Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old negyaz

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
negyaz is on a distinguished road

Why (or why not) buy from Tiffany?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-31-11 , 07:42 PM

Hello All,

I'm sure many different forms of this question have been asked on this forum. I did a search and I'm still sitting here with a question over my head... so please help me/ us!

My bf and I have recently started looking at engagement rings. We went to a few places first, DeBeers, David Yurman and Jared, though I know exactly what I want. I want the Tiffany Novo with a cushion cut 2-ish carat diamond. At Jared they said that could custom make the ring for me for around $15,000. I don't have details on a specific diamond from there but I know we were looking at ones that were in the g-j, VS1, Ideal range. I hadn't seen the actual Tiffany Novo when we went to Jared. The consultant there that helped us urged us to go to Tiffany and to see it before making any decisions. That day we left Jared feeling very un-impressed with selection...
Two days ago we finally went to Tiffany's to see the ring in person. We looked at two one was 2.15ct H, VS1w/16rd Dia.16 ct and the other 1.76 H,VS1 w/16 rd Dia.16ct. The 2.15ct one was $51,000 and the 1.76ct was $34,800. Between the two I really didn't see a significant difference so the consultant said that we should go with 1.76 if I did't see a$20,000 difference in two.
Anyway... all that being said... I am in love! We both left Tiffany very much in awe of this ring. Neither of us felt this way after Jared or any of the other stores.
Bf even said "I plan on doing this once so if Tiffany is truly the best then that's what I want to get you...i just wish there was somewhere to get unbiased advice".
I feel the same... I don't want to spend $30k on something I can get for $15K. At this point this is OUR money, for OUR life and future and I don't need for him to waste it on a brand name.
I own a Honda and have test driven a BMW. I love my car. but I always eye the beemer... I don't my ring to be the same!!!
So Why (or why not) buy from Tiffany?

Thanks in Advance!!!
neg

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=240, In=1

Re: Why (or why not) buy from Tiffany?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-01-11 , 07:07 PM

Hi negyaz and welcome to DiamondRing.com! The question of Tiffany vs. everything else has been brought here more than once. Although it is usually about the Tiffany solitaire the answer can be applied to your situation as well-- you are paying more for the ring because it is from Tiffany.

Creating a Novo style ring can be done via a custom made ring. Which would allow to you to be able to do whatever size center diamond you'd like and probably at a better price point. And there are probably some similar designs out there that would help you bypass even doing a custom ring. BUT, only you know how much that Tiffany & Co. trademark matters to you.

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Last edited by irish : 06-01-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old negyaz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-03-11 , 07:01 PM

The "Tiffany" label really doesn't matter to me. In fact I was all ready, willing and praying (in fact) that I wouldn't be moved by the stupid (beautiful) ring at Tiffany. That's why we went to Jared. Because when I saw the ring online I told BF this is what I want but PLEASE DON'T GO TO TIFFANY! But the problem has become the fact that nothing moved me the way that ring did. So I guess what I am looking for is what sets Tiffany apart. Why should I buy from there? And if nothing really does then why wasn't I moved at the notion of getting more carats for less money?!

Old Wangta

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Wangta is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-17-11 , 03:17 AM

I'm in the same boat! My girlfriend is in love with the Tiffany Novo cushion cut ~2 carat...I've just started to look for "other options", but I'm afraid that nothing will really match up after having seen the Novo in person.

This is my first time ring shopping and I was totally hit with sticker shock! $30K for a ring! Wow!!!!

negyaz - let me know how your decision goes....I think I'm going to go with Tiffany...I only plan on buying an engagement ring once, so I can amortize the $15K premium over the rest of our lives: $15k/60 years isn't too bad....right?

Old negyaz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-22-11 , 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta

negyaz - let me know how your decision goes....I think I'm going to go with Tiffany...I only plan on buying an engagement ring once, so I can amortize the $15K premium over the rest of our lives: $15k/60 years isn't too bad....right?

Wangta,
So after all the research that I've done I realized/accepted that a diamond is a diamond is a diamond. And that there doesn't need to be such a tremendous mark up. My bf/ftb said the same thing you did about the Tiffany ring but it just didn't sit well with me to shell out $35k on a ring.
I've been dealing with two people and one is Stein Diamonds, a guy named Kia there. He's been very good and showed me basically a diamond equal to the one I saw at Tiffany and offered to make the setting for almost a third of the Tiffany price. Every jeweler I've spoken to has said that the novo setting is very common and easy to make.
I'm not really concerned with having a Tiffany's stamp on my ring. I just want to make sure I am getting something of quality that I will love.
Whatever you decide don't look back and second guess yourself.
Good luck to you!
n

Old JaniceF

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
JaniceF is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-22-11 , 04:58 PM

I was actually wondering about the price and whether you could just buy the ring without the diamonds? I'm sure Tiffany marks their diamonds up more than your regular jeweler. Even if you couldn't get the ring without diamonds, I'm sure a custom jeweler could make one for much less.

JaniceF signature
Janice - I love planning weddings.
Old SRK123

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
SRK123 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-28-12 , 02:58 AM

Hey Neg,
I totally understand your situation. I was in a similar one a few months ago when I was looking for the perfect engagement ring. My advice to you- is not to spend too muhc money on your ring. Sure Tiffany rings are great, but there are so many sites and stores where you can find beautiful rings of the same quality, for much cheaper. After doing some research online, I found this site to be helpful: http://www.engagement-rings-settings.com/
Hope this helps just a bit. Good luck!
SR

Old Icerocc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Icerocc is infamous around these parts Icerocc is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-20-13 , 03:42 PM

I wouldn't buy an engagement ring from Tifffany's. I feel like its overpriced just because of the brand. I rather have a bigger diamond or nicer setting than spend the money on the brand.

Old HERMAN

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
HERMAN is on a distinguished road

Why (or why not) buy from Tiffany
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-15-13 , 06:03 PM

You might read this article - it might help.

http://www.truthaboutdiamonds.co m...tiffany-and-co/

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Resizing Eternity Ring by slo
Up a Topic I need melee posted in DIAMONDS by Portal2012
Older:
Down a Topic Please HELP me find this by LilLinz114
Down a Topic What do you think posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by fantabulator