Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 10023v

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
10023v is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-27-02 , 08:15 PM

im very new to diamonds. i am thinking of purchasing this stone and what to know what peoples comments are.

i am concerned about the cut. is this a good cut? i entered this information in the Holloway Cut Adviser and it got a 2.9 (very good - worth buying if the price is right). FIre and scintillaion got Fair. having the Fire and scintillaion Fair, what does that mean??

thanks.
Lab: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.01
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Price: $5650
Measurements: 6.49x6.52x3.96
Depth: 60.9
Table Percent: 58
Crown: angle 32.1%
Pavillion: angle 41.6%
Girdle: Medium -SlightlyThick, -
Culet: None,
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Certificate Comments: Glouds are not shown

The above "Ask Diamond Talk" post was filled out online at http://www.diamondring.com/forums/n...amondq uestion

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Mark54g

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
Mark54g is on a distinguished road

It means...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-27-02 , 08:17 PM

that the crown angles are too tight. 32 is a flat crown and it wont return light very well. If you like a diamond to return colored light, aka fire, then 35 is about a good angle, someone better versed can correct me if I am totally wrong, but I doubt that. Scintillation is white light return and makes the diamond "glow" especially in low light. I would advise you to keep looking.

Old buttercup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
buttercup is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-27-02 , 08:34 PM

better to spend your money on a fabulous cut versus any of the other C's. a piece of advise...unless you absolutely have to go over the 1ct mark b/c your girl will be unhappy with anything else, try going right under 1cts. At the 1ct mark, the price really jumps up. A .9ct with an exceptional cut will probably look better than that other diamond because of all the sparkle and light return. http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=13408
Here's a great alternative if you must hit the 1ct mark.
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/10...187&_s=1012&_p= *$5478 0.3HCA*
or http://www.goodoldgold.com/185.htm *$6050, 1.1 HCA*
The color is a grade lower, but I bet if you were to hold these Gs up to that F, nobody would be able to tell the difference, these stones is going to give off so much light that the body color will be masked. Also, the clarity is 2 grades lower, but I'm of the opinion that as long as long as there aren't any naked-eye-obvious inlcusions, it doesn't matter, but some people feel very differently it depends on what's important to you. My point: spend your money on cut over both color or clarity.

[Edited by buttercup on 02-27-02 at 07:41 PM]

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 200
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-27-02 , 08:56 PM

One, and sometimes even 2 color grades are difficult to tell apart. A superior cut will face up extremely favorably. I compared my J EightStar to some AGS ideals, D and G when loose. I mean the stones were loose, not me. Through the side, as color is graded, they were different. Face up, only the D was noticeably different. The G and J were so very close. The warmer colored EightStars have incredible fire.

The Rodentman

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old 10023v

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
10023v is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-28-02 , 06:00 PM

thanks for your valuable comments. what you all are saying makes a lot of sense. i cant thank you enough. well, my hunt continues...

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic what is your favorite everyday earrings by TALA
Up a Topic what is your favorite everyday earrings posted in DIAMONDS by TALA
Older:
Down a Topic New to DiamondTalk so many questions by Domino
Down a Topic New to DiamondTalk so many questions posted in DIAMONDS by Domino