Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old chazafish

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
chazafish is on a distinguished road

can rough diamonds be cut in australia?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-18-11 , 11:36 AM

Hi all new to this i have found a rough that has been confirmed by a gemmologist
to be a very pure diamond what i need to find out is if there is anywhere safe to have it valued and cut in Australia

cheers

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old bluewhite

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light

Re: can rough diamonds be cut in australia?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-28-11 , 07:54 AM

Hi

If you're in possession of a rough diamond without a rough dealers licence you could be in hot water. I'm not too sure on the diamond laws in Australia but here in south africa if you're caught with rough diamonds without being in possession of a valid licence you're arrested on the spot. Also you could be asked if the diamond comes with a kimberly process certificate and if not they could pin that whole "blood diamond" thing on you. Another thing is that sometimes manufacturing the rough is not always the right thing to do. Rough diamonds are sometimes sold at higher prices than if they were polished. Also having a diamond cut is not cheap. Here in sa to polish a 4.00ct rough diamond (delivering 2x 1.00ct matching polished stones) will cost $71 per carat.....thats $285 (american) to polish a 4.00 rough diamond. For you to know if you get the same stone back in the polished after its been cut you'd need a rough diamond dealer to check the colour purity and what size you should get back. If the stone in the rough is for example estimated at a 1.00ct h vs1 and you get back 0.75 k si3 you know to go back and break a finger because then the stones been swoped. Anyway i've just given you a peek at the world of rough diamonds feel free to ask me about anything on this subject

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Cleaning rough diamonds by psychicredhead
Up a Topic Cleaning rough diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by psychicredhead
Older:
Down a Topic Advice on Purchase by Toriblue
Down a Topic In search of an engagement ring posted in Greet New Members by blinde2lsu