it ends up being knocked loose in the setting. I try to be careful...I don't sleep, shower, cook or clean in it. But it keeps happening and after taking it in for the 3rd time I'm tired of repairing it. I don't want to to lose the diamond so I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it more secure.

The stone is 2.47 carats, VVS1 D set in platinum. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pics....they don't do the ring justice but you can get an idea of the setting.

Attached Images
Traceysob_ringside.jpg Traceysob_ringtop.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2535, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Asscher cut setting help needed!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-15-11 , 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceysob
I have a beautiful asscher engagement ring. I've had it for 4 years and I've had so many problems with it. The ring was a custom design and it makes me very sad that we need to change it. The problem is that the stone sits very high and it ends up being knocked loose in the setting. I try to be careful...I don't sleep, shower, cook or clean in it. But it keeps happening and after taking it in for the 3rd time I'm tired of repairing it. I don't want to to lose the diamond so I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it more secure.

The stone is 2.47 carats, VVS1 D set in platinum. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pics....they don't do the ring justice but you can get an idea of the setting.

Commercial platinum prong settings are notoriously flexible and will bend sideways rather easily. I would suggest making a new center section to hold that stone and replacing the existing prong setting. One downside to doing this is that using platinum solders that close to the existing side stones would jeopardize those stones, since platinum soldering is so hot that it would likely burn those stones. You can use a very white, white gold solder or have the new center section welded in place with a laser welder.

The design of the new center section could be a modified bezel style or very heavy prongs, as your taste dictates. If it were a bezel style, the sides could be pierced with a symbol or modified scroll work. I would set the stone as low as possible and would have it just a bit higher than the step distance between any of the adjacent sides diamonds. That's a very pretty ring and stone, a little work and it'll be great fun to wear and much more secure!

Michael_E signature
Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 90
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=963, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-16-11 , 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceysob

From your photo, the asscher diamond looks too big for the mounting. Was this a complete custom setting or did the jeweler replace the peg head of the original to fit your asscher? The mounting needs more space between the side diamonds for the prong to be dropped down more. Not the photo I included. Your ring should look more like this if it was made specifically for your size asscher. It looks like the jeweler tried to accommodate your diamond in the setting hence the extremely high prong. Also, your asscher could possibly be dropped a couple mm in the prong it is set in now. Notice in your photo the space below the point of the diamond.

Brit signature
***Specializing In Engagement Rings***
www.dbof.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-...4247?ref=search
Last edited by Brit : 06-16-11 at 10:39 AM.
Attached Images
comparison 1.jpg comparison 2.jpg

Old Traceysob

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-16-11 , 10:38 AM

Thank you for the suggestion.
I found this site doing a google search for asscher settings and came across a vintage asscher set with 6 prongs in a basket setting. Would that be a viable option or would that look stupid?
Here's the ring I saw
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=62360

Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-16-11 , 10:45 AM

Matter of fact, it looks like I may have found the exact setting you have, which in this case only takes up to a 5mm square stone which is approximately .75cts. I would talk to your jeweler who made the ring.

Brit signature
www.dbof.com

Old Traceysob

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-16-11 , 11:01 AM

The ring was made for the stone that is in it. Can you give me a link for the site you found that on? please

Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-16-11 , 03:08 PM

The ring is from Stuller. Most jewelers, including us, have access to their products. Here is the link and the ring nicely holds up to a 5mm max from the rings that they have in stock. You can put a larger diamond than that but then run into issues of it being to high on the finger. The ring can be made with 1.00ctw in the mounting or 1.25ctw in the mounting. Good news is it has a matching band.

http://www.stuller.com/products/12921/?groupId=6875

Brit signature
www.dbof.com

Last edited by Brit : 06-16-11 at 03:09 PM.
Old garret

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
garret is on a distinguished road

Setting
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-20-11 , 10:29 AM

It looks to me that the setting is too high to be strong enough for a diamond of that size. Would you consider lowering the setting?

and in the top view photo, it looks like one of the claws (upper left) is a bit weak (this may just be the picture, perhaps it's ok)

definately go and talk to the jeweller!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic White Sapphire vs Diamond vs Sim in an EC by synicgrrl
Up a Topic Thoughts On Selling Old DecoTraub Plat Ring w Box posted in JEWELRY by Franziska
Older:
Down a Topic I was just born and I know nothing of your diamond world by kosmidd
Down a Topic I was just born and I know nothing of your diamond world posted in DIAMONDS by kosmidd