Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old JamesAllen

My Profile
View profile photo
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:
Visit my blog :

My Karma
Power: 85
JamesAllen is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4038, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-12-99 , 02:03 PM

I've noticed that EGL/IGI certified diamonds often sell for far less than GIA certified diamonds of comparable cut, color, clarity, etc.

I understand that GIA is very strict. If I have a diamond with a GIA certificate, no jeweler is going to argue the attributes of the diamond. If, however, I have an EGL/IGI certified stone, people seem much less confident of the "accuracy" of the report.

Are these feelings justified? Are these other labs getting a bad rap, or is there really a "GIA" standard and a "everybody else" standard? Has the advent of any new computer technology helped to standardize these gradings? I know that clarity is the most difficult to judge, but can a person be reasonably confident that table percentages, color grading and symmetry are accurate regardless of the lab?

Jim Schultz
YoungPapa@netscape.net

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Wayne

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-12-99 , 02:35 PM

I think those feelings are justified. GIA is much more accurate than EGL and definitely more accurate than IGI.

But I wouldnt agree that no Jeweler would argue about a GIA certed diamond. GIA makes mistakes like everyone. Every Jeweler knows that you can ask GIA for a recheck and they may come back with a different grade.

I don't see computers ever replacing labs though, because how can a computer judge clarity? One inclusion may appear big and by a computer standard believe to be important, wheras a human would see that particular inclusion to not affect the beauty and thus not lose a grade.

Old JamesAllen

My Profile
View profile photo
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:
Visit my blog :

My Karma
Power: 85
JamesAllen is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4038, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-13-99 , 07:08 AM

Wayne -

What evidence do you have to support your claims? You state that GIA is "much more accurate than EGL and definitely more accurate than IGI". How do you define the term "accuracy"? Are you saying these labs use inferior equipment, poorly trained staff, or questionable judgement? I don't think this is an issue of accuracy, but of standards...

If I sent a diamond to EGL, IGI, and HRD and they all called it a H-VS2, then I sent the diamond to GIA and they called it a H-SI1, who is right? If a consumer can buy the diamond with a EGL cert of H-VS2 for less than the diamond would cost as a GIA cert of H-SI1, what is the better choice? What about the fact that a full EGL cert is going to give crown and pavillion angles that can effect the brilliance (and therefore the price) of the stone?

How do you think these labs feel about being called "inaccurate"? Do you think they are doing anything about it?

For years American cars got a bad rap. The automakers listened and made better cars. Is this same trend not taking place in the labs?

Respectfully,

Jim Schultz
YoungPapa@netscape.net

Old Wayne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-13-99 , 09:52 PM

By accuracy, I mean consistent to their own "standards". So if you resubmit the same stone, you should get the same grade each time. So I don't think it's about standards.

In your example, I don't think that it's common for a seller to sell a H-VS2 with a EGL cert for less than than it would cost as a GIA H-SI1. Because if that were the case, they would just get a GIA and charge the higher price.

Let me ask you in your heart of hearts... If you were to sell a diamond and the certificate didn't matter, which lab would you send it to?

If you were to buy a diamond, which certificate would you request the seller to provide?

Old Steven

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Steven is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-19-00 , 09:26 AM

I am in the process of not only learning diamonds, but purchasing one for my fiancee. I know airplanes, and regardless of what a person's opinion is of a particular make and model, there are specific criteria that are used to judge the value of an aircraft, aside from the asthetic choices. Do all labs adhere to precisely the same standards, or does each lab interpret standards in a unique way, injecting asthetic values, and could that be why GIA is more popular? Do people trust their "interpretation" more than the precise numbers?

------------------

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 265
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16530, In=5927
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-19-00 , 11:27 AM

All the laboratories are different and grade with different equipment. Some even use different grades such as SI3. My suggestion after looking at thousands of diamonds every year is to get the best value is to stick with the more stringent laboratories such as GIA or AGS. You also need to know about the cutting grades as well. There is some good information on this site in the tutorial as well as other threads.

Jan

------------------

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic McKenzie Bay International Ltd Purchases Kelsey Lake Diamond Mine From Redaurum Ltd by GilbertZ
Up a Topic McKenzie Bay International Ltd Purchases Kelsey Lake Diamond Mine From Redaurum Ltd posted in DIAMONDS by GilbertZ
Older:
Down a Topic TV shopping by jasmine
Down a Topic TV shopping posted in DIAMONDS by jasmine