Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Mbeighey

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
Mbeighey is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-02-02 , 11:11 PM

We recently took a cruise to the carribean. While we were in Cozumel, we decided to look at some of their diamonds. We looked in one of the diamond stores that the cruise promotes. They did not even have any good quality diamonds. The diamond that we looked at was 1.50 I3, they were asking close to 25,000.00 for the diamond. I asked them what is the color of the diamond. The lady tried to tell us that it was an "A" in color. My bopyfriend asked if the 25,000.00 was american money, when the lady said yes, we started laughing. I cannot believe that they think that tourists are stupid enough to believe what they are saying. I would not have given them 25,000.00 for a diamond that was obviously very low quality; I wouldn't even have given them 5,000. Needless to say we will not be looking at diamonds in the carribean again.
Misty

The above "Ask Diamond Talk" post was filled out online at http://www.diamondring.com/forums/n...amondq uestion

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
moediamonds is on a distinguished road

I agree Misty
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-02-02 , 11:23 PM

One word about Cruise jewelry stores: "RACKET"

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
YourGemologist is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4356, In=1733
Referrals: 13

Those "rackets"....are American
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-03-02 , 03:54 AM

MoeDiamonds.com

Funny thing about the statements that you and Mbeighey make about the island jewelers being rackets......

That company Mbeighey was shopping with in Cozumel is owned by a United States diamond company located on 5th Avenue in New York City.

Truth is, I traveled the islands for 10 years testing the jewelers for the cruise lines. And both of you are flat wrong in making this broad statement condemning the island jewelery industry.

Virtually all of the stores doing what you are complaining about are owned by United States jewelry companies doing business in the islands. Because they are the only one's who can afford to pay the cruise lines the big money for promotion.

There is a whole level of highly professional jewelers from South America and Europe in the islands who are top notch professionals.

Too bad Mbeighey missed them. And too bad you two make these inflammatory allegations when you are so very, very wrong.

And yes, that company in Cozumel who Mbeighey is complaining about........is owned by an American diamond dealer at 589 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY.

And by the way....its spelled Caribbean...not Carribean. If your going to complain about it at least spell the name right.

Robert James FGA, GG
http://www.YourGemologist.com

[Edited by YourGemologist on 03-03-02 at 02:57 AM]

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 84
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3569, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-03-02 , 04:03 AM

I read only: "diamond stores that the cruise promotes" and "Cruise jewelry stores" - I didn't see an attack on the islanders. More like a statement about the jewelers that the cruise lines recommend.

Perhaps you could offer her suggestions for reputable jewelers? Misty simply relayed her experience...Perhaps use that vast knowledge to TEACH, rather than attack...

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-03-02 , 04:10 AM

YG: Down boy, down!

I don't think I would buy a diamond in the Caribbean, U.S. seller or not! Even if the seller was reputable (I've heard that many aren't, but I have no personal experience), I'd like to be in a position where I could return pretty easy if I had a problem.

Em

Old Mbeighey

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-03-02 , 04:15 AM

If I had the same experience with a jeweler that was located in the United States, and New York for that matter, I would be complaining about them. I am not against the Caribbean Jewelers. If they are jewelers from the United States, then I really do not appreciate their way of doing business. I do not really care what their origin is. However, if salespeople are selling diamonds, they should at least know something about what they are attempting to sell you. I have as high of a markup on diamonds in the United States, and have never been quoted a price like the one that this jewelry store quoted. I would not trust buying a diamond from the Caribbean, unless they had a return policy. I did not mean to condemn all of the jewelers in the Caribbean, but tourists are led to believe that the jewelers in the Caribbean are not of American origin.
Misty

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Read again Stephanie
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-03-02 , 04:22 AM

Stephanie,

Perhaps you missed the line that read:

"Needless to say we will not be looking at diamonds in the carribean again." This was a indictment of the Caribbean as a whole (in spite of the spelling error from her).

And there are many good jewelers down there who are also on the cruise line promotion schedules.

I suggest that you need a better understanding of the topic before you try to discipline me for my posting. Or does the fact that the company giving the problem is a US jeweler not seem important to you?

How long have you been in gemology school? Have you studied the Federal Trade Commission Guides yet?

Robert James FGA, GG

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-03-02 , 04:40 AM

EM and Misty,

Go back and read the first and second post, and then read mine again. I was simply stating that the jeweler in question was from New York, and that it is not right to paint the picture you did, Misty, about the island jewelers as a whole.

Misty...does the name Diamond Creations sound familiar.....

My point is that your postings make a broad swath against the Caribbean whether you admit it now or not. And it is obvious that neither of you know much about it down there. So its not right that you make these statetments.

And yes, I lived and worked down there for 10 years and have a lot of good, professional jeweler friends in the islands.

And regardless of what you think, there is a lot of jewelry shopping to be had in the islands that is not available in the United States.

You just need to know enough about jewelry shopping to be able to know where to go shop.

If you had a problem, Misty, maybe you just don't know enough about jewelry to make a proper shopping decision. If not, you need my video, Gemology in Motion..Cruise Edition.

You might have a totally different experience next time.

And Stephanie...how many cruises have you taken anyway? How much jewelry shopping have you done in the islands?

Robert James FGA, GG

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
moediamonds is on a distinguished road

Caribbean
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-03-02 , 11:23 AM

Thanks for the correction.....

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Well said, OldMiner
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-03-02 , 11:56 AM

David,

What an excellent overview of topic. I always appreciate your insight. That was very well explained and right on point.

Thank you.

Robert James

Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

Fair enough...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-03-02 , 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by YourGemologist
EM and Misty,

Go back and read the first and second post, and then read mine again.

I did, but I still think either your posts are a bit biting or are being recieved wrong.

Em

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-03-02 , 03:20 PM

LOL.....OK EM, its most likely the former and not the latter...but if I ruffled your feathers you have my apology.

Robert James FGA, GG

Old BobtheDinosaur

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
BobtheDinosaur is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=158, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-03-02 , 04:06 PM

YG, for what it's worth I read more than one of your comments on this thread as "a bit biting". For instance, after Stephanie took a bit of shot at you, you in turn responded with what I viewed as a couple in return. I do appreciate the consumers and gemologists in training who question authority, it's a good way for folks to to learn and bring out some of the finer points. It's just my opinion, but I think someone in your position (teacher of experience) should let these thing go right on by, like water off a duck's back . Stand above the fray , that enhances your appearance of authority and impartiality.

Just my $0.02.

Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
Diamond in the Ruck is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-03-02 , 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Dinosaur
YG, for what it's worth I read more than one of your comments on this thread as "a bit biting". For instance, after Stephanie took a bit of shot at you, you in turn responded with what I viewed as a couple in return. I do appreciate the consumers and gemologists in training who question authority, it's a good way for folks to to learn and bring out some of the finer points. It's just my opinion, but I think someone in your position (teacher of experience) should let these thing go right on by, like water off a duck's back . Stand above the fray , that enhances your appearance of authority and impartiality.

Just my $0.02.

Bob I agree. One other thing YG you missed a question mark at the end of your question:

"Misty...does the name Diamond Creations sound familiar....."

I appreciate correct grammar as much as the next guy but raking them over the coals for such a simple spelling mistake lends to the bite of your comments. "Just my $0.02"

Diamond in the Ruck signature
Rucker
The older I get the better I was.
Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Can't we all just get along?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-03-02 , 05:32 PM

Can't we all just get along?

Rucker
Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 195
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 03-03-02 , 06:44 PM

I signed up for a cruise once but it turned out to be "crews" and they wanted me to row! No food on board either! What a drag.

Now, tell me what does "Bahamian and Liberian registry" mean, IOW what laws can they circumscribe being registerd there? I know they pay their staff next to nothing which is why you have to tip for everything.

I took the mule trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon once, but that's as close as I've been to a cruise.

The Rodentman

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Mbeighey

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 03-03-02 , 07:03 PM

YG,
The store that we were shopping at was not called Diamond Creations. I never even saw a store by that name while we were in Cozumel. I may not know as much as a gemologists or diamond appraiser. But, I do know that the stone that they were trying to sell us was obviously a "J" in color or lower. The last time I checked GIA grades diamonds from D-Z in color. So where would an "A" in color come from?

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 84
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3569, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 03-03-02 , 07:27 PM

My goodness ...you know, this is a first for me, after a year of being here, I've never had anyone come out spitting nails at me before, Robert. I simply wanted to point out that you had a consumer on your hands who was venting about a particular experience and had drawn a conclusion from it (as consumers do), and that you were missing a great opportunity to educate her, especially since this is an area you specialize in. After all, isn't that one of the main purposes of DT? Wasn't intended to be a 'shot.' As for my 'needing a better understanding of the topic,' my response was intended to be broad, and not go into details or opinions about things that are beyond my experience. I read and responded from a consumer's point of view (realizing how your post would most likely be taken)- you'll notice I did not attempt to impart any wisdom that my five insignificant months at GIA has taught me. Yes, that sounded snippy - I'm a bit surprised that you started taking shots at my lack of education and lack of experience in the Caribbean since I didn't respond with gemological advise, but another consumer's perspective. To answer your questions: 1 cruise; I wouldn't dream of doing any expensive jewelry shopping without the proper knowledge; I don't pretend to know who's from where, or anything else about it, so what company came from where actually wasn't any concern of mine - trying to get information and salving the sting of your comment for a relatively new poster was what concerned me.
Let's hope this helps us all just get along, Rucker. I don't get involved with these DT squabbles , and I've never been in front of the firing squad before. Guess it had to happen some time.

Thank you Dave, that was a great post.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Last edited by GemGoddess : 05-29-04 at 09:48 PM.
Old ragged

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ragged is on a distinguished road

Rodentman-Humor
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 03-03-02 , 07:31 PM

Rodentman...Oh how I appreciate your humor!!

Anytime things get way too serious
on DT you're right here to lend your
uniqueness. Man you should be doing stand-up. I'm still smiling! :-)
Say you'll never leave and keep posting.

A Fan

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Stop your whining
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 03-03-02 , 08:09 PM

Stephanie, Rucker, Misty, et al...

I find it interesting just how much you all miss the point due to all of your whining.

Misty, that you had a problem shopping is without question. My point was your generalization of the island jewelers as I stated earlier. And your accusing the entire island jewelry market due to the problems you had with one jeweler, who you still refuse to name.

Stephanie, you and Rucker and Bob are new to the business and have not yet formed long term business relationships. I have many years working with the island jewelers and when someone like moediamonds.com comes along and refers to them as a "racket" I am going to respond. I have been through everything from hurricanes to political uprisings with those people down there. And anyone who makes inflammatory remarks about their ethics will always get a rise out of me. If you can't handle that, stay out of the discussion.

Perhaps when you all have been in this business long enough to form those kinds of relationships you will know what it means to protect your people.

Beyond that, you all need to get a tougher outer skin. And deal with the specific points and stop whining about getting your feelings hurt.

Misty...point blank question: What was the name of the store you were shopping with? I know people down there who can get us some answers to your concerns.

Now...do you want answers?

Robert James FGA, GG

Old icequeen

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
icequeen is on a distinguished road

YourGemologist
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 03-03-02 , 08:55 PM

We're going to St. Lucia for our honeymoon in April. Is there any reputable dealer you know of on that island we can go to check out some pretty rocks?

Old sweet7696

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
sweet7696 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Son of a crackwhore....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 03-03-02 , 09:07 PM

you guys can be so mean sometimes!!
Jess

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 195
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 03-03-02 , 09:10 PM

Ragged, Thanks, trying to add buoyancy to sinking cruise liner, but...

The Rodentman

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 03-03-02 , 10:29 PM

Sorry your highness! In the words of Wayne and Garth I'm not worthy I'm not worthy. I know I am a rookie, and I can see where you would want to defend your carribean sic friends but I think that if you really wanted to change their views then you could have approached it from a more diplomatic stance. Sorry to harm the hem on your garment.

Rucker
Old onelove

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
onelove is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=9, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 03-04-02 , 09:11 AM

There is always so much confusion and heated debates when it comes to shopping in the Caribbean.

To the consumer just stepping off the ship can be one of the most overwhelming experiences imaginable. Hundreds of stores that all seem alike, intense selling, some prices set for extreme haggling, some prices firm. I know that even as a gemologist, my head was spinning on my first trip to the islands.

Oldminer has it right. Most deals in the islands are fair deals. Some better than others. The key is to be educated BEFORE you go. The cruise lecturers do a wonderful job of getting people excited about shopping. (and Dave is right, more of that attitude is needed in the states)

The selection in the islands is amazing. You will have the opportunity to see gems that are virtually unavailable in the states. Just this last week I saw a chess set. The chess board (approx 1 foot square) was made of pave black and white diamonds, the chessmen were also studded with black and whites. Price was around a half million. I went back two days later to get a photo of it....and it was sold!

There are many fine jewelers that you can trust in the islands that will go out of their way to keep their customers happy. One store just asked me to look into a customer's concern about a purchase made in 1995. They are not interested in having me "save a sale" but rather to just find the truth and make sure the customer is satisfied. Again, more of this type of attitude is sorely needed right here in the states.

I am so fortunate! I get to work closely with some of the finest businesses in the world. These are stores that I would send my own mother in to shop with confidence, even without the stores knowing that she is my mother. In fact she has done just that.

If you would like more information about shopping in the islands, please visit http://www.carigem.org Here you will find a list of stores where you can shop with confidence and be assured that you will be treated as a valued client even long after the sale.

Anyone may also contact us at contactcgi@hotmail.com and ask any questions you might have. We are here to help.

And if you are in the islands and you see a guy lugging about 100 lbs of equipment around looking exhausted or a guy in the back with his face stuck to a microscope, it's probably me. Stop me and say hi, I won't bite. I'll just take you out for a day of awesome shopping!

Dave Siskin, GG
President, Carigem International/Caribbean Gemological Institute.
The consumers guide to duty free shopping in the Caribbean http://www.carigem.org

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Platinum Settings by Mbeighey
Up a Topic Platinum Settings posted in DIAMONDS by Mbeighey
Older:
Down a Topic Who wants more pictures by sweet7696
Down a Topic Who wants more pictures posted in DIAMONDS by sweet7696